I see a pattern with turbo cobras !!!

TWEAKED03

Established Member
I want to go turbo on my 03 but, it seems like every video I watch that has a turbo cobra in it the cobra losses or struggles to beat cars that it should blow alway. The turbo cars from a roll have short bursts of power.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/cobra/31/E5195FD2-D532-483D-B951-5BF9882EB78D.htm

601rwhp camaro vs 850rwhp cobra.. Cobra should easy trap over 140mph and the camaro should be mid 130's.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/+cobra/0/e9c6b4dd-b3ce-4221-a83b-10609ec8f492.htm

2.4l kb vs turbo cobra twin 57mm. 2.4L should be in the mid 130's and tt should be in the high 130's low 140's.

http://www.1320video.com/featured.php

720rwhp and losses to a gsxr600 {mid 120's at best} and gets blown away by a gsxr 1000. In the begining he races a 750 but watch the rider on the bike he sits up during the race.

Here is a video of a 475/503 03 cobra racing a 05R6....

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/cobra/6/57058985-aef8-42a9-b9fa-8a389de51a04.htm

This is the only video I can find where a turbo cobra is whoop'n ass on a boost integra

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/cobra/2/ade9e2e4-782f-4cc6-af8c-c4cfafbfd770.htm

I have watched videos of trbo vnms car run mid 10's at 137 and the 1320 ar ran a 10.94 at 137. And who can forget KOTS twin turbo mikes car 9.65 at 143. But why are they dominating on the track but not on the street? Am I missing something?

Last edited:

joemayo

Established Member
The car in the first video just trapped 140ish..

2nd video that's the TT from FL he had problems with that car and turbo kit and I thought he sold it...

3rd video that's vitomans cars.. he came home and had 3 fouled plugs so maybe that's why?

This is all from what I"ve read.. look at TurboVenoms hellion car he traps 137 at 20psi.... just how the car is tune and if no problems at the time...

TWEAKED03

Established Member
So the turbo cobras make the power, but seem to be problem cars or it is a tuner hit or miss setup.

TRBO VNM

I recommend a little more research before coming to that conclusion. I don't have time to post more right now, but will later. big difference between street racing and track.....

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
TWEAKED03 said:
So the turbo cobras make the power, but seem to be problem cars or it is a tuner hit or miss setup.

Huge power means huge problems, no matter what car. Give these guys some time to figure everything out, and I promise you will see much better races out of these turbo cobras soon.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
I never have a camera with me when i race just a co pilot. I've kicked the dog snot out of plenty of cars around here. I guess it's all in the driver and how THEY set up the car. Tuned or not.....if you can't manipulate a boost controller with the weather to match your tune your probaby gonna pop, foul out, or spin like crazy. I'm almost to the point of slapping my car on ebay, but i'm just starting to make time for myself to work out some kinks and get my ignition on. I should have some interesting videos up soon.

TWEAKED03

Established Member
Don't miss understand me I have nothing againest the turbo cobras. Like I said that is the plan for my car. Turbo vnm I have your track passes save on my computer along with your dyno vid and mike tt turbo and the white cobra with orange stripes.

You all are right about track racing and street racing. Track is all about ET {launch,gearing,suspension,etc} in other words you don't need power to pull times. I have watched a well setup fox body 12.90's at 99/100mph.

But street racing ET means zip........ Mph is what wins from a roll.

Thats is why I made this post. The first video of the hellion cobra! I have the issue where that car made 847/798 with 24psi/16degree of timing 91 pump with some 116 which would make that car run low 140's easy if turbo vnm ran 137.6 with 720 and the white/orange stripe ran 137 with 719. But it had a hard time racing a 640rwhp mid 130's camaro. Thats what makes no sense. In all those videos that turbo cobras should have WASTED the cars that they raced. And that is the pattern that I was seeing.

Yes ,you have to have a good tune on high hp cars but most all of this cars have been tuned on a dyno.

TWEAKED03

Established Member
0mineralgrey3 said:
I never have a camera with me when i race just a co pilot. I've kicked the dog snot out of plenty of cars around here. I guess it's all in the driver and how THEY set up the car. Tuned or not.....if you can't manipulate a boost controller with the weather to match your tune your probaby gonna pop, foul out, or spin like crazy. I'm almost to the point of slapping my car on ebay, but i'm just starting to make time for myself to work out some kinks and get my ignition on. I should have some interesting videos up soon.

So are turbo cobras just a big head ache? Do you mess with the car 85% of the time and enjoy it 15%?

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
Honestly...........I had a LOT more fun when the car was just a 500 hp ported eaton car. BUT on the other hand. I always joke with my friends about how i'm a legend around here. Everyone knows who i am. I try to go and get a race for fun (without my car even being around) and they're like NOO NO NO your that guy with the turbo cobra. Don't F*&^ with him. My car has been 12.11 at 135ish popping and sputtering down the track because i blew the mass air sensor out the cheap SCT plastic housing. Then to top it off i have a 3.1 60 ft. I have more fun driving this around just making it blow off and spool. God i've turned into a ricer. Shoot me.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
The 1320, the guy had 3 fouled plugs, thats why he lost.

He knew something was wrong and when got hoem found that out.

His car is stock(well motor is) with the turbo running 19.5 psi on race gas.

EDIT you also have to take in what other mods are done.

A local guy put a turbo on his, had nothing else done, even had stock tires, and couldnt beat shit.

Last edited:

nix5o

Established Member
joemayo said:
The car in the first video just trapped 140ish..

2nd video that's the TT from FL he had problems with that car and turbo kit and I thought he sold it...

QUOTE]

There is nothing wrong with jdk's old car. Svtowner has it now, I've worked on it and drove it. I went 10.6 @ 128 with 14psi and pump gas in it when I was home in May. I think in some of these video's your seeing lack of driving, and shit hapens too. When you race one of these cars on the street you have to make sure it is spooled up, if not your going to get whooped everytime.

TRBO VNM

the turbo world is really just kicking off with the terminators. Back when I had my 92lx everyone said they were headaches and mroe maintenance then they are worth, not anymore and that all may have been garbage talk back then.

The big thing with turbo that people don't understand when getting into it, is that you can't just bolt it on and thing you are going to run 9's. I thought so and had a rude awakening. Manual cars and turbo's don't work together well without everything being setup correctly. Basically, launching at the track and getting out of the hole is the tricky part. I am in the process of R&D with this myself.

luckily, I found out that the mode on my MSD boxes was incorrect. I had it on timed delay and after releasing the retard/2-step when I launch it would still maintain my retard for about 1-1.5sec after. So I was launching at negative or less than 5 degrees of timing. Hence, all my bogging issues off the line.

hopefully this weekend I will get back to the track and try it out again. I would expect much better launching results. I had help with the MSD setup and since the car started I figured it was correct and never looked into it any further. I was just dealing with the issues and trying to work around it. Jon Lund's son actually found the problem while he was installing his fathers MSD.

Also, headache's? no way. not for me anyway. Even the guys with the eaton's, KB and Whipples are working on their cars a lot. Think about it, we mod these cars and keep modding them, so we are usually always working on them in some sense.

I just went on a 2500 mile road trip with my car to florida and back. 330 miles to the tank, AC blowing the whole way and running 75-80mph. The only problem I had was my wideband sensor took a shit. other than that it ran great and had no issues.

SupraDupra

Established Member
I am new to the Cobra world, but having high hp Supra I can tell you that turbo's are the most difficult of the power adders to tune for. For one you have so many more components and factors in determining boost with a turbo than with a supercharger. Also the heat that a turbo generates is immense. Boost with a turbo is non-linear (especially big turbos) unlike a supercharger which is harder on the powertrain and drivetrain. Detonation is always a concern with a turbo (over-boosting).

