I think my alternators voltage regulator is blown, anybody have the same expierence?

Boomer8404

SVTP & SVTOA Member
Established Member
So I was out at Autozone (the irony) getting parts to fix my 4Runner and I decided to get a little frisky and lay into the throttle coming out of the parking lot with a nice fishtail. Well right after that, my battery light came on and the voltage gauge would dang near peg to max, and strangely the abs light would come on with the battery light too. At stop lights were rpm would hit idle, the lights would go out. When I got home I shut it down and popped the hood and could smell that hot electrical smell, and the pos and neg battery cables were hot. I started it back up and at idle it was good, but with a few revs the battery and abs lights came on again and the voltage gauge would max out. Now at idle they wouldn't go out so I checked voltage at the battery... over 17v.

Any opinions? Ive gotten on my Cobra harder drag racing before and have never had this issue. It's a little puzzling, and annoying cause now I'm looking at spending around $200 for a remaned alternator.

Users who are viewing this thread