I think it's time...

ta2d1

---->HI
Established Member
...to do some bigger mods. First off let me say that i love this car and have no immediate plans to get rid of it. With that said i've had this car almost 4yrs now i feel like it's gotten a bit slow don't get me wrong it's still fast but i think i need more. Now i've been thinking about this for the past 2 months now and probably won't make a final choice till after the new year but i wanted to get a head start on things i will need. Now i'd love to say i plan on putting a turbo on but that's just way out of my price range i believe so my thinking was a WHIPPLE, here in is my problem I'm basically a noob when it comes to mods and have a huge fear of not getting the right stuff or getting more than i need. The help i need from you guys is what supporting mods should i get or i need to get to support mid 500hp range? thanks for any help/advice you offer.

chris

Snakesvt04

SCREW THIS
Established Member
K.B of course...if you drive it a lot keep a safe tune with not som much boost and you will enjoy the power

TRBO VNM

for that power I would consider...

injectors
MAF or Mafia will be needed
BAP

for the sc you need to consider if you are going with a single blade tbody or keeping the stock unit.

other mods:

HE
intercooler tank
idlers
will need belt
spark plugs
tune
EGR delete
subframe connectors

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
Just curious Jason, why would an EGR delete need to be done? Isn't the EGR function turned off at WOT?

TRBO VNM

Just curious Jason, why would an EGR delete need to be done? Isn't the EGR function turned off at WOT?

it isn't needed, just a mod I recommend when changing sc's. cleans up the engine bay nice, takes some heat out of the engine bay and makes more room.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
So this eliminates all of the wiring and "junk" on the drivers side of the blower?

TRBO VNM

So this eliminates all of the wiring and "junk" on the drivers side of the blower?

no. the EGR delete just removes the EGR valve and EGR tube that connects from the valve down to the driver side exhaust manifold. the tube has the heat wrap/sleeve on it back under the harness.

now, when I install a KB/Whipple/Etc. I do remove all that crap on the side of the blower and I redo the vac. lines. really cleans up the whole area. all that stuff can be turned off in the tune.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
no. the EGR delete just removes the EGR valve and EGR tube that connects from the valve down to the driver side exhaust manifold. the tube has the heat wrap/sleeve on it back under the harness.

now, when I install a KB/Whipple/Etc. I do remove all that crap on the side of the blower and I redo the vac. lines. really cleans up the whole area. all that stuff can be turned off in the tune.

Looks mighty fine once the new blower is installed. I can not believe the differnce that it made.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Long time no post Chris.

I would not fear anything when it comes to upgrading. The correct supporting mods is all you need. Question you need to ask is exactly where in HP do you want to be? You are not far from Mid 500 range with a Steig Port and a pully combination. Would be much cheaper then going to a Whipple / KB. However, if you see that you will eventually need more than mid 500's then a Whipple / KB can take you up to 600 and still remain on pump gas.

Either way there are plenty of people here to help and it has been done by so many. Good Luck!

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
Hey Chris, good to hear your still in the game.

I'm with Tim. Steigi, 4# lower, all pullies, BAP and you will easily be at 535hp. All for under $2k. If you want more than that, it will start around $6k, AND THEN, you will need/want to mess with your suspension. That rear end will need to be tamed. Rear IRS brackets, shock tower, strut, etc.

Now, I've been at 517hp for a couple of years and am itching to move up to something else. You should also consider this problem now. Next step for me will be the $6k upgrade. I can appreciate baby steps because I get a new ride every couple of years by upgrading. If I did it all back then, I would be bored by now. Just my .02.

TRBO VNM

the only IRS upgrades I would do are

Brace
brackets
poly diff bushings front and rear
half shafts
14mm bolts

then maybe IRS bushings later. other than that I really don't think much more is needed. a lot of people are even still running around with stock half shafts and offset those with tires.

ta2d1

---->HI
Established Member
thanks for the replies. I am aware this will not be cheap and it's part of the reason it's taken me this long to decide if i want to do it or not i'd rather spend 6-7k now then put a ported blower on and 6months later start looking to spend that 6,000 after i've allready spent the money for the ported. I'd also like to have room to grow if i wanted to and i don';t think the ported allows for much of that. I really don't drive it that much anymore due to my job it sat in my garage for 2 months during the summer. And i'm still around but work has me traveling a bunch and i just don't have a whole lot of time anymore.

chris

Users who are viewing this thread