I thought everything was going great, UNTIL...

Russtang

Established Member
Well,

The odo turned around 1,200 and today was the first chance I had to give it an oil change.

Pop the hood and admire that big cammer again (this makes around the 73rd time I'd done that), when I happen to notice the fluid in my intercooler reservoir. Actually, I happen to notice that there is NONE!

Great, "I've fallen victim to another Ford quality problem" is what goes through my head. I haven't had any (major) problems with my cobra (power lumbar that keeps going flat), and now it's my turn. Well, I'm looking all over the plumbing for signs of a leaky clamp, burst hose, etc, and can't find anything obviously wrong. Which leads me down to the intercooler itself...

Russtang

Established Member
As you can see from the closeup below, it looks like I sucked up a bolt and out came the fluid. The bottom of the car is covered with dried coolant.

So, now I need to get a lower grille insert from JMS Products, even though I don't like the look (anyone know of any competing products?), and a new intercooler.

So my questions are:

1. Any possible chance on earth that they would replace this under warranty? I know it's probably a long shot, but is it even worth a try?

2. Any harm driving the car (as long as I stay out of boost)?

3. Anyone got a stock intercooler they wanna sell me cheap? Hehe :)

Thanks all,
Russ

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Time for some type of grill insert for protection. Have to put it on my list. How much will it set you back?

I'd wash that coolant off. Good luck with repairs.

I had a flat tire at 200 miles. Sucked.

Last edited:

CuLaTeR

Established Member
The warranty might cover that. Bring it in and see what happens. The dealership just might replace that intercooler for you. Design flaw if you ask me leaving the intercooler wide open like that. Do you do alot of highway driving?

my03svtcobra

Established Member
2. Any harm driving the car (as long as I stay out of boost)

park it and have it towed !!!
sean

03cobra#116

Established Member
I had a similiar experience.

Something sharp punched a hole in my intercooler. I saw coolant leaking on my garage floor.

Mine wasn't as bad as yours. The dealer wanted to replace the intercooler, not under warranty since it was an accident. I asked them to see if a radiator shop could patch it. They did.

I did have it towed in. That was free.

Russtang

Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I can pick up the grill guard for ~$80 or so. I may just make one myself.

I'm gonna call about the warantee later. I'm not one to not take responsibility for my actions, but an unprotected radiator that sits 6" off the ground sure sounds like "design flaw" to me. We'll see. If they won't cover it, I'll replace it myself. Don't need them to charge me two hours labor for 4 bolts and 2 hose clamps. Not to mention the "test drive" required by the tech.

Heard a rumor that a new intercooler radiator is ~$400! :eek:

Andorion

ÆNIMAL
Established Member
I thought the exposed radiator(s) were badly designed =/ Anyone have a grille installed? Any pictures?

I'd really like to get one.

~Berj

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Originally posted by Russtang
Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I can pick up the grill guard for ~$80 or so. I may just make one myself.

I'm gonna call about the warantee later. I'm not one to not take responsibility for my actions, but an unprotected radiator that sits 6" off the ground sure sounds like "design flaw" to me. We'll see. If they won't cover it, I'll replace it myself. Don't need them to charge me two hours labor for 4 bolts and 2 hose clamps. Not to mention the "test drive" required by the tech.

Heard a rumor that a new intercooler radiator is ~$400! :eek:

$400 for a little radiator. How do they sleep at night. The only thing worse than auto parts prices is motorcycle part prices. Such as $5-600 for a simple little exhaust pipe and muffler, $500 and up for a seat, $500 and up for saddlebags. Sorry to digress. Good luck getting it under warranty. :)

Russtang

Established Member

davidmax

Established Member
I have a intercooler (stock Ford) with 1200 miles coming back from Canada SHM along with the car this or next week at the latest.I will sell it for 40% off the new price unless it looks fuunky.
I can have it boiled out for you at my shops cost but I doubt its neede with the low mileage on it.You can reach me next week at the shop @ 480-517-4969,this will give me time to evaluate.Dave S.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Pull it out yourself and find a local radiator shop to repair it. The damage does not look that bad from the pics. You may loose 1 or 2 tubes.
Much cheaper than replacing it, even with a used one, unless it's free.

Dana

Russtang

Established Member
Just got off the phone with a couple of dealers. Cheapest I could find was $540.78!!! :eek: My buddy spent less than $200 for an aftermarket 3-row aluminum full-size radiator for his mustang! Of course my other buddy spent $300 for a ford heater core. :nonono: They "F" you with OEM!

David:

Thanks for the offer. I will keep you in mind if I can't get it repaired.

Dana:

Thanks for the suggestion. We have a really good welder here at work. I will have him take a shot at it.

If he can't fix it, I figure I could redneck up a big blob o j-b weld around the broken rows. Might do the trick.

Russ

CuLaTeR

Established Member
So I take it the dealer won't replace it for you under warranty? If they don't that is sad. Even though it wasn't a defective part, they should have replaced it anyway for you as a kind gesture. Shit they high grossed the hell out of us for the car to begin with. Over $30,000 with a ton of problems.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I had a squirrel climb up and stall the electric radiator fan on my '98 SHO and the circuit breaker failed to protect the motor, which burned up. Dealer wouldn't cover it under warranty even though the fan blade itself wasn't damaged. So the squirrel cost me $300. Dealer did give me the squirrel in a plastic bag, so I had a really expensive stew for dinner that night.

frank3si

Established Member
Every time I wash the Cobra, I note the ever-inceasing number of dents and dings in that radiator. :mj: Now I see there's a real reason to be concerned!

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread