I want a freaking Boss dang it!

96lasersnake

storm trooper'd cobra
Established Member
I'm not downing either car and I'm not mad, i just don't like comments like "best mustang ever".

Boss radiator is a bit higher than I thought. Pretty sure it will be on the track pack car as well. When did I say I was doing anything ground breaking? I have a hum drum gt. I'm not going to do anything that anyone hasn't done already. All I'm saying is I wouldn't worry about running laps with a boss. Really a gt needs a good set of coilovers, sway bars, intake and a tune to make a boss sweat.

I just don't like to see a car put up on a pedestal like this, especially one that isn't far off from a garden variety GT. we aren't talking about the cobra r here. Not talking about a gt 350. Most manufacturers of sports cars have trim levels like this. Wrx/sti, corvette/zo6, rt/srt ect ect, and those cars have a much larger performance gap between them.

You said the boss was a marketing scheme, then mention the GT350 and Cobra r like they arent or did I read that wrong? You realize the boss is quicker than the Cobra R and has AC/radio? All a gt neeed is a bunch of changes to void the warranty to keep up with stock boss? Again I like both cars, and almost picked a GT cause they were discounted so much.

kevinp

Established Member
To be clear, I'm not bashing the GT which is arguably the best all-around performance bargain on the planet. It's a tremendous machine and the current generation Mustang has brought me back to domestics for the first time in a decade.

The funny thing is that while I chose the Boss over a GT, either car is so fast and capable that most drivers, myself included, could spend years not fully exploiting the capabilities of a stock Brembo car on a road course. They're just that good and you can get one for around $30,000. It's an amazing time to be an enthusiast.

+1

I like the whole boss concept, but no doubt a base Brembo car is a performance value. Once you start loading a regular GT up the performance value starts to decline a bit but the comfort value goes up some.

One thing with the boss is you can bolt all the parts on a GT but it will always be a GT, down the road the factory specialty cars are always the ones that hold their value the most - granted they cost more to begin with :)

I've had my share of 60-70s musclecars (used to buy and sell them for a living in the late 70s and early 80s) and these new cars are pretty awesome, after dealing with the Mustang II era, Volare Road Runners, TPI IROC Zs, 2V 4.6 mustangs and anemic GM LT cars these things are awesome. Never thought I would see it all come back but it has, and even this Base GT is a luxury car compared to some thing like my old '69 roadrunner with the puke green vinyl interior that didnt even have power steering/brakes, AC or a radio.

It's a great time to be an enthusiast for sure.

Last edited:

jake74

Established Member
I went to buy a kona blue brembo gt and when I got to the dealership there was a race red and white boss sitting there next to the gt.I was sold on the boss at first site and got it a $1000 off msrp which was still way more than the gt cost but damn I love this car and don't regret my choise at all.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Well I think someone is going to buy my T/A so now it is Go time. I called a dealer last night to get my "E-price" on a non-Recaro car. I was quoted $1000 over list then told if I was serious I may be able to get it for list.
I have to do it somewhat soon though because the wife is starting to moan about it not being a convertible.

96lasersnake

storm trooper'd cobra
Established Member
Well I think someone is going to buy my T/A so now it is Go time. I called a dealer last night to get my "E-price" on a non-Recaro car. I was quoted $1000 over list then told if I was serious I may be able to get it for list.
I have to do it somewhat soon though because the wife is starting to moan about it not being a convertible.

I would shop around more, I got mine for a good amount under MSRP with recaro/torsen and apperance pack (car cover, floor mats). Find a dealer selling one under and try and get them to match it. Look on ebay. Thats what I did, found a dealer in Houston area selling under MSRP and had local dealer match their price. Good luck and cant wait to see! Hope you find a CO, that was my first and only color choice for the boss:rockon:

jonesd

Established Member

dude check the boss 302 forums. Many dealers are trying to dump their new 2012's for 1000-1500 off list right now. DO NOT pay list unless you just really need the car right away! There was even a dealer over there last week that sold a red boss 302 with recaros for 2k under sticker.

Boss3o2

Established Member
I'm not downing either car and I'm not mad, i just don't like comments like "best mustang ever".

Sounds like you're downing the car to me, which most can only assume is from sort of envy? Regardless, you don't have to be a Ford Fan to see the passion and Research & Development that went into the Boss 302 program. So you can call it a "marketing" scheme, and think what you want. The car speaks for itself, and ALL of its flawless reviews it has got - is what makes this Mustang "BOSS". As they have said many of times, they were dealing with "history". Hence why the Boss mustang is not another "sticker" package offered by Ford. The Boss 302 is for the hardcore enthusiast, looking past the usuals (HP & TQ), and looking for a total package - well balanced car. The history of the Boss 302, is an addition or "icing" on the cake. I could careless what this car is worth years from now. The feeling and connection you get while driving it, is where the value is. If you have not owned, or driven one, your opinion is worthless.

You should do a little more research, before adding your opinion that does not have any logic backing it.

For starters- How about knowing the actual differences with the Boss 302, Vs. GT Mustang:

Powertrain:

Boss 302R Intake
Forged Pistons
Upgraded Con-Rods
Race-Spec Main and Rod Bearings
Larger Sodium Filled Exhaust Valves
Hi-Lift Exhaust Cams
7500 RPM Limit
CNC’d Heads
Oil Cooler
Larger Radiator
Revised Radiator Plumbing
Revised Oil Pan Baffling
Race Inspired Clutch
3.73 Axle Ratio
Finned Aluminum Diff Cover
Limited Slip Diff with carbon fiber plates (Torsen Limited Slip Available)
Quad Exhaust

Suspension:

Higher Rate Springs (lowered 11MM front – 1MM rear)
Adjustable Struts/Shocks
25MM Rear Anti-roll bar (GT is 24MM)
Tuned Electronic Steering with 3 Settings
Unique traction control system settings
Unique electronic stability control settings
TracKey - Additional Key that enables the PCM setting of the 302R (dealer flash required)

Body:

Black or White Roof Panel and Coordinated C-Stripe
Unique Front Facia with Blocked off Fog Lamps and Splitter
Small Rear Spoiler

Interior:

Alcantara Steering Wheel
Unique Shift Knob
Unique Cloth Seats (Recaros available)
Cloth Door Panel Insert
Dark Metallic Instrument Panel Finish
Unique Guages
Unique Door Sill
11 Pounds of Sound Deadening Removed
Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Brembo 14 inch vented discs front
Boss specific rear compounds pads rear
Vented Brake Shields
Unique ABS tuning
Reinforced Brake Lines
Lightweight 19X9 and 19X9.5 Wheels
Pirelli P-Zero Tires 255/40/ZR19 Front 285/35/ZR19 Rear

Laguna Seca Package:

Available in Black or Silver with Red Accents
Rear Seat Delete
Standard Recaro Seats
Rear Body Stiffening X-Brace
Softer Front and Firmer Rear Springs
Stiffer Damper Settings
Larger 26MM Rear Anti-Roll Bar
Unique 19x9 Front and 19x10 Rear wheels
Pirelli Corsa Tires 255/40/ZR19 Front and 285/35/ZR19 Rear
Larger Front Splitter
Pedestal Rear Spoiler
Brake Ducts
Torsen Diff Standard
Auxiliary Gauge Package with Oil/Water Temp and Lap Timer
Unique Laguna Seca rear medallian

P.S - Go knock the GM guys, for using your tax dollars to develop the new ZL1 Camaro. My hat is off to Ford for developing something for just about every kind of an enthusiast.

Last edited:

Boss3o2

Established Member
To the OP -

I recommend driving both cars (if you can find a Boss 302 to test drive), and making your decision. What he or she puts a value on something, maybe something completely outside of your interests. The Boss 302 is everything and more, in which I own a 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca. I had my standards set very high. This is my first brand new domestic car, in which I traded my 2008 BMW M3 in for. I have always been a Classic Mustang fan. I just have never approved of the there quality & engineering, on there newer Mustangs, until now. After you see, inspect and drive the new Boss 302, it was a no brainer for myself......

Good luck either way.

Eric

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Is the tuned electronic steering with 3 settings any different than the tuned electronic steering with 3 settings that came on my base 2012?

EnthusiastGT

Established Member
The boss is a great car and it totally depends on what you want to use the car for. Id argue that most boss owners aren't going to explore the potential of their cars...so while the car will give them that warm and fuzzy feeling when they look at it in the garage, it will ultimately be a wasted opportunity. Still, that is an owners right.

For the GT owner who plans on modifying their car, the Boss 302 shouldn't even be a thought.

With that being said, Boss owners should be thinking more of having the best objective performance Mustang for the time...and a real piece of Ford history...in ten years the extra horsepower and beefed up internals won't matter. Its obvious that its performance will be soon eclipsed. I'm sure the next Mustang GT will perform as well as (or better than) the 2012-13 BOSS regardless.

The Boss is the IT car today and a great platform...always will be, but don't get too caught up. It is Fords job to create a better car each year...and the Boss' time will come and go just like every other car.

I remember when the Terminator came out. Everyone bowed to that car..it was clearly the best Mustang. Well now I see new edge GTs, Mach 1s, and pre 03 cobras putting down great numbers. Ultimately, drive what you enjoy because anything can be made fast or great with time and dedication...not who pays the biggest monthly payment.

Drive what you have and enjoy it. There isn't a Mustang sold today that isn't a great car.

Last edited:

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
ehhh its a nice car and all, and its cool to say you have a "boss"...but let me honest....unless you super/turbo charger the thing to take advantage of the awesome forged internals...it will always be a drivers race in the NA world

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I gotta ask, why the boss over the standard gt? No leather. No sync. 10k more. Standard gt is a tune away from equal power. Sure it has some mechanical upgrades, but you may not need most of them. Has cool stickers though....

I'll admit that on paper they're really not that different I suppose, but driving the two they are not even in the same time zone. The Boss is a much better car in every way but creature comforts, and worth every penny.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Holy Moly! I bought a GT convertible on Feb. 20th. I love the leather and the heated seats are great on my back. The Electronics package that I didn't want is one of my most favorite features. The wife and I have gotten lost on several long rides with the top down and not for one moment have I regretted my choice.
Though I still love the Boss and really really want one in Competition Orange, I bought the perfect car for me.

cjmclean

Established Member
My wife owns a 2011 5.0 auto, and I am driving the 2012 Boss. While I enjoy driving my wife's car too, the Boss is an entirely different animal. The power is more linear, the braking is soooooo much better, and the car doesn't "wallow" around like my wife's does.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 2011 (Kona Blue) for daily driving and it has power to boot. But when you really want a driving experience, the Boss is just a pleasure to drive. It's really hard to describe until you have driven one.

Did I mention the attention this thing gets....

:banana:

Users who are viewing this thread