Idea to make our market section safer

Ironhand

Banned
That's way too much to ask of SVTP to offer an escrow service.

Yup, now that's a good idea.

I'm a member on 3si.org, they have a system where the admins verify all your personal information before you're allowed to create threads in the classified sections. Then again they have a MUCH smaller user base, doing the same on SVTP could become tedious.

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center - Announcements in Forum : Classifieds

You would just have to add a few mods in the market section to fill that void.

Jaysin

Established Member
I like this idea. Requiring your name, email, home address, phone number is an excellent idea. I would add a verification by a moderator of the info before the item can be posted.

Yea I thought it was a great idea. I've owned my neon for almost 4 yrs now, and I've bought a lot of parts used through srtforums. I've been scammed once, and there were a lot of guys having problems with scammers. Once the mods got strict and changed the format it really helped relieve some of the problems.

I like the set-up, I just sold my downpipe on srtforums last week, and I've had zero issues with anything related to it. It's a little bit of security seeing the actual item, with the date, and their screen name all displayed in the photo.

Not to say you still can't be scammed, as your still taking a risk. But it sure beats spending say 1k on some Terminator seats that someone never posted pics of, or sent you pics of them from 2 yrs ago when they WERE in perfect condition.

Just my 2 cents.

txyaloo

Established Member
They require you to post your name, email, address, phone number, then you MUST take a picture of your item, WITH a sheet of paper with your screen name, date, and srtforums.com on it. Once you hit submit thread, your thread isn't even posted until a mod verifies everything, then it gets displayed.

I've suggested this several times over the years and been blown off. Don't expect to get anywhere with it.

Jaysin

Established Member
I've suggested this several times over the years and been blown off. Don't expect to get anywhere with it.

Thats suck doesn't it? I think it's a good idea personally, and it's worked on srtforums. It's like quality control haha. I'm all for it, but oh well. All you can do is give your opinion, and I've done that.

txyaloo

Established Member
Thats suck doesn't it? I think it's a good idea personally, and it's worked on srtforums. It's like quality control haha. I'm all for it, but oh well. All you can do is give your opinion, and I've done that.

It works on a lot of forums. I'm not sure why Travis won't implement it here other than a potential man power issue.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
There are some good ideas here, but some would be plagued by issues of cost, man power, legal complexity, etc. The most logical ideas would be requiring a pic of the actual item with proof of actual possession and requiring a more complete description of the items.

I like the idea of handling the transaction through a trusted 3rd party, but I know that I'm not the person for that job. I don't believe I have spent 7 days in a row at my house yet this year. The parties involved my get a bit upset when I go on the road for 2 weeks.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
There are some good ideas here, but some would be plagued by issues of cost, man power, legal complexity, etc. The most logical ideas would be requiring a pic of the actual item with proof of actual possession and requiring a more complete description of the items.

I like the idea of handling the transaction through a trusted 3rd party, but I know that I'm not the person for that job. I don't believe I have spent 7 days in a row at my house yet this year. The parties involved my get a bit upset when I go on the road for 2 weeks.

I don't think any honest, well-meaning sellers would be put off by the extra legwork of posting photos showing proof of possession and such. I know I wouldn't. Any move like that would be a step in a better direction IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread