I thought Borla was better than this

xfrosty63x

Established Member
The fitment of my Stinger cat-back is horrible. The welds are low-quality. The stainless steel is already speckled with tarnish, especially around the stamped Borla lettering on the mufflers. The tips are covered in trash from the poor job welding the hangers. There are even tiny dents in the brand new tips when I uncovered them tonight. And I still can't believe they advertise a 2.5" exhaust system but start it off with a much smaller piece of pipe. It doesn't even seal well with my Bassani X-pipe since the Bassani is a true 2.5" piece. If I could get my money back and have the same sound, I would go with a full Bassani setup in a heartbeat.

03COBRA-88

Established Member
There is a member on here that worked for borla. In another thread is was explaining how they changed there ways and all material they us is junk now. The stainless isn't high quality anymore and the welding sucks now. I guess it's true. I'm sure he'll chime in once he sees this thread. That just sucks man.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
i cheack mine out yesterday ,minemlook great welds tips.i did see the smaller flanges toward the h pipe.not installed yet .packagen ws great did your come the a borla ball cap

can u guess whats in the background?

1280022.jpg

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I bought mine about 2 years ago. Fitment was a bitch, but got a BFH and that fixed it.
I run bassani catted X and the stingers with no issues...they were pricey!

xfrosty63x

Established Member
I bought mine about 2 years ago. Fitment was a bitch, but got a BFH and that fixed it.
I run bassani catted X and the stingers with no issues...they were pricey!

I can't stand to even look at the connection between the Bassani X and Borla mufflers. The size difference between the two systems at that point is ridiculous. The flared end of the Borla looks like it seals around the Bassani by mere millimeters. I just do not see how people have thought this was acceptable for so long. I read a statement from a Borla Representative that they are working on removing that small piece of smaller diameter pipe and making the entire kit a true 2.5" system, but it is too ****ing late for all of us. I will just have to break down and remove the mufflers and get some larger pipes welded on one day and hope they don't screw them up.

Cobra 08

So Tired
Established Member
Im considering Borla Stingers but there has been so much bad vibe going on with this system. Should I go for it or just stay with my magnaflows? Can I also fabricate the muffler pipes to fit on my bassani X Pipe?

xfrosty63x

Established Member
Im considering Borla Stingers but there has been so much bad vibe going on with this system. Should I go for it or just stay with my magnaflows? Can I also fabricate the muffler pipes to fit on my bassani X Pipe?

The flared ends fit with the Bassani X, but they do so very poorly.

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
Go with the full Bassani system.. I have their catted X, and CB and the sound is quite pleasing to my ears. You know your Bassani system will fit up nicely with the X as well.

xfrosty63x

Established Member
Go with the full Bassani system.. I have their catted X, and CB and the sound is quite pleasing to my ears. You know your Bassani system will fit up nicely with the X as well.

This is my advice as well, unless Borla fixes their fitment and quality issues and makes a true 2.5" kit. If only I could sell these Stingers and be able to afford the Bassani system.

FstRyde03

10th Anniv. Convertible
Established Member
This is my advice as well, unless Borla fixes their fitment and quality issues and makes a true 2.5" kit. If only I could sell these Stingers and be able to afford the Bassani system.

Or you could just go with a Magnaflow system, I spent 400+ for a stainless Magnaflow system and I love it, for years I have had people preaching to me about Borla or Bassani, after reading your story for one I feel bad for ya they suck for doing that for two I'm glad I didn't throw down 7 or 800 bucks!

Jefe

Established Member
Info:

Anyways when they made the move they spent a lot more than they had planned for, but even before that they relaized they could sell an inferior product because of the name recognition. What did they do? They fired anyone worth a damn, hired anyone that said they could bend or weld for 8.00 an hr, and start skimping everywhere else. Every tip they use comes from China as does most of the stainless steel. They cannot even build the kits the way they are advertised. They substitute the tips and just send them out. Most of the time the tip will not even fit the vehicle or it looks terrible. Their response. That is how it is supposed to be. The quality issues are the big ones. The kits fit terrible because they use archaic methods to check them, welds crack constantly because of the cheap ss, flanges and clamp bolts will rust because they are not stainless. Yet they tell customers that their kits are 100% stainless. This

Cheaper packing material. The ss wool and fiberglass are lower grades. Just make sure you hold onto your receipt. Main issues with the s type mufflers is the perf tube welds coming apart causing the muffler to rattle as well the end caps blowing out. The case is built from 300 series. Not 304. There are many grades of 300. The grade they are using just does not have any iron in it. Magnaflow and oems use 400 series. Which handles expansion much better. It is less brittle than 300 series.

