I think I have the 1 -2 Grind on my 2011 What are my options.

I8URZ28

gas mileage is overrated!
Established Member
Hi all,

I just picked up my 2011 GT500 SVTPP about 2 weeks ago. I picked it up as a private party sale from a friend. The other day I was driving home and after romping on it in 1st and shifting to 2nd around 5500 RPM, I heard a harsh grind and was locked out of 2nd until the revs dropped to about 4K. So far, that was the first and only time the car has done this. The individual that I bought the car off of stated that it happened to him a few times also. I tried to duplicate the problem after that but couldn't. I didn't want to push it further so I didn't try again. After reading individuals post on this forum I am pretty sure this may be the start of the 1-2 gear grind.

So after reading multiple threads about the problem it looks to be as if its internal to the transmission. One insightful thread by a member on this forum stated that the syncho didn't match the speed of the throw of the shifter or something to that nature and that seems like a very accurate hypothesis.

My car just hit 20K I know the basic warranty is 3/36 but I read somewhere that the powertrain warranty is 5/60 The car is bone stock asides from some esthetic mods so I'd like to get this handled before I start bringing on more power.

So my questions are as follows: Do I battle with the dealership here and try to get them to fix it. I will tell you all that I am stationed in Warner Robins GA. the local dealerships here are a conglomerate. IE 5 star Hyundai, Nissan and Ford. I can also tell you first-hand that Nissan and Hyundai service department, dealerships in general, suck something awful and seeing how the Ford dealership wears the 5 star logo I can only assume the same from them.

So If I take it to the dealership what support if any will i need to get this taken care of --Is it even worth it, is there a legitimate fix or just a "throw another transmission in the car that has the same problem" fix

I have read that many go with an aftermarket shifter. For some this seems to fix the issue and would coincide with that member that made the statement about syncro engagement timing. So would that be a better option.

Thanks for the input. :beer:

Speedboosted

Established Member
I'm going through the same thing. Get ahold of Deysha, user name on this forum is FordService and hopefully she can get stuff figured out for you

I8URZ28

Established Member
Deysha..OK thanks -- Do you know what kind of fix Ford does? or is it just a transmission swap

I definitely haven't ruled out an aftermarket shifter. I had an MGW in my 03 and loved it, regardless of the outcome I will more than likely buy one anyway

Last edited:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
If u go with MGW make sure u get the updated version..the Gen 1's sucked from my expierience...I rock a Barton in my car and love it. My car had the 1-2 issue...a new clutch line and Barton shifter fixed it.

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
Hi all,

I just picked up my 2011 GT500 SVTPP about 2 weeks ago. I picked it up as a private party sale from a friend. The other day I was driving home and after romping on it in 1st and shifting to 2nd around 5500 RPM, I heard a harsh grind and was locked out of 2nd until the revs dropped to about 4K. So far, that was the first and only time the car has done this. ...
Hello I8URZ28,

I will first need you to bring it in to your dealer and have them diagnose your vehicle. Then speak with your service manager, as he is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

You can schedule an appointment online here. Let me know the outcome.

I'm going through the same thing. Get ahold of Deysha, user name on this forum is FordService and hopefully she can get stuff figured out for you
Thank you for the mention, 11shelbygt500!

Deysha

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I had mine repaired under warranty and got a new clutch, synchros, gears etc. It will still grind if I run it to near red line and try to shift to 2nd while the rear tires are spinning due to loss of traction. Solution: don't spin through the shift. If you are spinning at the shift time, press in the clutch and pause briefly to allow the rear tires to grab and thus line up the synchros.

upnorthguy

Established Member
I put a Barton in my car and love it. My car had the 1-2 issue...a new clutch line and Barton shifter fixed it same thing Blwn04svtcobra did.

I8URZ28

Established Member
Deysha..Thank you! I will try and find time this week or next to take it in. I will be in touch to let you know the outcome.

--I think I will do an aftermarket shifter also when and if the dealer repairs it.

Thank you all for the info. :D

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
If u go with MGW make sure u get the updated version..the Gen 1's sucked from my expierience...I rock a Barton in my car and love it. My car had the 1-2 issue...a new clutch line and Barton shifter fixed it.

You do realize that the Barton is essentially a cheap knockoff of the Gen 1 MGW (without the patented adjustability) don't you? If you didn't like the MGW it most likely wasn't adjusted to suit your particular tastes.

charged87

Established Member
I had the grind issue a few months back. .. mine was so bad that it would do it just above 2k rpm. I did the amsoil change nothing, I got a drake "Shelby America" shifter real cheap off someone to try it out again nothing still had the grind and lock out. I put it back to stock and brought it to the dealer and they replaced the whole transmission under warranty. My opinion if it's that bad a shifter change might not fix it but it's worth a try.... now I'm using the MGW gen2 that I just installed and loving it. No problem shifting at high rpm from 1st to 2nd.

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
Deysha..Thank you! I will try and find time this week or next to take it in. I will be in touch to let you know the outcome.

--I think I will do an aftermarket shifter also when and if the dealer repairs it.

Thank you all for the info. :D
You're welcome, I8URZ28! :)

Deysha

Users who are viewing this thread