IAT2 reading 130+ on 65* day!!

castellscl

Established Member
I've recently got my truck back from getting a built motor and 2.3 Whipple put in. It was driven over 500 miles back to me with no problems. The next day, things just started going wrong with it (go figure).

Anyways, the latest thing I've started to notice is the IAT2 temps. It's been in the 60's and 70's and my IAT2's have been much higher than I remember before.

At 65* out, cruising, my IAT2 temps are showing around 120*!!. I've got a meizer pump and have verified that it is working, it's got great pressure.
I put my finger in the tank to feel how hot the fluid is and it's COLD to the touch???
My truck has been acting funny when the Interceptor scan gauge starts to read about 145*, like it's pulling timing.

I'm hoping it's just a faulty sensor, but anyone else have any ideas?

Last edited:

LGHTEMUP

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
are you sure the coolant is moving in the overflow tank if it is cold that means the pump is not working..check the power to the pump or maybe a fuse..

kylem1987

Established Member
my intercooler pump does not work, and my iat2 sensor does not work either:bash: i know i'm losing power definately by having those not working. my numbers before the iat2 went out were upwards of 145 150 on a 65 degree day. under normal driving :nonono:

divided

Established Member
130+ was not odd at all in my terminator. Not sure how different the Lightnings are but I would only worry when it was 150+. What does the temperature get to under load?

kylem1987

Established Member
i've seen 150+ a few times under normal driving. now that my iat2 sensor is bad it reads a constant 340 degrees!!

if your pump is running but your fluid is still cold then that must mean its not circulating. maybe you have a air pocket somewhere or its clogged up? replace the iat2 sensor and see if that helps also..

HellaTQ02

Established Member
im having the same problems, gonna check to see if its clogged and also get a new IAT2 sensor this week

castellscl

Established Member
What do mean check the core? For the fins being clogged? The motor only has 1700 miles on it. I'll pull the blower this weekend and look at.

FlaHP

Established Member
Sounds like a bad sensor

the mez pump pushes a ton of fluid. Only worry about the temps in boost and load. You should be seeing right at 100-110 on temp in under those conditions

you can also go to 3/4 lines to match the ability of the new pump. If the stream us strong and steady then the sensor sound bad. Stock pumps get air in the system easier than the mez and sometimes need ro be primmed

FlaHP

Established Member
how do you prime it

Force fluid from other parts of the loop instead of having the ic pump do the priming. A garden hose will work.

If the stream is flowing wood and not hot then the reading is off. Do some data logs from a dig to 100 and see what it looks like after you replace the sensor. Don't worry about what you see when sitting at a red light at idle

Users who are viewing this thread