Exactly. They flat out just don't care anymore. They think they are the premier brand out there. Yeah right! A company that is a premier brand should at least have one rig for shows right? They don't. They have an easy up and a few plastic tables. I hated going to shows. We were laughed at constantly. Flowmaster, Magnaflow and Corsa close by with their rigs, detailed displays and bitchin shop cars. On top of it they can't even produce their crappy product. They are trying to build hundreds of kits using 2 benders and a handful of welders. Orders are backed up through September. NO! I am trying to convey to fellow members here to not buy their junk. You know how many guys have cut their stock kits off then call upset that they don't have a car to drive to work because the Borla kit will not fit. Happens non stop. The best Borla will do is send parts in 2-4 weeks because they don't have anyone that can build the customers parts. Magnaflow builds a better product plain and simple. I have tons of pics of terrible welding, rusted flanges, tips welded upside down and the list goes on. I am unable to post or forward them though. They claim to be building a 100% stainless system that is 100% American made. It is all lies.

CscottsSS

got boost?
Established Member
My Magnaflow fit great! I still want to weld on some stingers in place though. Don't care for the Magnaflow sound.

xfrosty63x

Established Member
I'm trying to work on returning them to Borla. If I have to pay return shipping, I'll probably just sell them to somebody and cut my losses. I'm going with a full Bassani setup now as I should have done in the first place.

SVTDom

cheetah on cocaine
Established Member
i have a magnaflow catback with stinger mufflers and borla stinger tips. I cant stand the way borla fits, my magnaflow fits perfect and the stainless is high quality. I like the bends in the magnaflow better to.

goodluck

CscottsSS

got boost?
Established Member
i have a magnaflow catback with stinger mufflers and borla stinger tips. I cant stand the way borla fits, my magnaflow fits perfect and the stainless is high quality. I like the bends in the magnaflow better to.

goodluck

How hard was it to weld the Stingers into the Magnaflow CB considering the different offsets? What did you pay to have it done? Also, what kind of midpipe are you running? I'm considering doing the same thing with my Magnaflow because I can't stand the blatty, old farm truck sound.

Thanks

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
wow, thats crazy to hear. i bought my stingers last summer and the fit/condition was great. I mounted them up to my magnaflow catted xpipe with no problems. When did this borla material/workmanship change over occur? Maybe it's happened within the past 18 months.....lord knows a bunch of other stuff has gone to hell in a hand basket since then.... :nonono:

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
I know I'll be getting the Borla Stinger catback before too long.

The sound cannot be beat. companies always do something to try to stay afloat. borla is still innovating too. Take a look at the new catback for the Camaro as an example. They are not looking to just go away.

They have a great rep and will look to keep it that way. Sure, there can be a few bad ones made by ANYONE.

If that is the case, send it back and request/demand a new kit.

but by and large, it sounds like there are two people who don't like them.

and the smaller diam. at the crossover is for easy fitting into the h or x.

If you would rather weld straight up, then it is a non issue. You can cut the smaller piece off, fab a new one and weld right up. Or have a shop do it for you.

The Borla Stinger system has the best flow and the best sound.

I do like the MagnaFlow as they sound like what FlowMaster is supposed to sound like, but the Borla sound is so crisp, clean, deep, and it just sounds like what a modern day hot rod should sound like.

I have heard Bassani, Mac, and Borla from a few other Cobras (and my own FlowMasters) and the Bassani sounded a little too indistinct, the Mac sounded like FlowMasters mostly, the FlowMasters sound like they drown out at higher RPMs, and the borlas sound like the monster the other ones are afraid of. At low RPMS, they sound rumbly and throaty and at high RPMS, they sound like they are very crisp - the best analogy I can give is a really high end speaker setup - with cheap ones, you get the details of the sound drowned out, but with good ones, you hear every beat of bass, the mids, and the highs. that describes the Borla Stingers to a "T"

It will be interesting to see how many others purchase these systems and like them or don't like them. Working for a company, you always get to see things that make you questions. I used to work for ATT and Verizon and I swore they were both lame. But guess what, I use one of them for my cell phone service.

When I get my Stingers, I'll chime in and see what the real deal is. I hope they are great. Cannot beat the sound. But if they are of poor quality, I will definitely post that up as well as demand a replacement (better) set.

Bballplayanick

K1ng C0bRa
Established Member
I had the same problem frosty. I had the pipes installed and they were rubbing against each other so I snapped some pictures, sent them to borla, and they sent me a whole knew system for no charge. Give them a call, they did the right thing for me, Im sure theyll help you out.

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
I had the same problem frosty. I had the pipes installed and they were rubbing against each other so I snapped some pictures, sent them to borla, and they sent me a whole knew system for no charge. Give them a call, they did the right thing for me, Im sure theyll help you out.

That sounds about right. Glad that worked out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread