I think i might be turning into a LS1 guy...

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
hehe, lol. Yeah, I love how huge the heads are when you pop the hood. everyone always tells me"an engine that big shouldnt be in that car" when I pop the hood for them.

CHUXSVT

HELL YEAH I STREET RACE!
Established Member
chevy suck.my brothers cobra spanks all the LS1's at the street races with little bolt ons.cobra all the way.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
frightning#650 said:
chevy suck.my brothers cobra spanks all the LS1's at the street races with little bolt ons.cobra all the way.
an 03 maybe.
an sn95 beating all ls1s? no sir.

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
quadcammer: I just can't understand the gas mileage thing. Theres no way that equally geared cars with the same tranny and one being over a full liter larger in displacement gets better gas mileage. I think the LS1s great gas mileage is more of a testament to other factors than the engine itself. Don't Camaros have amazing aerodynamics? That certainly helps on the highway. And the 6 speed helps more than we'd think I bet despite our 5th gear and the T56's 6th being very close. They can use 5th in places where we'd be stuck in 4th.

What I'm trying to say is put a 4.6 DOHC in place of an LS1 in a Camaro and I bet you're gonna see the same if not better gas mileage. Give me one reason why the LS1 "should" get better gas mileage than the 4.6, cause I can't believe an engine 1.1 liters bigger getting better mileage with all other factors equal. (And we're talking about factory stock engines here NOT modified).

Paul

Quadcammer

Established Member
grandestang said:
quadcammer: I just can't understand the gas mileage thing. Theres no way that equally geared cars with the same tranny and one being over a full liter larger in displacement gets better gas mileage. I think the LS1s great gas mileage is more of a testament to other factors than the engine itself. Don't Camaros have amazing aerodynamics? That certainly helps on the highway. And the 6 speed helps more than we'd think I bet despite our 5th gear and the T56's 6th being very close. They can use 5th in places where we'd be stuck in 4th.

What I'm trying to say is put a 4.6 DOHC in place of an LS1 in a Camaro and I bet you're gonna see the same if not better gas mileage. Give me one reason why the LS1 "should" get better gas mileage than the 4.6, cause I can't believe an engine 1.1 liters bigger getting better mileage with all other factors equal. (And we're talking about factory stock engines here NOT modified).

Paul

Paul, yes this is true. However, keep in mind that something like a ws6 trans am gets great gas mileage on the highway as well, and its far from aerodynamic with the pop up head lights and scoops galore. The 6 speed clearly helps as well.

I have not seen an out of car test, so I can't say, but overall, the ls1 is a great motor and i can only go by the tests in cars, so you may be right.

however, all i have heard is that the cars are similar in weight and aero.

Atlantic Blue

Established Member
checked my mpg the other day after running all over the mountains from 12000 ft back to 5000 ft, and I got avg of 31.2mpg. That wasn't all easy driving, as going up these passes here in Co. are pretty demanding. That's including high speed, low speed, paddling the gears constantly. Not bad for a 7 year old hp car.

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
Two things for Quadcammer

In my earlier post when i talked about if my car came with a 347 and AFR 185s and a victor junior intake. That was to say that all those things are similar to the STOCK equipment that comes on LS1s. SO OF FREAKING COURSE THEY MAKE GREAT POWER. Its just that the LS1 is not that amazing. ITs nothing that you couldnt do to your own car with aftermarket peices.

As for the gas milage thing lets not forget that they came from the factory with the dreaded skip shift technology which MAKES them skip gears so they get better milage. Im sure if a lot of us went from 1st to 3rd to 5th we would get better milage but who wants to do that.

Quadcammer

Established Member
WhiteDevil said:
Two things for Quadcammer

In my earlier post when i talked about if my car came with a 347 and AFR 185s and a victor junior intake. That was to say that all those things are similar to the STOCK equipment that comes on LS1s. SO OF FREAKING COURSE THEY MAKE GREAT POWER. Its just that the LS1 is not that amazing. ITs nothing that you couldnt do to your own car with aftermarket peices.

As for the gas milage thing lets not forget that they came from the factory with the dreaded skip shift technology which MAKES them skip gears so they get better milage. Im sure if a lot of us went from 1st to 3rd to 5th we would get better milage but who wants to do that.

you are comparing an aftermarket built motor to a stock ls1? thats not a really good comparison. Its an emissions legal small block with good power. use the ls6 for an even better example. Not to mention its not even close to tapped out as far as power potential. they love h/c and spray.

the skip shift is from 1st to 4th and only happens when you baby it.

not to mention im mainly talking about highway mileage.

CobraBen98

GO SPURS GO!
Established Member
Why don't we all go sell our Cobra's for the LS1's because they are SO BADASS?????? Then we can turn this website into an LS1 forum since everyone loves them sooooooo much????

I think they are crap and you'd be wasting your time and more money on a GM product. That's just my opinion.

I've never been "spanked" by an LT1 or an LS1 and that was even in my 96 Cobra that felt alot worse then the 98 I have now. If anyone beat me in an LS1 it was by very little. So just because of all these HP numbers that are SO much more than our cars, I'm not jumping the bandwagon and bowing down to the LS1.

I sure wish ford had put 351's in all the mustangs then this whole situation would be reverse. But we do very well with what we got against the "almighty" LS1.

Our motors are very, very efficient, and no one here can disagree with that.

Keep your cobra, or go get a DOHC, and you will definately be happier. That's my opinion.

COBRABEN98 he right why doesnt quadcammer go buy a shity chevy oh and u bet i can whop ls1 and lt1 ass my bro is right your wrong so go buy your self a chevy and get the hell out of here and go to the lS1 web.WE SHOULD MAKE A VOTE IF YOU THINK QUADCAMMER SHOULD GET A CHEVY AND GET OUT OF HERETHEN PUT GET OUT AND IF YOU THINK U HE SHOULD BACK UP HIS COBRA THE PUT KEEP THE COBRA ON YOU NEXT POST .THANKS OH FUUUUUUU*K CHEVYS THEY SUCK ASS

COBRABEN98 he right why doesnt quadcammer go buy a shity chevy oh and u bet i can whop ls1 and lt1 ass my bro is right your wrong so go buy your self a chevy and get the hell out of here and go to the lS1 web.WE SHOULD MAKE A VOTE IF YOU THINK QUADCAMMER SHOULD GET A CHEVY AND GET OUT OF HERETHEN PUT GET OUT AND IF YOU THINK U HE SHOULD BACK UP HIS COBRA THEN PUT KEEP THE COBRA ON YOU NEXT POST .THANKS OH FUUUUUUU*K CHEVYS THEY SUCK ASS

COBRABEN98 he right why doesnt quadcammer go buy a shity chevy oh and u bet i can whop ls1 and lt1 ass my bro is right your wrong so go buy your self a chevy and get the hell out of here and go to the lS1 web.WE SHOULD MAKE A VOTE IF YOU THINK QUADCAMMER SHOULD GET A CHEVY AND GET OUT OF HERETHEN PUT GET OUT AND IF YOU THINK U HE SHOULD BACK UP HIS COBRA THEN PUT KEEP THE COBRA ON YOU NEXT POST .THANKS OH FUUUUUUU*K CHEVYS THEY SUCK ASS

Quadcammer

Established Member
CobraBen98 said:
Why don't we all go sell our Cobra's for the LS1's because they are SO BADASS?????? Then we can turn this website into an LS1 forum since everyone loves them sooooooo much????

I think they are crap and you'd be wasting your time and more money on a GM product. That's just my opinion.

I've never been "spanked" by an LT1 or an LS1 and that was even in my 96 Cobra that felt alot worse then the 98 I have now. If anyone beat me in an LS1 it was by very little. So just because of all these HP numbers that are SO much more than our cars, I'm not jumping the bandwagon and bowing down to the LS1.

I sure wish ford had put 351's in all the mustangs then this whole situation would be reverse. But we do very well with what we got against the "almighty" LS1.

Our motors are very, very efficient, and no one here can disagree with that.

Keep your cobra, or go get a DOHC, and you will definately be happier. That's my opinion.

stop being so ****ing ignorant.

the ls1 is not a piece of junk. anybody who thinks so, knows nothing about engines.

our motors are not efficient. The s2000 has an efficient motor. 65hp/l is nothing great at all. not to mention for the size, they are pathetic. the ls1 isn't amazing in this regard either, but it does it with a hell of a lot less valvetrain.

the 351 is not even close to the engine the ls1 is. they love to spin bearings due to a bad oiling design and even the one they put in the cobra R only made 300hp. wowee.

I never said you had to like the car, but if you don't respect the engine, then you don't know much about engine.

Quadcammer

Established Member
MYSTICSTANG#47 said:
:shrug: wow, little pent up aggression? Grow up little boy, when you can talk like the big kids.

If i had the money sitting around to buy an ls1 car, i would. Add a cam and spray and put down over 500rwhp. man what a pos that is.

you are a troll anyway.

you show more and more ignorance with every post. How anybody who drives a ford can call a chevy crappy is beyond me. they are both shitty cars with good engines, except the ls1 is smaller, lighter, less complex and makes more power.

im not a brand loyal nutswinger, so I can take an objective view on motors.

xxxcobra

Factory Freak
Established Member
I agree with quadcammer some of you need to wake up to reality. :poke:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread