IC pump will not work after VMP HE install

bomber0128

Established Member
Hey guys,

I installed the VMP HE with fans today. I didn't have any instructions, just used the post from Goose which was great. The install went well until I jumped the pump circuit. The fans ran, but the pump did not run. Anyone have an issue with this?

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Its probably because there is air in the pump. I had the same problem and I forced some coolant in the pump to get it going and that was it.

bomber0128

Established Member
Thanks guys, I'm an idiot. I just didn't have the tank full enough and then did what TVS vert said. Lol! Flowing now. Thanks again.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Hey guys,

I installed the VMP HE with fans today. I didn't have any instructions, just used the post from Goose which was great. The install went well until I jumped the pump circuit. The fans ran, but the pump did not run. Anyone have an issue with this?

Glad my install thread was useful for you and your problem is resolved.

bomber0128

Established Member
Thanks again Goose. You're post was extremely helpful. I'm at KSWF, happy flying...

Mongopushn

Established Member
How was the install? I just ordered one today along with the larger tank and new t-stat.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Btw guys, the full instructions are a link on the sheet of paper that comes in every VMP Performance heat exchanger.

Glad you got it up and running.

You can also get 24/7 tech support on our website.

sleek98

Established Member
I stuck a screw driver in between the hose and the pump, it let just enough air/coolant out to break the airlock and worked great.

Install was super easy. I trimmed the stock air dams and put them back in so the air is forced through the radiator, it might not have been required but figured I would do it.

Also threw the car up on the dyno this weekend, with back to back pulls they were basically identical lost 1 hp between them. I only have the elbow, H/E and Thermostat installed and Still running a stock tune so I am not even taking full advantage of the fans yet. My buddies stock Hellcat lost 10 hp each run, he did three.

Last edited:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I had my first summer last year with my dual fan H/E. It was simply amazing how the power stayed constant, in all kinds of heat. Before the H/E it felt good for about 20mins after a overnight cold start.

bomber0128

Established Member
Mongo, the install was very easy. I took my time, from start to finish I did it in about 5 hours. VMP made a great kit, the wire harness was a snap to install. This weekend I'm installing the GEN2 I'm hoping that it goes as smoothly as this did.

Mongopushn

Established Member
Mongo, the install was very easy. I took my time, from start to finish I did it in about 5 hours. VMP made a great kit, the wire harness was a snap to install. This weekend I'm installing the GEN2 I'm hoping that it goes as smoothly as this did.

Good deal, I received mine in the mail today. Now I'm just waiting for some nicer weather. That things a beast, looks like its going to be a tight fit.

As far as the Gen II, shouldn't be bad. I swapped my Eaton for a GEN I, it should be about the same install. My biggest suggestion would be to take your time and label ever vacuum line and hose before you take them off. I used blue painters tape and a marker, whatever works for you.

Also pictures before the removal are your friend. I was surprised how many lines there was once the old blower was removed.

Not sure if your coming from an stock Eaton but if you are you'll be amazed by the new power, night and day.

Last edited:

VNMOUS1

Established Member

Quicker and easier than that! There's a full write up as a sticky in our vendor section. Print her out and enjoy. Hit me up on email (not PM) if you have any questions.

bj

bomber0128

Established Member
Good to hear Mongo. It was a tight fit, but it fit perfect. Its a great unit. I would suggest using the post that Goose wrote on the install along with the instruction. I will Definitely take pics and label the hoses and lines, thanks. BJ, I will be using that sticky and all of the other resource at my disposal. My goal is not to have to email you......... that much.:D

builttodrive

Established Member
Just installed one here recently on an 11 GT500. We just left the IC pump loose and held it down below the heat exchanger and it instantly started to pump coolant. Than just re-attach it to the bracket and you are good to put everything back together.

Mongopushn

Established Member
Just got mine installed on my 08', very nice piece and install wasn't too bad. The biggest pain was removing all the little screws and bolts holding everything together. The actual heat exchanger work was a breeze. I still haven't installed the larger reservoir tank, my question is what would be the benefit? According to the diagram from VMP and the direction of flow it would just hold more super-heated fluid leaving the blower. Is there something I'm not seeing here?

Attachments

• Capture 3.PNG
    Capture 3.PNG
    124.9 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread