I thought this was funny. Any other Terminator track stories?

Dominick32

BANNED
Originally by Blue03Snake:
well...i went out to the local drag way on tuesday night....1st run was a 14.1 at 108...just taking it easy....basically my "warm-up." after that, i decided i'd take my girlfriend down the strip once, and they allowed it as long as i didnt go under 14. Basically, i ran a 12.3X @ 114....they then proceded to erase my number off my car, and make me leave the property....o well...the girlfriend loved it, and it was a new best.

Dont be too concerned.

NHRA rules state that any convertible with an ET under 13.99 needs a roll cage. I dont have one.. OH WELL

When I was stock, I went to three tracks @ test and tunes and ran under 13 seconds on all of them. 12.5 was the best. (please note this is in a convertible.) I never got hassled at all.

The only time I was ever hassled was at Englishtown. I actually entered the competition at Fun Fords Weekend. I tried to write 12.5 on my dial in. Thats what I was averaging in Test and Tune that day. When I pulled up to the burnout box, the guy gave me a smile, erased my dialin and wrote 13.99 on the window. haha

So, I still screamed down the track and guess what? I ran exactly a 12.5 again. I wouldve won a damn trophy that day!!!

All in all, ive never been kicked off a track yet. I think once I take the cobra back to the track with my new apten on and hit the 11's they will eventually do something.

I just dont see a drag strip kicking someone off the track for driving a bone stock factory purchased car with no modifications.
Its crazy that you can just walk off the dealership lot with a mid 12 second convertible or coupe for that matter.

Dom
www.svtsnake.com

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
I was reading, (i think mm&FF or Hot Rod) that the NHRA was changing its rules because of cars like ours. 12.50 was the minimum before d/s loop. I think 11.50 or lower for cage.

Did anyone else see this?

Dominick32

BANNED
Originally posted by OH3Cobra
I was reading, (i think mm&FF or Hot Rod) that the NHRA was changing its rules because of cars like ours. 12.50 was the minimum before d/s loop. I think 11.50 or lower for cage.

Did anyone else see this?

I was waiting for someone to bring that up.
I heard that rumor also. It was posted a few months ago and still has never happened.

Dom

Jpatte

Established Member
Rules

The rules have changed for test and tune only. All new stock convertibles can run to 11.5 just like any other car. The key is stock! If they see you hit low 12's, they know your not stock and boot you off the track. I've run the test and tune at route 66 several times now. The tech lanes are looking for new cam shafts, headers, intakes, etc etc. Then they tell explain to you if your car exceeds stock times, it will be time to say good bye. Now this is test and tune only! My son tried to go the sheriff's Challenge last weekend and was told that the car needed a roll cage. This applies to any competition the car will be in.

So, thats the scoop from Rt 66 in joliet.

jpatte.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Doesn't the fact that a convertible has lesser roll-over protection than a hardtop factor into the 13.99 or faster rule?

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
When I go to the track my 7 and 9 year olds watch the runs and my 9 year old gets my timeslips and hands them to me as I pull up. My first pass of the night I ran 7.3x (1/8th) mile but forgot to put on my helmet, it was still sitting on the front passenger seat. DOH! I pulled up and my son walks up shaking his head w/ no timeslip in hand and told me I had to go see the guys in the tower.. < 7.49 w/o the gear is what gets you booted. I usually go a few tenths quicker and don't get booted but that night they were being difficult. Guy in the tower warned me on the helmet and ignored the time. A few runs later my son comes back w/ no slip in hand and shaking his head.. another visit to the tower and the guy was going to boot me since its 2 strikes and your out. He started off with "I already warned you once.." and I quickly reminded him it was for the helmet and I had been wearing the helmet. So I was 1 and 1 and ran 3 more times and left w/o them saying anything. The best part is the picture of my son coming up to the car shaking his head side to side and looking down at me with the "I've told you before, you shouldn't do that, now go see the principle" look.. When you get that look as a parent from your kid... priceless!

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I honestly think it's stupid they use the ET for your safety gear.. when it's the SPEED, not the time you get there that will kill you..

aka, someone that runs 12.9@105 with a 1.7 60 ft compared to someone that ran 13.7@112 with a 2.5 60 ft.. which one will be in more "danger" in case of an accident?

Hank

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
Man, that's harsh. We have guys on 4-wheelers running 12s with no protection out in Louisiana. :D

Dominick32

BANNED
Hank said:
Man, that's harsh. We have guys on 4-wheelers running 12s with no protection out in Louisiana. :D

hahah,,
Sorry I am responding to this thread so late but the search feature is finally activated.

Users who are viewing this thread