I took advantage of a nice day

SVT95

Established Member
we had some nice 60 degree weather here and finally took advantage of it. Tuned up the car and ran some sea foam through it. This is probably the first time in this cars life that it had sea foam and man, did it wake it up. My cobra has somewhere around 300k miles on it and was in much need of this. I'm a firm believer in this stuff now.

16kOrBust

Established Member
Those are some serious miles. Never had any issues with Seafoam, myself. Ran it once on my Camaro around 75k when I had it and didn't really notice much of a difference. Didn't hurt anything, though.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
damn i thought 135k was a lot when i sold mine on sat lol

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
That is some insane mileage! Have you had the car on a dyno recently just to see where it stands?

-Eric

rjs281

Established Member
Cars are made to be driven. Good job on taking care of it enough to get to that. Time to think about a new motor i think,to get your power back.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Today was a great day!!! It's going to get crappy tomorrow:(

You've got the little motor that could! Let's see how long it goes before checking out.

SVT95

Established Member
300k no rebuilds?

as far as I know everything is from the factory as far as rebuilds

Today was a great day!!! It's going to get crappy tomorrow:(

You've got the little motor that could! Let's see how long it goes before checking out.

and yes, tomorrow is going to get crappy. I do snow/ice removal in wichita and we are expecting some good ice.

But for anyone that is interested, here is the background of the car. sorry if it's kinda long but it's a good read.

I had a 1998 Dodge ram 4x4 with 198k on it. I took perfect care of it and it was in great shape. I found this Cobra on craigslist for 5500. I called him and negotiated a straight trade. The dodge booked at around 2800-3400 so I got a good deal in the first place. The body on the cobra was straight except for an after market cobra R hood that needed painted and the front bumper needed painted from a slight wreck.

When I got the car home, I could see it had 100 layers of dirt on it and had never been washed, taken care of, or any maintenance. So I started getting my hands dirty.

After a day of clay baring, waxing, detailing, and basic maintenance... it ran like a new car. In fact the picture in my sig was taken 4 days after I bought it. At the time I also worked at a car dealership. So, just for fun, I thought I would run a carfax(of course after I bought it). The last reading on the odometer was 180,091 miles... and that was in 2000. And to top that off, it's had about 12 owners all the way from Florida. So some time before 2000, the odometer stopped because it still reads that same milage now. lol. I have had it for more than 2 years now and have been caring for it like it was my child. My main objective for it now is to get it back to perfect running order. I've been sinking all my extra money in it to keep it a reliable car, even though some times it seems redundant. lol. fix one thing and it uncovers another problem. I've thought about selling it many times but I can't pull myself to do it. Even though it gives me problems the fact that I am trying to restore a (kind of) rare car makes me love it even more. It doesn't help that I'm 23, going to college, work full time, and have my own place so funds aren't always there. lol

So with that being said, when I first bought it, it was a 13 second car. Just from the maintenance and some TLC, it's now in the high 12's. I'd be interested in dynoing it too, but honestly I don't beat on the car too much out of fear of the engine blowing. I'm proud that it has very high milage on it because it shows that if you take care of your things, they can run for a long time. The only big issues that I have with it is the second gear syncro is gone but thats typical of a WC T-5. So that's the story of my old, worn out Cobra that finally went to a good home. lol

Last edited:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
props for 300k and i would keep it if i were you. Even if you plan on buying another car because you wont get much for it at all.

SVT95

Established Member
props for 300k and i would keep it if i were you. Even if you plan on buying another car because you wont get much for it at all.

surprisingly I put it up for sale about a year ago and was offered 5k but turned it down because I just couldn't pull myself to sell it. That's what makes this car special to me is the high mileage.

To top off this car, it is my DD. I drive it 30+ miles a day to class and work. My thoughts are to get another DD, pull the engine in the cobra, and start building it. But we'll see.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Well, if the frame is straight, and you restore the entire car... you could possibly get $6,000 out of it. Just remember, most the muscle cars you see restored, and sold... have high mileage, bent frames, and no floors when they were dragged out of the fields they were found in. The money you get from the car, will depend on how professional the restoration was.

You've got a nice project car. Make something epic of it!

SVT95

Established Member
Well, if the frame is straight, and you restore the entire car... you could possibly get $6,000 out of it. Just remember, most the muscle cars you see restored, and sold... have high mileage, bent frames, and no floors when they were dragged out of the fields they were found in. The money you get from the car, will depend on how professional the restoration was.

You've got a nice project car. Make something epic of it!

I've got two goals from the car which may contradict each other; have a quick (11 second) high mileage car and keep the original block in it. so if I put too much power to it and punch a hole in the block, I'm out on both my goals. But the frame is straight and there is absolutely no rust on any part of the car so I have a good starting point.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What an interesting history on that car. Seems that the 12 owners took very good care of it, and that in and by itself is a bit extraordinary. It seems you have a unique Cobra in that respect so I would say hold on to it. It should continue to give you more faithful miles as long as you take good care of it, which you're doing. Thanks for sharing your ride and its story with us. :)

Users who are viewing this thread