I want a freaking Boss dang it!

teamstorm02

Established Member
I actually had my 5.0 the car was $41,600 and everyone kept asking why I didn't just get a boss.. well I wanted the heated leather seats and also the main thing I wanted.... The navigation "electronic package" now if I could have got that in the boss. I would have went with that. So now I'm just throwing the boss grille, splitter, and rear diffuser. This way I have the looks of the boss and all the extra goodies that u can't get with the boss

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
This is just my opinion and I'll preface it by saying I think the boss is definitely a huge performance bargain when compared to other vehicles out there.

However, the boss is a track car. It's designed to be, as such you do makes some sacrifices.

If you're primarily going to be tracking the car, it's definitely the one to go with. However, if your primary use of the vehicle is a road car that gets taken to the local cruise in, etc. my opinion is that you're better off with a GT.

For less money you can pickup a brembo car with a 3.73 axle that gets you close performance wise to the boss. Equal drivers, definitely the boss will take it, but I'll put money on an experienced driver in a brembo equipped GT over an average driver in a boss any day.

Plus, you get all the nice equipment. Good stereo, sync, leather seats. Then spend that 10K that you saved at put some of the boss equipment on the car. Boom, best of both worlds.

kevinp

Established Member
I have owned a 'real' boss 302 ('70) and I really like the bare bones performance look of the new Boss. If you want a luxo-cruiser pick up a 2011+ GT500, more emblems, stickers, fake leather and stripes than you could ever want :)

Track or not, everyone and their mom has a GT (including me), if the Boss 302 was available when I bought this GT I would have one.

Yea the trans kinda sucks, but so did the trans in my GT500 and M3, just goes with the high RPM, grabbier clutches and large ratio spreads on 1st and 2nd.

There are a ton of mustangs around here, and a lot of 2010+ GTs and GT500s, seen only one Boss so far and I like it.

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
doesnt the boss also come with adjustable shocks?

so a:
forged engine
adjustable shocks
refined suspension
Launch control/2 step built in
upgraded cooling system
side exhaust
collector car value

That alone seems worth the price difference to me but value is subjective...

Plus Brembos, optional Recaros, optional Torsen diff, TracKey, etc.

Sorry, I have to disagree with some of you that think a Boss is just a glorified GT - it's a lot more than that as some have already pointed out. It doesn't hold much in common with a garden variety GT - the largest shared component I can think of is the MT82, otherwise there are many differences, not the least of which is the motor.

Track or not, everyone and their mom has a GT (including me), if the Boss 302 was available when I bought this GT I would have one.

Likewise. I'm not 90 years old, so I can handle a stiffer suspension on my daily commute. I rather dislike the way my GT bounces and wallows anyway. You don't need a track to be able to appreciate the capabilities of the Boss.

Equal drivers, definitely the boss will take it, but I'll put money on an experienced driver in a brembo equipped GT over an average driver in a boss any day.

Sure, great, but let's compare apples to apples here, i.e. let's compare the cars, not the drivers. It seems rather obvious that if you put a lesser driver into a faster car, more than likely he'll still be slower.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Sure, great, but let's compare apples to apples here, i.e. let's compare the cars, not the drivers. It seems rather obvious that if you put a lesser driver into a faster car, more than likely he'll still be slower.

My point wasn't to diminish how good the Boss is. In fact, I stated that in the first sentence of the post you quoted.

This is to point out that the GT vs Boss debate is really more about what you want from the car. If you track a lot, get the boss, without question. If you track a little, but spend most of the other time with the car cruising etc, the boss in my opinion doesn't make nearly as much sense.

NinjaBum

Established Member
I hope it is smoother than my T-56, not as smooth as my wife's Mazda though. I do love the fact it is forged but I think the 444hp is enough for me, maybe some DR's to smoke my brothers GTO.

I just jumped ship from a 500hp GTO to a '12 GT and I can tell you, going from my T-56 to this transmission, this one felt like butter. I haven't noticed notchiness reported by a lot of folks, but then again, my T56 was notchy all the time, so I am loving the change.

Only thing that takes getting used to is the difference in torque.

NinjaBum

Established Member
Flywheel HP, still pretty stout though. Over 430 to the ground on a slipping clutch with bolt-ons+cam. Torque curve was flat as a table.

P1010850.jpg

Needless to say you can hit the same power level on the 5.0 with intake, exhaust, and tune. Kind of why I switched. I didn't have to tear into the motor and mess with my valvetrain and internals. If I wanted to see 500 to the wheels I needed to either swap my heads and intake manifold or go FI. Both presented me with more headaches than I wanted to deal with on that car.

Plus, now I haz warranty.

/threadjack

OP, do it.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Thanks for all the replies.

I just jumped ship from a 500hp GTO to a '12 GT and I can tell you, going from my T-56 to this transmission, this one felt like butter. I haven't noticed notchiness reported by a lot of folks, but then again, my T56 was notchy all the time, so I am loving the change.

Only thing that takes getting used to is the difference in torque.

Thanks for some feedback, but what do you mean by the torque?

NinjaBum

Established Member
This Coyote is more rev-happy than an LS engine in the sense that it (in stock form at least) doesn't pin you back until you get higher in the spectrum. With LS engines, they typically have gobs of torque early on. I had to get used to the fact that I couldn't just nudge the throttle and bring it up to 3k and stay with traffic when my light turned green. I'm getting the hang of it now and I enjoy it. I just don't get to be as lazy as I used to.

It's somewhat of a blessing though, because this is easier to drive in the rain since the GTO would murder you if you gave it a tad too much throttle in damp conditions. Countless nooblets on the GTO forums jack-knife their cars into trees weeks after buying them.

five0three

big deal
Established Member
I guess it comes down to the old 'build it or buy it' argument. the boss doesn't come with anything I can't add myself, but it's missing plenty of things that would be very difficult to add. Boss radiator is less than $200, boss oil cooler is less than $150. Get the idea? Not to mention if you read up on the warranty, ANY TIMED COMPETITION voids it. So no, you're not buying a 'race car with a warranty', your just paying ford $6k to install $4k worth of parts, while charging you extra for cutting things out.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
This Coyote is more rev-happy than an LS engine in the sense that it (in stock form at least) doesn't pin you back until you get higher in the spectrum. With LS engines, they typically have gobs of torque early on. I had to get used to the fact that I couldn't just nudge the throttle and bring it up to 3k and stay with traffic when my light turned green. I'm getting the hang of it now and I enjoy it. I just don't get to be as lazy as I used to.

It's somewhat of a blessing though, because this is easier to drive in the rain since the GTO would murder you if you gave it a tad too much throttle in damp conditions. Countless nooblets on the GTO forums jack-knife their cars into trees weeks after buying them.

Gotcha. Thats kind of how I felt going from 1st Gen SBC's to my LS1's.
I had the wife get an insurance quote on the Boss and a 2009 C6 and would you believe the Boss is 20% more than the Vette.
Right now I'm trying to put something together with a dealer that is a few states away and I'm waiting for him to get a real number on my trade and a finance quote. My fantasy is that it all works out and I'm driving my new Boss home saturday.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I had the wife get an insurance quote on the Boss and a 2009 C6 and would you believe the Boss is 20% more than the Vette.
Right now I'm trying to put something together with a dealer that is a few states away and I'm waiting for him to get a real number on my trade and a finance quote. My fantasy is that it all works out and I'm driving my new Boss home saturday.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Insurance is primarily based on vehicle loss statistics. The vast majority of Corvettes spend their lives in a garage, off public roads. For that reason their loss statistics are very low, which means they have pretty cheap insurance.

Of course the Corvette tax means you'll pay 30% more for everything else.

Good luck with the Boss!

NinjaBum

Established Member

I was looking for a C5Z at the same time as this, when I went down to the Ford dealer, my friend told my wife he saw a C5Z at one of the dealers with <30K miles for mid 20's. She decided to "forget" to tell me cause she wanted me to get the Mustang. I found out and was all :bash:

I'm pretty happy it turned out the way it did though. I have a great car with new everything and a warranty.

Corvettes are typically out of reach of dip-shit kids and older gents drive them for the most part. While the Boss might be out of their price-range, I'd gather it still attracts more younger males with the "boy-racer" attitude than a base C6 vette does.

Going from my 05 GTO to the Mustang, my insurance only went up by $1 a month.

+1 On the Vette Tax.
I had to purchase some Corvette parts the GTO shared with them. It was not something I enjoyed.

Last edited:

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I was looking for a C5Z at the same time as this, when I went down to the Ford dealer, my friend told my wife he saw a C5Z at one of the dealers with <30K miles for mid 20's. She decided to "forget" to tell me cause she wanted me to get the Mustang. I found out and was all :bash:

I'm pretty happy it turned out the way it did though. I have a great car with new everything and a warranty.

Corvettes are typically out of reach of dip-shit kids and older gents drive them for the most part. While the Boss might be out of their price-range, I'd gather it still attracts more younger males with the "boy-racer" attitude than a base C6 vette does.

Going from my 05 GTO to the Mustang, my insurance only went up by $1 a month.

+1 On the Vette Tax.
I had to purchase some Corvette parts the GTO shared with them. It was not something I enjoyed.

My wife is the opposite and wants the Vette rather than the Mustang. I even asked her if she was BS-ing me about the insurance because of that.
It's not a make or break thing but it is a consideration. I would rather have the Boss now and when the kids are gone get the Vette.

ihatepotholes

Established Member
i would kill for a Comp Orange Boss with recaros and torsen diff
i want a certain someone to sleep with the fishes... maybe we can arrange something ;-)

I guess it comes down to the old 'build it or buy it' argument. the boss doesn't come with anything I can't add myself, but it's missing plenty of things that would be very difficult to add. Boss radiator is less than $200, boss oil cooler is less than $150. Get the idea? Not to mention if you read up on the warranty, ANY TIMED COMPETITION voids it. So no, you're not buying a 'race car with a warranty', your just paying ford $6k to install $4k worth of parts, while charging you extra for cutting things out.
you must be joking me... Boss 302's crate motor alone is almost 4k more than a regular coyote.

you probably haven't driven the boss yet, it almost feels like a different car than the regular GT :rolling:

five0three

big deal
Established Member
Really? Gee whizz I didn't know that. Spec out the parts price difference between the boss coyote and the standard one. Good luck finding 4k lol. Thanks for the lesson.

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
Really? Gee whizz I didn't know that. Spec out the parts price difference between the boss coyote and the standard one. Good luck finding 4k lol. Thanks for the lesson.

#1. The Boss doesn't have a Coyote, it has the Roadrunner which is an entirely different engine.

#2. A Boss crate engine alone does indeed cost almost $4k more than a Coyote does.

Crate Engines, Mustang Engines, Drag Racing Engines, Stock Car Engines, Funny Car Engins, Race Engines, Racing Engines - Ford Racing Performance Parts

#3. The resale value of your GT is going to drop like a rock, meanwhile a Boss will maintain it's value rather well given the history of other Ford special production Mustangs. That could account for much of the price difference right there. Not to mention you're not going to have a warranty on your GT after you've modded it to the hilt to keep up with a Boss, while you'll still have one on your stock Boss. That's also ignoring that a Boss is just a better baseline to begin with anyway.

five0three

big deal
Established Member
#1. The Boss doesn't have a Coyote, it has the Roadrunner which is an entirely different engine.

#2. A Boss crate engine alone does indeed cost almost $4k more than a Coyote does.

Crate Engines, Mustang Engines, Drag Racing Engines, Stock Car Engines, Funny Car Engins, Race Engines, Racing Engines - Ford Racing Performance Parts

#3. The resale value of your GT is going to drop like a rock, meanwhile a Boss will maintain it's value rather well given the history of other Ford special production Mustangs. That could account for much of the price difference right there. Not to mention you're not going to have a warranty on your GT after you've modded it to the hilt to keep up with a Boss, while you'll still have one on your stock Boss. That's also ignoring that a Boss is just a better baseline to begin with anyway.
#1 eh fair enough

#2 from ford. I didn't argue that. What I am saying is the parts that make the roadrunner so good (mainly the valve train) does not equate to 4k. My point elaborated is that if you are going to mod to the point that you will be pushing the coyote to its breaking point, you may as well build (or buy) a built motor, as the roadrunner won't be taking much more. Want that boss power band and redline? Boss heads, springs and intake plenium. Want a Lopey idle? Plenty of tuners that can take care of that for you. Want side exhaust (bosses is a joke btw)? Exhaust shops have you covered.

#3 mod a gt to the hilt? You really think that with the $10,000 I DIDN'T spend on the boss I couldn't leave it far behind? It's actually far more than that considering the boss starts as a base. Frpp isn't the end all to vehicle performance. I would (am) rather pick the parts I like then just take what fits fords budget. Keep in mind, no factory car (in this realm of performance) is built with no holds barred. The boss is NOTHING MORE than a marketing scheme. Don't get me wrong, it's badass, and surely will be a collectors item one day, but take it off this pedestal. It's not even the flagship mustang....

Users who are viewing this thread