I thought Borla was better than this

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Go with the full Bassani system.. I have their catted X, and CB and the sound is quite pleasing to my ears. You know your Bassani system will fit up nicely with the X as well.

+1 thats what I have and like the quality and sound.

UncleDan

Established Member
I've been getting ready to order a cat-back system for my Cobra and I was set on Borla Stingers untill I read this thread... Now I'm having second thoughts.

I have access to a pipe bender, welders, flanges & fittings of all kinds though... So if it doesn't fit correctly I'm sure we can make it happen.

As far as a mid pipe goes, I might leave the stock cats/h-pipe alone for now to see how loud the stingers are themselves. My father can build exhaust systems like no other. He'll make an X-pipe by hand. I just want the sound of the Borla Stingers on my Cobra.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I've been getting ready to order a cat-back system for my Cobra and I was set on Borla Stingers untill I read this thread... Now I'm having second thoughts.

I have access to a pipe bender, welders, flanges & fittings of all kinds though... So if it doesn't fit correctly I'm sure we can make it happen.

As far as a mid pipe goes, I might leave the stock cats/h-pipe alone for now to see how loud the stingers are themselves. My father can build exhaust systems like no other. He'll make an X-pipe by hand. I just want the sound of the Borla Stingers on my Cobra.

The sound of the exhaust also has alot to do with which mid pipe you have. With a custom midpipe its hard to say what it will sound like. Many stinger users do like bassani high flow catted x pipe. Depends on how loud you want your car to be.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
just install my sra borlas today ''no'' fitment issue's or bad weld or f'ed up tips.
i bolted mine right up adjusted everytime just snug enough to leave room for fine tuning

yes i did see the mufflers where i bit tinted'' i tryed to polishe them..then said WTF? they under the car. i dont have a show car .nor m i going to lay under my car looking tat them all day ..

so just get them ,and dont worrie about the guy ''who got fired from borla'' for sexual harrassment!

xfrosty63x

Established Member
961abf2f.gif

Sorry for the quick iPhone pics.

This is the best that I can get them to fit without them touching in the middle. The piping is very close to the passenger side tire, but there is plenty of room on the driver side. It just does not look right, and there is nothing I can do to make any of it fit any better without them touching each other.

Last edited:

Freakingstang

Established Member
My borla catback was on the the car when I bought it. I thought it was too loud and bought a used Bassani catback. I miss the borlas, and once the tails are polished, they are going back on the car. They fit great, they were better fitting than the bassani I bought (used). never noticed anything wrong with the welds. Only complaint I had with the borlas was the chrome (non stainless) tips. Bassani tips on the borla catback are the bomb!

xfrosty63x

Established Member
Only complaint I had with the borlas was the chrome (non stainless) tips. Bassani tips on the borla catback are the bomb!

How do you guys polish these chrome tips? I would just like to know the best possible way to keep them looking good on my car as well as the others in the family. As you can see in the previous picture, there is a GT500 next to it with a take-off Roush 427R exhaust, which is just a Roush-stamped FRPP Borla Stinger axle-back exhaust. The tips look identical to the ones on the Cobra with the main difference being the stamps and much better welds on the Roush.

Last edited:

chitowncobra

Established Member
I know I'll be getting the Borla Stinger catback before too long.

The sound cannot be beat. companies always do something to try to stay afloat. borla is still innovating too. Take a look at the new catback for the Camaro as an example. They are not looking to just go away.

They have a great rep and will look to keep it that way. Sure, there can be a few bad ones made by ANYONE.

If that is the case, send it back and request/demand a new kit.

but by and large, it sounds like there are two people who don't like them.

and the smaller diam. at the crossover is for easy fitting into the h or x.

If you would rather weld straight up, then it is a non issue. You can cut the smaller piece off, fab a new one and weld right up. Or have a shop do it for you.

The Borla Stinger system has the best flow and the best sound.

I do like the MagnaFlow as they sound like what FlowMaster is supposed to sound like, but the Borla sound is so crisp, clean, deep, and it just sounds like what a modern day hot rod should sound like.

I have heard Bassani, Mac, and Borla from a few other Cobras (and my own FlowMasters) and the Bassani sounded a little too indistinct, the Mac sounded like FlowMasters mostly, the FlowMasters sound like they drown out at higher RPMs, and the borlas sound like the monster the other ones are afraid of. At low RPMS, they sound rumbly and throaty and at high RPMS, they sound like they are very crisp - the best analogy I can give is a really high end speaker setup - with cheap ones, you get the details of the sound drowned out, but with good ones, you hear every beat of bass, the mids, and the highs. that describes the Borla Stingers to a "T"

It will be interesting to see how many others purchase these systems and like them or don't like them. Working for a company, you always get to see things that make you questions. I used to work for ATT and Verizon and I swore they were both lame. But guess what, I use one of them for my cell phone service.

When I get my Stingers, I'll chime in and see what the real deal is. I hope they are great. Cannot beat the sound. But if they are of poor quality, I will definitely post that up as well as demand a replacement (better) set.
AMEN to that!!! i have had my stingers for 7 years now!! all i get is thumbs up every where i go!!! borla is simply the best sounding exhaust out there!! borla enhances the the hot rod sound of are cars!!!:beer::beer::beer:

the12fast4u

Established Member
i have full bassani stainless steel on my car and wouldnt change it for nothing!off road x pipe and bassani competition catback ,my friend has bassani offroad x pipe and borla stingers on his car it sounds good,but i love the distinct bassani tone

CiriloDOHC

Established Member
I didnt have any problems with the quality of my Borla Stingers.. And i had no fitting issues with the stock H, MRT O/R H, and SLP O/R X.. I just wish that Borla came out with a 3in kit instead of just the 2in :shrug:.. But other then that i will never sell my Borla's, i get a lot of compliments on my exhaust setup, ppl say its the best sounding Mach :banana:

postalbunny

Established Member
and the smaller diam. at the crossover is for easy fitting into the h or x.

If you would rather weld straight up, then it is a non issue. You can cut the smaller piece off, fab a new one and weld right up. Or have a shop do it for you.

I'm also very upset over the smaller diam flares, and it's not for easy fitting into the h or x. It appears to be MUCH smaller diameter, maybe to make it easier to mate up against a stock mid-pipe. i have a 2.5 Bassani X, which only lines up without leaks if the passenger side hangs down low... which scrapes on my lowered car.

So i'm stuck ordering some real 2.5 flared tips from a bending shop and custom-welding them on. For a $300 exhaust setup this might be acceptable, but this cost 2x that. It should practically be installing itself.

PS. 2.50" Ball Joint, Female Columbia River Mandrel Bending

getting 2.5 ends, hopefully they fit OVER the Borla ends and i can clamp them down without welding.

Last edited:

RGrossman

Established Member
Magnaflow kits fit like excellent. I love the Mac sound, so I simply removed the Magnaflow mufflers and clamped in a set of Mac mufflers.

I feel the best bang for your buck is the Magnaflow catback. You can easily swap mufflers whenever you want. My Mac mufflers were a direct bolt-in and Bassani is as well in the Magnaflow catback. I'm not sure on the measurements of the borla catback, but they would probably work as well.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
961abf2f.gif

Sorry for the quick iPhone pics.

This is the best that I can get them to fit without them touching in the middle. The piping is very close to the passenger side tire, but there is plenty of room on the driver side. It just does not look right, and there is nothing I can do to make any of it fit any better without them touching each other.
you need to bend the hangers at the tip to make it fit rigth in the middle .i had to bend the hanger tip down ,can be done with a combo wrench in a long 3/8 ext. to bend it down and side ways if needed ,,and yes the right sidde inside clearance is very tight, you got to side the pipe back enough so it will clear , i got a 97 cobra SRA with 17x10.5 rims in the back, so its real close.i need 3/4 inch spacers anyway. but it dont rub.

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
I fully enjoyed my SRA Stingers on my Mach 1. That car with an MRT O/R H was retardedly loud. That car would drown out a semi going down a hill with the jake brake on. I miss that setup. Looking forward to buying another set.

FuzzyDiceRule

Established Member
wow, i was on the fence between borla and bassani for a while, but now im extremely glad i went bassani, great fit, and the 4 inch tips looks great...

cobra=trouble

Established Member
borla is okay! the guy here that made a big fuss over borlas ,was to get back at his company that prob. fired for misconduct.or smelling like sticky weed.

Last edited:

02reaper

Established Member
borla is okay! the guy here that made a big fuss over borlas ,was to get back at his company that prob. fired for misconduct.or smelling like sticky weed.

If the borla systems are the ones that build steeda's systems for them, then they do fit horribly and are not a true 2.5" system.

postalbunny

Established Member
i can tell u that i got a different prob. with my car now after the stinger install:i shouldnt have 2 mods at once but if my pump gt40s dont fix it, im going to put my mac back back on an see if so im getting my $$back look at my post in tuning 1.2.3 amde simple

what? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread