I wanting to get a 04 Lightning. Question.

H8IMPORTS

Established Member
I had a 01 Lightning and I miss it. I now have a 95 L and i like it but I still have a part of my heart that I want another one. LOL I just miss the 2nd gen truck.

My question is should I swap? I have a friend who has a 04 L that was hit in the front. Low miles I think it is around 40,000 miles. He bought a 03 V6 F150 regular cab with a good tittle he swaped over all the running gear out of the 04 L. He is not finished swapping yet. He is close. So it will be basicly a 04 L with a V6 Vin#. He want's my 95 L and my 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My 95 L has 135,000 miles and my Jeep has 140,000 miles. The 95 L I'm the 3rd owner and it looks (besides the fadeing paint) almost as good as the day it was bought. My Jeep has a 4.5 inch lift and it is locked front and rear. I think he is just going to sell the Jeep and keep the 95 L.

Do ya'll think I should swap or just keep what I got.

Thanks
Chris

MJG

Established Member
If you could afford buying a real L with a clean title I would go that route.
You could always sell the 2 vehicles you have now for a true L.

Resale value, if you do buy it then one day sell, will be higher with a true L.

H8IMPORTS

Established Member
If you could afford buying a real L with a clean title I would go that route.
You could always sell the 2 vehicles you have now for a true L.

Resale value, if you do buy it then one day sell, will be higher with a true L.

I really don't plan on selling it. If I get me another one I plan on keeping it untill the cows come home. LOL So resale is not that big of a deal. It would be nice nut I don't plan on selling it. I know someone who wants my 95 L and I could sell it right now for 4700.00 but my Jeep I would have to wait to sell it. I think it should bring around 3000.00-3500.00. That would put me around 8000.00 or so in this L. To go out and buy one with low miles is going to be around 15-19,000. I would rather have a TRUE L. Thats a lot of difference in money.

JohninMD

Established Member
You could do that, its your choice.

For me, I wouldn't. I would always feel like a poser. Maybe you wouldn't, but I would always regret it if I ever went to a meet up or something and had to explain it. I just wouldn't want to do that myself.

iTz JoHN

Established Member
If you want to do it. You don't even have to tell anyone that it was a v6 before know one will know unless they run the vin.

H8IMPORTS

Established Member
Thanks guys! I think I'm going to do it. I wish it had a real L vin but for now I can't really afford a real L. This one only has around 40,000 miles on it. The interior is really clean and not worn. I worked out a deal on getting it painted. So I should have it in a month or so. (Hopefully!) I just miss my 01 L and want another back.

Now the only problem I have is going to be which color to paint it. LOL I'm thinking Sonic Blue or DSG.

JohninMD

Established Member
If you want to do it. You don't even have to tell anyone that it was a v6 before know one will know unless they run the vin.

if you didnt change over everything then they wouldn't, but you are talking alot of the interior, dash gauges, exhaust, side skirt for exhaust cutout etc.

H8IMPORTS

Established Member
if you didnt change over everything then they wouldn't, but you are talking alot of the interior, dash gauges, exhaust, side skirt for exhaust cutout etc.

Yes everything will be Lightning. It will be bumper to bumper Lightning. The V6 cab has all the interior in it. Gauges, wiring, seats, carpet, rear glass, 3rd brake light, all ground effects, drivetrain, exhaust, etc.

Like you said if we didn't change over everything then they would. lol

blownsvtlightning

Established Member
I had a 01 Lightning and I miss it. I now have a 95 L and i like it but I still have a part of my heart that I want another one. LOL I just miss the 2nd gen truck.

My question is should I swap? I have a friend who has a 04 L that was hit in the front. Low miles I think it is around 40,000 miles. He bought a 03 V6 F150 regular cab with a good tittle he swaped over all the running gear out of the 04 L. He is not finished swapping yet. He is close. So it will be basicly a 04 L with a V6 Vin#. He want's my 95 L and my 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My 95 L has 135,000 miles and my Jeep has 140,000 miles. The 95 L I'm the 3rd owner and it looks (besides the fadeing paint) almost as good as the day it was bought. My Jeep has a 4.5 inch lift and it is locked front and rear. I think he is just going to sell the Jeep and keep the 95 L.

Do ya'll think I should swap or just keep what I got.

Thanks
Chris

I have had both Gen2 > Gen1 loved my gen 1 though, best a/c of any vehicle, PERIOD!!! it was reliable and ran well.. gas mileage was 14 no matter how I drove it and it needed radius arm bushings every 30K miles LOL.. Miss that truck, hurricane Katrina ended her I later heard :( The value of the Gen 1 is pretty low now. I see them selling in the 4 to 5K range, not sure about the jeep... it's a tough call.

Last edited:

H8IMPORTS

Established Member
Ok just a update. I'm keeping my 95 L. The guy is takeing to long to do the deal and it just sounds fishy in some ways so I'm going to keep my 95 L.

Thanks for everything guys! :beer:
Chris

MJG

Established Member
There's some nicely modded Gen 1s up for sale on NLOC for decent prices, I'm very tempted to grabone this winter.

Still a good decision on your part, the right deal on a gen 2 will come along eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread