I put my phone number in a Craigslist ad, now everything has gone to hell

Phallen

Trackday Junkie
Established Member
Well.................... shit.

(sigh)

In the past, I haven't had any issues. No problems for years. People text or call and it works out or not.

But now, there is a computer virus hack that has got me all ****ed up. Here is the best of what I can tell has happened;

A computer program is going around and snatching phone numbers from CL ads.

It then puts it into a program that....unbeknownst to the people that own the phones....call OTHER CL listers. But people answer the phone thinking the other person has called them.

And it's all CL posters. I know this from the vm's, texts, and talking to people. We all had just recently put in an ad on CL. I get about 30-50 calls a day from numbers all around the US. And somehow this program is dialing my number from a servor, then the other number 'shows up' on my phone for me thinking they are calling me.

F'ing annoying.

CL has no customer service. AT&T & T-Mobile are aware of the problem. And Verizon is starting to become aware. Vertizon doesn't want to do anything except suggest I get a new number (I've had this one for 12+ years). Verizon is also deferring the problem to me, that it is my fault I put my number out there. (sigh)

I tried to argue and tell them that this is a computer hack, and is nothing less than a cyber terrorist tactic for the sole purpose of disruption and annoyance. They weren't having it. Already spoke with the FBI, they're looking into it.

So....I'm sure you ALL KNOW.......but I am going to reiterate.....

DON'T PUT YOUR PHONE NUMBER ON THE DAMN CRAIGSLIST ADS. Even if you spell it out or mix it like 123-four five six- 7 eight 9 ten... just don't do it.

After using CL for years with no problems, now it has come back to bite me in the ass.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's crazy, never heard of that.

Good luck! Sounds like I would get a new number.

cj428mach

Established Member
I have never put my phone number in a craigslist ad and never would. There is nothing I need to sell or buy bad enough to go through the hassle of posting my number in one of those ads. Sorry you got burnt.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Damn. I just sold a phone thru CL a couple weeks ago, even put my number in the ad. Sold the phone within hours and took the ad down without issue. This sucks OP!

Steve@Tasca

Best option is a dedicated e-mail address that you use only for Craigslist and only respond to e-mails that are obviously from humans and include a phone number.

I've sold dozens of rebuilt/restored bicycles over the last few years and have learned how to avoid scammers and issues with things like the OP is running into.

-Steve

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
hahahahahahaha

wow.

change your #. Next time, use a google number and set it up to where it forwards to your actual number without screening/announcing the call when you pick up.

That way you can change your google number if necessary and not have to change your true number.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
DON'T PUT YOUR PHONE NUMBER ON THE DAMN CRAIGSLIST ADS. Even if you spell it out or mix it like 123-four five six- 7 eight 9 ten... just don't do it.

Common sense in my book.

That's what google voice is for. Last time I sold a car, I got voicemails 3 weeks later bitching about how I never mentioned it needed brakes. I honestly didn't know. Then he tried to sell it, and someone at a forum asked me about it, since they knew I owned it. I responded, and got more voice mail threatening to sue for slander.

Best option is a dedicated e-mail address that you use only for Craigslist and only respond to e-mails that are obviously from humans and include a phone number.

Just one? I have a handful of throw away email accounts.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i never put my number in. interested people have to email me to get it.

i made the mistake recently of listing a car for sale on autotrader. got ONE legit caller and about ten sales people trying to sell me on their stupid websites that list cars for sale. :nonono:

RX1Cobra

Established Member
That sucks buts it's kinda funny... since it didn't happen to me.

In college I worked in a call center. We used to take two headsets and put the mic by the other ones speaker. So the people that called in would talk to each other and we'd sit back and laugh.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
that sucks.

I know the few times I've sold shit on there I made a separate gmail account. Talk about a shitload of spam/scam emails.

Seems like your best option is to change your number which blows

oldmodman

Established Member
So maybe it's time to put up a few ads with the local FBI and Copshop phone numbers in the ads. That might get some faster action.

Buy maybe not the kind that would be an y help to eliminating the stupid phone hackers.

srt10ram

The Little 2v That Could
Established Member
I still get calls from oncedriven, asking to sell my motorcycle for me. It's been damn near two months since I sold the old bike and took the ad down...:nonono:

J-Hem

Guy Trilby
Established Member
This happened to me about 4 years ago. Before I knew it everyone I knew was getting weight loss e-mails and relationship advice and self help crap and my Hotmail was hijacked and corrupted. I was getting bogus phone calls and e-mails seemingly non stop. It was brutal. I laugh at it now. But it wasn't funny at the time. Lesson learned. Hackers and phreakers suck. And I use Craigslist as an absolute last resort now its so fraught with pirates and idiots. My condolences dude.

Nickerz

wh1plsh
Established Member
Don't worry, within a couple weeks whoever is running this will be raided and shut down. You get on big company's radars like this and prepare to be ****ed by the long dick of the law.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
unfortunately there's pretty much nothing you can do to stop it. Spoofware has been out there for years.... Back in highschool when smart phones came out we used to **** with eachother and do things like call our friend posing as his girlfriends phone number while hes hanging out with another girl. That and when I got a job that required you to check in by calling a phone number from the accounts phone. If I was running late I would just spoof the number to make it look like I was calling from a phone at the account.

That's why you should never put your phone number on a craigslist ad, muchless a cell phone that you use everyday

Users who are viewing this thread