I pulled an Idiot - Need Help.

skstang

Established Member
Well I changed my Oil yesterday and today I smelled oil while driving. My dumbass forgot to put the Oil cap back on after I added a liitle Oil. The Hood Liner is soaked and a little of the engine compartment is wet. No real loss of Oil, still half way in between Min and Max but enough to get everything all messy.

Two questions.

1. Can we just simply wash the engine compartment with some cleaner and a hose?

2. Anyone know how much a new Hood liner costs? P/N?

Please dont make fun of me I feel like a real ass. Changed my oil many times without doing something stupid like this.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Spray it down with Simple Green ($3.99 at Walmart) full strength, then hose it off.

As far as the hood liner - $64.99 here:

Ford Parts Network

Bookmark this site!

Don't worry - I've done much worse! :-D

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
1. There are several people that wash there engines on a regular basis. I wouldn't wash it until you figure out the right way to do it. There are something that you should get wet.

2. I think I remember someone telling me that the liner was like $100.

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
i used to wash my 99 cobra engine with Simple green and hose it off. But I've been told not to do that with my car. What I would do if i were you is spray simple green on a clean towel wipe down your dirty parts. Then use another damp towel and wipe it off, then (maybe a little overkill) use another towel to wipe everything off. This is the procedure I am using now to clean the blower, valve covers, and other various parts and pieces in side the engine. There is no way in hell I would pour water straight on to the fuel injectors....it just doesn't seem right. And if you have an open filter you probably don't want to get that wet either.

Steve Snake Driver

Established Member
I don't think a new hood liner is $100. I think its closer to $50-60.

Also, if by some chance you do decide you want to use a hose to clean the engine....DON'T DO IT WITH THE ENGINE WARM!

Sorry for the yelling, but I thought it was important;)

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Originally posted by skstang
Well I changed my Oil yesterday and today I smelled oil while driving. My dumbass forgot to put the Oil cap back on after I added a liitle Oil. The Hood Liner is soaked and a little of the engine compartment is wet. No real loss of Oil, still half way in between Min and Max but enough to get everything all messy.

Two questions.

1. Can we just simply wash the engine compartment with some cleaner and a hose?

2. Anyone know how much a new Hood liner costs? P/N?

Please dont make fun of me I feel like a real ass. Changed my oil many times without doing something stupid like this.

Put the oil cap back on before you decide to wash the engine compartment.

Get married so the next time you do this you can blame the wife.

That being said... you have nothing to lose to try and clean the hood liner. Get the crows foot tool to remove the plastic plugs that hold it to the hood. Also disconnect the ground strap that goes to the liner. Take the liner out and try cleaning it with water and a mild dish soap. If you are careful perhaps you can do this and not have the thing go crazy. If you let it dry laying flat in the sun less chance of it "sagging" like it would under the hood.

If it doesn't work.. :shrug: Then order a new one.

And no, you aren't the only one that has ever done this.... don't ask me how I know this... fortunately you are the first I've heard of doing this with an '03.:dw:

skstang

Established Member
Woohhooo Im first at something ArizonaSnake. Ooops I mean OK. I think I will go get some Simple green and spray it down and then fill up a Empty Zaino Z6 bottle with Water and spray it off. Hopefully that will work. I will be alright with that Oil soaked for a day or two right? It's not going to catch fire or anything?

sho95

Established Member
HAHAHAHA i dont mean to laugh but it brings back memories!

Buddy had his toyota celica and did the same thing after adding oil to it because it already burned oil with the cap on....

Anyways were on the way to the cottage in two seperate cars when we pull into a Micky D drive thru with walls on both sides (dual drive thru windows) I am behind him when I thought to myself i was in a 007 movie.. Mind you the drive thru was packed being a friday night on a busy highway to cottage country...
I lost all site of mostly everyone around me..

My buddy pulls his car out of the drive thru and says to me he thinks its gonna blow!!!! After turning it off and popping the hood, being a little skeptical she actually could blow.
Well the first thing i notice is the big hole for the oil cap. Sitting beside the hole is the actual oil cap. Looking at the hood foam notice that it was pinned there and held for over 100 Kms...

Oh yes and he never had to worry about his engine bay rusting.

Memories. I thank you!!!:beer:

Last edited:

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by mosconiac
Simple green and leave the hood liner off.

I use simple green (picked it up at auto zone for 3 bucks) and keep my hoodliner off. You will be ok!

When I spray my motor down, I cover the filter, fuse box, and do not directly spray it on the spark plug covers.

Last edited:

skstang

Established Member
All clean

Thanks for your help guys. Cleaned up the engine compartment with Simple Green and sprayed it down with a water bottle. This stuff works great. Very very clean now. I ordered a new hood blanket from Ford for $ 69 with Tax. Should be here by Thursday. Time to do the trim again for the vents. I just didnt feel safe about leaving the liner off. These engines just get so damn hot.:beer: By the way after I changed my oil this weekend I polished the insides of my chromies and painted my break calipers red(fronts). Boy what a differnce this makes on our cars. A much sportier look. Makes it stand out more.

Last edited:

FX-Man

Driving the Uber Fairmont
Established Member
Got ya beat, when my '90 GT was about a month old I changed the oil and left the cap sitting on top of the motor when I closed the hood. Put a little dimple in the hood :bash: :bash: Oh well, at least I didn't have to stress over the first ding anymore.:bored:

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
I use simple green (picked it up at auto zone for 3 bucks) and keep my hoodliner off. You will be ok!

When I spray my motor down, I cover the filter, fuse box, and do not directly spray it on the spark plug covers.

Bassin is exactly right. As you may or may not know, I have a power washing business. I have pressure washed my '03 engine three times since I got it. [Very carefully the first time]. I sponge it down and rinse with the power washer. I make a quick pass in three directions to rinse. The air filter and electronics should definitely be avoided. You don't want to short out the computer. The safest way is to let it dry completely before you start it but I usually don't wait. I towel dry everything I can and Haven't had any problems. [knock on wood]. I also use the pw to get the bugs out of the radiators but you have to be extremely careful to shoot directly head on at them so you don't bend the fins. Don't get too close if you try this.

Users who are viewing this thread