Identify the(engine) noise (Videos)

d3mon_fx

SVT N00b
Established Member
Identify the(engine) noise (Videos) Fixed!!!

UPDATE:
Jimmy You are The f...ing man, I was going to wait till the weekend to take the belts off... 102 degrees in North TX right now, in the mean time i bought the stethoscope today.

After I got home got under the car and seemed that the noise was coming from the AC compressor, turned AC on/off to get rid of the sound, got under the car really fast and after a couple of minutes BAM the compressor started to make the noise, also noticed oil around it so i guess I have a leak and the compressor is dying, thank God it the chains are good. I cant believe it took me 10 minutes and 10 bucks to find the noise which was bugging me for a month. If you ever around the Metroplex shoot me a text and I'll buy you a beer:beer:

A couple of weeks ago while parking my 03 Vert a noticed this weird clanking sound. So i have some homework for you my fellow terminator owners

Weird clanking sound

Where: Front of engine passenger side.
When: only when car is hot, the sound is not there on cold cranks.
Why:AC COMPRESSOR FAILING

Notes: When I turn the A/C on the sound disappears and stays away when I turn the A/C off still gone but will reappear after a while.

I showed it to a couple of my friends, one an ex Ford Tech (Transmissions mostly) and the other a mechanic with 15+ years of experience in various cars. Their first thought was the A\C clutch but they checked it and said it was good.

Anyways, the Ford tech says it might be a timing chain with a broken tensioner since with heat the chain expands and hits the casing, he says that the sound might go away with the A/C on because the A\C puts a different load on the engine.

The other guy says that if is the timing chain sound it should be there always even with the car cold, and thinks is a pulley going bad.

What do you guys think?

Below are the videos taken with my phone

Noise sound

When I turn A/C is On

After the A/C is turned off

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
A couple of weeks ago while parking my 03 Vert a noticed this weird clanking sound. So i have some homework for you my fellow terminator owners

Weird clanking sound

Where: Front of engine passenger side.
When: only when car is hot, the sound is not there on cold cranks.
Why:?????

Notes: When I turn the A/C on the sound disappears and stays away when I turn the A/C off still gone but will reappear after a while.

I showed it to a couple of my friends, one an ex Ford Tech (Transmissions mostly) and the other a mechanic with 15+ years of experience in various cars. Their first thought was the A\C clutch but they checked it and said it was good.

Anyways, the Ford tech says it might be a timing chain with a broken tensioner since with heat the chain expands and hits the casing, he says that the sound might go away with the A/C on because the A\C puts a different load on the engine.

The other guy says that if is the timing chain sound it should be there always even with the car cold, and thinks is a pulley going bad.

What do you guys think?

Below are the videos taken with my phone

Noise sound

When I turn A/C is On

After the A/C is turned off

Buy an automotive stethoscope at your local parts store, they work wonders.

OEM/Mechanic's stethoscope (25210) | Automotive Stethoscope | AutoZone.com

horspla2000

Established Member
agree w stethoscope. Also agree w belts. Question, if its making the noise, and you turn the AC on, does the noise go away instantly?? It doesn't quite sound like an AC clutch/bearing noise, but hard to tell from the sound quality on the vids.

horspla2000

Established Member
also, when you do remove the belts, give the AC pulley a spin by hand. It should spin fairly free and be smooth w no play or roughness felt.

d3mon_fx

SVT N00b
Established Member

CanuckSnake

Established Member
Taking the belts off will eliminate all the accessories, thus telling you if the noise is still there its coming from the engine/valvetrain. If its quiet you know the noise is coming from the accessories, eg. a/c, tensioner, alt, whatever. Just don't run it for too long, your water pump won't be turning. Good luck:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread