Iat2 placement concern

yellow03vert

Established Member
I was cleaning the cobra today and noticed my iat2 sensor is in a different spot then most I have seen. It is hooked up where the Egr use to be. My question is will this hurt anything (read higher temps causing the car to pull timing). I did some searching and thought maybe this might be part of the reason my car dynos lower than most.

http://
springpics2010063-1.jpg

Last edited:

Smokin04

Pump Gas KING!
Established Member
No, it shouldn't be an issue. The IAT2 sensor is part of the MAP sensor that normally gets installed in the base plate of the blower. As long as it has a manifold pressure source, you'll be fine. Temp is the same no matter where you put it. It just needs a manifold signal...where yours is hooked up should not affect power output.

yellow03vert

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I read it could get higher air temps when hooked up there causing it to pull timing. I just wanted to make sure that was not what was happening. I still need to replace my wastegate to see if that is my problem the car runs great but it just does not dyno high.

TRBO VNM

I put mine in the same place on my first turbo cobra and had issues. After talking to some tuners, they recommend he sensor having airflow across the sensor. Not at a dead end. I have seen some people put them in the end of a hose and have issues as well.

Smokin04

Pump Gas KING!
Established Member
Mine is plumbed directly into my sullivan upper about an inch from the EGR port. I have and have had no issues what so ever. If it's post-intercooler, it's shouldn't make a difference as all the incoming air has been cooled (as much as is going to be anyway) by the intercooler.

I do agree aobut airflow across it though...that is a must.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

not sure yellow. meaning, I installed it similar to you and during some initial idle and street logs my tuner saw there were issues with the readings and then I changed it. This was back about 4 yrs ago or more possibly.

if you search, you will find a couple different locations people have mounted the sensor. I think juiced46 even posted pics of his. I know onefastride did as well, but that isn't his exact screen name.

Smokin04

Pump Gas KING!
Established Member
My bad, after looking at your pic...you will have problems with it hooked up like that. It needs to be in a clean air source, meaning the probe of the sensor needs to be inside the manifold.

yellow03vert

Established Member
I have searched to find where to put it, I am going to move it as soon as I get some free time. I have been having some idle issues lately until yhe car warms up and the car dynos low so maybe moving this will help out some. I already changed plugs and put a new iac sensor in. The car does feel a little sluggish once it gets warm so it might be reading high iat2 temps and pull timing. Anybody else have any issues with their iat2 sensors?

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
You need to move that sensor for sure. Like TRBOVNM said, that sensor needs to see air across it. Basically yours is only seeing pressure or vacuum. If your car is low on power because of the IAT, then your tuner should be able to see that on the dyno. He would know what IATs are at and if its pulling timing

yellow03vert

Established Member
I never asked them about that when they dynoed it but I will move it for sure it can only help. I still think it might be losing boost up top but I have a hard time watching the gauge and driving to see if it is losing boost up top. It does seem to stop pulling as hard in the upper rpms. I thought maybe it was reading high iat2 temps and pulling some timing I believe I am only running 15 degrees. There have been several places tune it and no one has figured it out. I have thinking about droping off to TRBO VMN this summer and let him try to figure it out since he is only 3 or 4 hours away. I am pretty sure it is something simple the car still runs well and does not use oil, smoke or tick and I have put 6k-8k on it.

TRBO VNM

I will reply sometime today or tonight. I am in training all day. You can call me tonight as well if you want and you are always welcome to come on down one weekend

yellow03vert

Established Member
Thanks Trbo Vmn, I will have to make a trip down your way one weekend in the summer so I can get this thing where it needs to be.

Onelfastlride

Established Member
I also initially installed my IAT2 sensor like TRBO VNM did, at the end of a hose. I quickly changed it after seeing my IAT2 temps higher then normal in logs while cruising. Like previously explained I believe this is because the lack of air flow across the sensor. You can see it in the stock sensor also........dyno the car, shut it down and continue to log IAT2 and you'll see air temps will increase while the car is off, lack of air flow and heat soak.

yellow03vert

Established Member
Did you a notice a power loss or increase moving the sensor? Was there any other side effects of the sensor being in the tube? Thanks

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
i welded in a bung into the piping inside the fender and used the threaded lightning IAT sensor. gets great air flow and uses the same factory harness for an IAT senso.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
i welded in a bung into the piping inside the fender and used the threaded lightning IAT sensor. gets great air flow and uses the same factory harness for an IAT senso.

Yes, that works, and its a good idea. However judging by your screen name you have a 99/01 Cobra which only uses 1 IAT sensor. 03/04 Cobras have 2 IAT sensors. The first one ONLY reads temperature before the TB. It has no control over timing. The 2nd sensor is an IAT/MAP sensor that is in the intake manifold. This reads temp and pressure and controls timing. Unfortunately in an 03/04 Cobras case, the threaded Lightning sensor that you used will not work.

yellow03vert

Established Member
My other iat sensor is mounted in the end of my air filter so that one should be fine. I hope I get some time off work to get the iat2 sensor moved to the top of the intake. I have found several pics of where you mounted yours. I am trying to figure out what problems people have had with them mounted where I have mine so I can see if it was part of the reason for my power loss or it idling rough until it warms up.

Users who are viewing this thread