I would like to know the horsepower

Doc2003Cobra

Established Member
A car I bought in high school, always wondered what the horsepower should have been, what do you think?

Bored out 292, Crane solid lifters/dual springs/cam, TRW pistons 12.5:1 compression), Accel ignition, Eldebrock Torker 289 high-rise intake manifold, Holly dual pump 750, Holley electric fuel pump near the gas tank, Lakewood traction bars, leaf springs out of a Ford 390 (sat really high off the ground), Craeger mags, and Micky Thompsons, rear end 4:89 ( At 60 mph (( 4th gear), it was indicating around 3200 rpm), Hooker headers and short pack (early cutoffs), had all SW guages, and the engine was blueprinted and ballpinned/manaflexed, redline was 7200 rpm), the paint was Poppy Orange, what is there, the guy had printouts of 12.20's at the strip. What kind of horsepower do you guys think this was really putting out, my God, it seems nearly as fast or faster than my Cobra, thanks in advance, Doc. :pop:

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
12.2s, eh? Well, I know the Corvette 427/435 (underrated) ran right around mid to low 12s stock, and I'm going to guesstimate that the Mustang weighed about 300 pounds more than the Corvette. So maybe it was making somewhere in the neighborhood of 450hp. That is just a wild guess. Nice story Doc! :)

Bluedot_26

This Space For Rent
Established Member
I'm surprised it ran at all with that big of a carb.
(not to nit-pick, but was probably a 650)

Assuming the car weighs 3400lbs ... would take 475hp (flywheel) to run 12.2 ~ 120mph

(my guess anyway)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Doc2003Cobra said:
Sorry my typing error, it was a 750 dual pump.
I was just going to say I had a '71 Duster 340 pretty heavily modified and I ran a number of carbs, including a Holley 780, 750 Double-Pumper and 650 Double Pumper. So a 750+ is definitely not too big for a motor like the one you describe. All depends on the package you're running. A stock Mustang back then wouldn't have run much more than a Holley 600.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
That's very quick for that car. I'm guessing the steep gears and a big cam did it for him on the track. I have seen several of those cars run deep into the 11's in Super Stock...and that was several years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread