I was decapitated

burnzilla

Established Member
Cobras aren't fast, that's not what makes them special. It's being able to MAKE them fast, that's what its all about. Are you even pullied? 390 HP isn't that big a deal when N/A V6s these days are pushing 300+. 500+ then you can start getting disappointed when you lose.

First of all, anything that runs 12.7' 12.9's stock is very impressive.
Yes newer V6 cars are getting faster but with all the weight it doesn't account for much.
Lastly, the Termi's are factory under-rated and usually dyno 360-375 rwhp, meaning they are really 410-430hp.

Root10

Banned
Cobras aren't fast, that's not what makes them special. It's being able to MAKE them fast, that's what its all about.

:dw: I beg to differ...I have never heard that before lol, maybe they aren't the fatest thing in the world but to say they just straight up aint fast, i know your talking stock but still?? :shrug:

Slug Fest

not amused
Established Member
Cobras aren't fast, that's not what makes them special. It's being able to MAKE them fast, that's what its all about. Are you even pullied? 390 HP isn't that big a deal when N/A V6s these days are pushing 300+. 500+ then you can start getting disappointed when you lose.

They were fast....for the $$ at the time nothing could touch them...

In 03 I ran mid 12's stock an my Vette buddies of the same year were ****ing pissed.... I also put down 381rwhp stock, must be the most efficient drivetrain ever made... concidering a 390 FWHP rating..

To the OP no shame in losing to the L... my buddies L would walk me right now and I'm mid 11's... competition keeps you on your toes :burnout:

DonaldTaco

Look! Its Unicron!!!!!
Established Member
Damn man don't be so hard on yourself... Modded lightning can be quick believe it or not.. lol..

Haha....it happens man. I have a few friends with lightnings I won't mess with...

Hey just cuz its a truck doesnt mean its slow :D

Start modding bro. Lightnings are nothing to sneeze at. Are you sure he was modded? :poke:

lol, I'm not feeling down at all. He clearly had the advantage over me even though he's heavier. When I saw the A-Pillar as he rolled up his windows, I knew I was in trouble. I'm not the best driver, but I don't think I would've been smoked like that had he been stock.

watch out that A-pillar adds 150hp LOL

What's the Cobra run / put down?

Right now my Cobra is bone stock. I have a few mods sitting in the garage that needs to be bolted on. Just need the cash to do so! I also want to avoid doing anything to void the warranty on the engine.

They were fast....for the $$ at the time nothing could touch them...

In 03 I ran mid 12's stock an my Vette buddies of the same year were ****ing pissed.... I also put down 381rwhp stock, must be the most efficient drivetrain ever made... concidering a 390 FWHP rating..

To the OP no shame in losing to the L... my buddies L would walk me right now and I'm mid 11's... competition keeps you on your toes :burnout:

Hey, we're all in the SVT family, no shame at all in losing to a Lightning!

CobraRyan

Banned
When my 03 cobra was bonestock i would beat 400/500 Lightnings from a Dig or any roll. Never ran a ported one. So i would say that L had to atleast be ported 2.8/6lb with a good tune.

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
When my 03 cobra was bonestock i would beat 400/500 Lightnings from a Dig or any roll. Never ran a ported one. So i would say that L had to atleast be ported 2.8/6lb with a good tune.

Agreed, most Lightings with an eaton and 4# or 6# lower dyno around 400/500 which is good for about 12.7 + at the track. Plus he probably didn't race past 60mph which is when cobra's can do some serious damage to a Lightning.

If he raced a KB or Whippled Lightning that had good traction, then I could see him getting pulled on pretty hard.

Last edited:

cthunder

Established Member

KB didnt bless us with a 2.8... we just have the lowly 2.6 KB or the 3.4 Whipple.

To the OP... there are tons of fast lightnings, and the reason I got my truck was just that. Plus not many people know what lightnings are so I surprise the hell out of highly modified cars around me. I have quite a few suspension mods and was keeping up with a decent driver in a 911 carerra 4S in the twisties near my house. I have passed STi's on the same stretch of road easily.

G2Mach1

Cameltosis
Established Member
Yes It does happen.
I got burned at the light by a fine looking DSG L. It left me hard, had almost 2 lengths at one point... It took me until 3rd gear to catch his ass then I passed him hard. But dang, I had my work cut out. My launch was nada, but he shot out like a ton of Texas!!!

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Yes newer V6 cars are getting faster but with all the weight it doesn't account for much.
Lastly, the Termi's are factory under-rated and usually dyno 360-375 rwhp, meaning they are really 410-430hp.
Yep, 413 RWHP with CAI.
When I bought it new I found God! J/K, it did scare the shit out of me.
Jeff

exdeath

Established Member
:dw: I beg to differ...I have never heard that before lol, maybe they aren't the fatest thing in the world but to say they just straight up aint fast, i know your talking stock but still?? :shrug:

I grew up around old school muscle. 390 HP is just barely starting. :rockon:

Not knocking Terminators, I have one and love it to death. Just saying you can't watch videos of KB and TT Terminators owning everything in sight, then go buy a stock one and not expect to get your shit pushed in once in a while if you're not even pullied.

No reason to be disappointed at a loss until you are 500+ RWHP and used to NOT losing often. The higher up you go the pool of potential competition depletes exponentially, make a loss unexpected, thus making it hurt more.

Last edited:

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
Suspension is key. Im making almost 500 rwhp 20lbs on the kb. Like someone posted earlier people have no clue what a Lightning is or can do.

CobraRyan

Banned
KB didnt bless us with a 2.8... we just have the lowly 2.6 KB or the 3.4 Whipple.

To the OP... there are tons of fast lightnings, and the reason I got my truck was just that. Plus not many people know what lightnings are so I surprise the hell out of highly modified cars around me. I have quite a few suspension mods and was keeping up with a decent driver in a 911 carerra 4S in the twisties near my house. I have passed STi's on the same stretch of road easily.

i meant a ported eaton with a 2.8 upper and 6lb lower.
To the above posters talking about people dont know what a lighting and putting cobras down and this and that. Cobra is a way better powerplant to start with. L's come with a 5.4 2v with a weak rotating assembly where as the 03 cobras come fully forged and ready for 600rwhp with ease. You would be lucky if a 500rwhp stock block L lasted for a couple months.

svtcobrar2004

Established Member

yeah. 12's with a GOOOOD driver. and it's TERMINATOR for crap sakes.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Didn't know if I disclosed this to you guys already but I got destroyed by a modded Lightining. It's too embarassaing to recall. Let's just say that before I hit 2nd, he was already a car ahead of me.

Seems like I'm always brining the bad news :shrug:

I think you need a taste of the new ride. :beer:

cthunder

Established Member
i meant a ported eaton with a 2.8 upper and 6lb lower.
To the above posters talking about people dont know what a lighting and putting cobras down and this and that. Cobra is a way better powerplant to start with. L's come with a 5.4 2v with a weak rotating assembly where as the 03 cobras come fully forged and ready for 600rwhp with ease. You would be lucky if a 500rwhp stock block L lasted for a couple months.

Umm, a 2.8 and a 6'er would be over-spinning the eaton by a ton. A 6 lb pulley is borderline over-spinning it as it is. Please clear up your rather foggy thoughts, stating a 2.8 could mean a multitude of things, none of which would equal a 6 lb lower.

The L's problem isnt the ENTIRE rotating assembly... ford cheated us and decided to use powdered rods, instead of forged rods like in the cobras. Our cranks are one of the beefiest units I've ever seen and quite frankly is still at home on my truck, as with many other high hp L's. There are even budget guys well above 500hp using stock pistons and crank with upgraded rods.

The L would be just as impressive as a cobra if ford spent even HALF the time it spent on the cobra...not to mention if it were in existence half the time that the cobra was. You were blessed with better rods, better heads, and frankly a lighter chassis, not to mention the same blower on almost 1 liter difference. Don't forget, the main basis of the L is still a farm truck at heart, not a sports coupe.

There are several stock block trucks running 500+hp for well over a year, with no problem. As with anything, it's all in the tune.

If you don't know what you're talking about, please don't comment. I get enough people trying to tell me about my truck, what it is and isnt, on a daily basis.

Users who are viewing this thread