idle issue on decel

PKFIRE

Established Member
I'm trying to correct a decel issue. When the flow of air is being forced into my air intake the car can not adjust for the increase in air volume at idle. I have used mass air flow cleaner and changed out the idle control motor but no luck. It happens on high speed decel( 80 mph or higher), shop fan and I can use a hair dryer blown across the air filter to cause the motor to shut off. I think it has something to do with the air filter being too free flowing. It's a FIPK, any ideas? My tuner could not adjust out with dash pot settings.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Get a new tuner then(no offense), common issue with these cars. You have simple mods that should be no issue to tune out. Ford even had a factory reflash for this issue.

PKFIRE

Established Member
I have a good tuner here in Ohio. I did have the factory reflash done 10 years ago which worked great with my k&n and 2.8 tune at modular depot but I've changed my set up and throttle body tune quite a few times since then. Not sure if that factory reflash is even part of the tune anymore.

bubblehead93

Established Member
a number of things to go look at in the tune besides dashpot settings, this is a transient fueling issue, I would start with the failed MAF table and go from there...

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I have a good tuner here in Ohio. I did have the factory reflash done 10 years ago which worked great with my k&n and 2.8 tune at modular depot but I've changed my set up and throttle body tune quite a few times since then. Not sure if that factory reflash is even part of the tune anymore.

Got it, didn't know you swapped out the TB. There's a thread in here somewhere regarding this and a high idle issue.

PKFIRE

Established Member
It is a ported stocker now. I had a Dragon and it was mess between sending it back and trying to get it to idle right. My tuner had to tune the ported stocker which is world's better but I now have a decel issue.

PKFIRE

Established Member
I looked at my car today and it has to be in the tune. Everything was working properly but the rate at which the IAC would adjust to the additional air was very slow to respond. I tried two IAC's with the same results. I unplugged the IAC and it died as expected. The only way I can think that I could correct it with out a tune change is to prevent incoming air from passing over the airfilter. Like a box or something. I'm sure people have had luck with my simple combo. BA3000, Ported Stocker TB and FIPK K&N.

Users who are viewing this thread