Me personally, I would not reccomend a big turbo car for a daily driver. Weekend warrior sure.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
jason,

By any chance can you shoot me a pm with your MSD settings. I keep trying to make time to put mine in, but other crap keeps coming up.

TRBO VNM

SupraDupra said:
I am new to the Cobra world, but having high hp Supra I can tell you that turbo's are the most difficult of the power adders to tune for. For one you have so many more components and factors in determining boost with a turbo than with a supercharger. Also the heat that a turbo generates is immense. Boost with a turbo is non-linear (especially big turbos) unlike a supercharger which is harder on the powertrain and drivetrain. Detonation is always a concern with a turbo (over-boosting).

Me personally, I would not reccomend a big turbo car for a daily driver. Weekend warrior sure.

depends on what you call a big turbo, but I see you said you are new to the corbra world, just a FYI, my tuner has said tuning the turbo's has been easier than the eaton, twin screw world. The the hellion kit it is very easy to duplicate results and tuning. Heat? My car stays cooler and my Intake Temps are a lot lower with the turbo than the eaton and from what I have seen, lower than twin screws as well.

gotta remember, a supra is not a cobra and cobra is not a supra. whole different world between the two. basic concepts will be the same, but I wouldn't go any farther than that. It is just like someone trying to design a turbo kit for one vehicle manufacturer and then trying to design a kit for another car manufacturer. Both are different, use different processors, let along if one uses a standalone unit and the other uses a stock processor.

SupraDupra

Established Member
I agree with you, Supra nd Cobra are different animals, but the physics are the same. The heat i was reffering to was not intake temps but underhood heat. The immediate shock of a large turbo (T6 frame) hitting boost as opposed to building linearly with a centifugal or being flat with a PD blower.

But on the flip side, turbo's are infinitely more tunable since you can control boost with electronics as opposed to having to change pulleys witha SC.

I would think for the 500 whp (after which, driving on the street gets hairy LOL) setup a SC would make more sense. Just my .02

TRBO VNM

SupraDupra said:
I agree with you, Supra nd Cobra are different animals, but the physics are the same. The heat i was reffering to was not intake temps but underhood heat. The immediate shock of a large turbo (T6 frame) hitting boost as opposed to building linearly with a centifugal or being flat with a PD blower.

But on the flip side, turbo's are infinitely more tunable since you can control boost with electronics as opposed to having to change pulleys witha SC.

I would think for the 500 whp (after which, driving on the street gets hairy LOL) setup a SC would make more sense. Just my .02

I agree about the 500whp and more sense to go SC, but hairy on the street? na, we all get use to it and need more...damn this addiction.

My underhood temps with the 76 are definitely lower that with the eaton and what a KB car would be. although I would agree with a larger turbo the temps will get pretty high.

sprx19

Established Member
My Cobra is not turbo'ed, but I can say from the experience of highway racing my Subaru that has an upgraded turbo that you HAVE to brake boost to have a chance against fast cars. If you are racing a juiced Camaro w/ 600 hp you better be spooled by the 3rd honk or he is going to have 3 cars by the time the big turbo Cobra is spooled. These turbo guys need to learn to use the brakes to spool the turbo.

TRBO VNM

sprx19 said:
My Cobra is not turbo'ed, but I can say from the experience of highway racing my Subaru that has an upgraded turbo that you HAVE to brake boost to have a chance against fast cars. If you are racing a juiced Camaro w/ 600 hp you better be spooled by the 3rd honk or he is going to have 3 cars by the time the big turbo Cobra is spooled. These turbo guys need to learn to use the brakes to spool the turbo.

I agree to a point and have been learning the brake boosting as well. hard to maintain the same speed with the brake on and gas to the floor. definitely a technique that takes time to learn. However, I have raced a 650rwhp whipple cobra and I did not brake boost. he pulled 1/2 car on me and that was all she wrote. I walked right by him after that. got it on video as well. he was running like 23# and I was running 20#.

Users who are viewing this thread