idle problem but no CEL

sinnedam

Established Member
So about 4 months ago I got a CEL. pulled the codes and installed a TPS sensor. CEL went away. Now though when im gearing down to stop sometimes my car wants to die or almost die before it idles back up to where it should be. ALSO if im slowing down to stop a light for instance, my car wants to idle at 1500 RPM's until i come to a complete stop..and i mean 0 MPH. when i stop it idles down to where it should be at about 900 or so. WTF is causing that? is it two seperate issues?:shrug:

Thanks guys.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Idle air control (IAC). Try flushing it out a couple of times with carb cleaner. Use an old toothbrush if necessary to help with the tougher buildup. Don't try to move the pintel, it's screw-driven, not push-pull.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
ALSO if im slowing down to stop a light for instance, my car wants to idle at 1500 RPM's until i come to a complete stop..and i mean 0 MPH. when i stop it idles down to where it should be at about 900 or so. WTF is causing that? is it two seperate issues?:shrug:

It is normal for the idle to stay up at about 1200 RPM until you come to a stop. The ensures you have power for brakes and steering. 1500 seems a little high to me, as does 900 when stopped, but you can't really trust the tach to be that accurate. You might want to check for a small vacuum leak.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Yes, good suggestions. Try checking for vacuum leaks, then honestly depending on cost you might just want to replace the IAC. You can try cleaning it and see if it gets better though.

I check for leaks using a smoke machine at work, so I guess I'm spoiled lol. If you can get your hands on one, definately use one!

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
I can tell you that your problem is with the TPS. I can not tell you how to fix it because when I fought that problem for weeks on end I fixed it by putting on a second TPS but know nothing was wrong with the one I had. TPS is cheap....try another one and after putting it on...turn on the key for about 10 sec. but do not start it. Do this three times and start it on the forth. I know it sounds like voo doo but 96-98 learn closed at key on (if that is what you have). 94-95 I am thinking need to be adj to .95 volts closed. Like I said...I have had this, I fixed it with a second TPS and the key trick but I would not put my life on it....lol
Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread