I think I killed my Cobra

Mt Twigbert

Established Member
***Update in below post***

Hey everyone,

I have a 99 Cobra which turned 15,000 miles today.. I added the Procharger at 11,000 miles..

I was driving home tonight, around 2:30 am, and I got on it as I was getting on the highway.. As I was driving I started to hear a loud 'cherping' noise.. I pushed in the clutch and reved it up and noticed the 'cherp' got louder and more frequent.. I looked at my guages and noticed I had zero oil pressure..

What does this mean? Is my Cobra dead? I drove it about 1 mile before I noticed the oil pressure and turned it off that very second and had it towed home..

I know the stock bottom end is crap and already have a 99 Cobra bottom end and forged rods which I planned on building while mine still ran.. But looks like I may have killed mine before I could get the replacement built..

What do you think?

Last edited:

Mt Twigbert

Established Member
The noise is not a 'clunk'... It was more or a loud, spine tingling 'cherp'.. Kinda like a bad cerp. belt..

But I had all power steering, brakes, lights, ect so I know it wasn't the belt..

What could cause that noise and no oil pressure?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think it's time to park it and start building that spare motor. With as finicky as these motors are with oil, I can't see anything not getting damaged with no oil pressure.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
could be a couple things man

kinda rare that oil pumps fail that early but anything can happen.
also if your oil pressure was very low it could be a spun rod bearing

or it could even be something like a just a bad oil pressure sensor for your gauge and your belt or alt making noise.

if it is something horrible i would check everything over really good and try to start it back up to get a better idea what really is happing, before you start tearing it apart.
change your oil and inspect it really good.
check antifreeze
maybe take the belt off to make sure it the noise isnt coming from the belt or alt,ect.(start it up with out the belt on it all together)
if you have internal damage starting it up for a min to trouble shoot it isnt going to hurt it anymore. the damage is already done.
just dont run it on the street, because if it is a spun bearing you can save the crank if it isnt to scuffed up. just start it to hear whats going on and maybe make a quick vid while its running.

Last edited:

Mt Twigbert

Established Member
So I take your advice Slow and I got out and look at the car.. I pop the hood and was totally suprised by what I saw!

The belt was all torn up.. Some of the belt looked like it had 4 out of the 6 ribs left and some of the belt looked like it was down to about 2 ribs left.. The belt even damaged the heat fabric on the hood..

I guess that would explain what the squeeling noise I heard was..

But then I began to question why the car would read no oil pressure.. So I called a local car guy and he said the belt might have knocked off a sensor for the oil pressure gage..

Upon further inspection I noticed the belt knocked off a sensor that was attached to the coolent cross over.. Do you think this would have also caused the car to not read the oil pressure? If not, does anyone or is anyone able to take a picture of where the oil pressure sensor is so I can check it to see if it's still connected? I tried looking under the car but didn't see anything else unplugged..

Thanks a ton..

Here are some photos..

DSC02038.gif

DSC02039.gif

DSC02036.gif

Beltpieces.gif

DSC02037.gif

DSC02042.gif

DSC02040.gif

Last edited:

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
thats your coolant sensor.
your oil sensor is on your oil cooler(by the oil filter)

check and make sure you head unit is tight. and your tensioner is still good.
that would be the first place i would look if it just starting acting up.
shoot me an email.
i have to go to work and i cant pull up this site.
ill have my email open from 3:30-2:30am
so if you need me feel free to contact me.
[email protected]
home email is
[email protected]
but hit me on the work email for the next 12 hours or so.

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
is it possible that one of your pullies siezed? i don't see you having that kind of wear with 4000 miles, is anything out of alignment?

Nazman

Established Member
You could also try a mechanical Oil Pressure gauge.

Sample the further away from the oil pump. The passenger side head, towards the front above #1 cylinder.

Take the reading from there. There is an Allen plug remove it and sample.

Thisi is the further out of the pump and the oil pressure will be the lowest there, if you have oil pressure there, then the sender is bad.

Autozone will sell you a gauge/line and adpater for like 20 bones.

I had an scared on my motor, no oil pressure as I was driving on the highway, I imediately turn her off...pulled to the side.

Long story short, it was the electric autometer pick up crapped on me.

Naz

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,T56,solid
Established Member
Yeah the sensor probably got knocked off or maybe the belt his it and messed up the sensor. Inspect and replace if needed. I would just put the new belt on and new sensor if needed and start er back up and see if you have oil pressure. If the oil pump went out then you know its already f'ed so mys well try this.

Here is the oil pressure sensor. The bigger bottom sensor is an aftermarket auto meter oil pressure sending unit. Yours should be like the one above it like mine.

oilpressuresensor2.gif

oilpressuresensor1.gif

Mt Twigbert

Established Member
Thanks a ton guys.. I'm gonna pull whats left of the belt and try to turn each and every pulley.. The car threw the belt a few months ago but I didn't think anything of it.. Now this.. I wonder if one of my pullies is shot..

Around 10,000 miles I changed a squeekie belt tensioner so I don't think that could be part of the problem but I guess it might not hurt to get a new one of those too..

Will keep you guys updated..

Users who are viewing this thread