I need Your opinion on painting or polishing the valvecovers PICS

roushstage2

Established Member
I had been planing on having both valve covers, the supercharger, my new LFP intercooler reservoir, and the steeda CAI cover all polished. Do you guys think that will be alittle much. I was starting to think about painting the valve covers the body color (Zinc Yellow), and then painting black flames from the front to the back. Then I will go ahead and polish the rest of those pieces.

So give me your opinions on this idea. Is it too ricey or do you think it will look good. :shrug: I would like to paint black flames on the car later on (at least a year or two).

I could powder coat them also (how hard is it for them to match a body color in the powder coat?) The reason I thought about adding flames is because they would be bright yellow. I think a solid color to match the body is great on white, black, or maybe blue. But Zinc Yellow, I thought that might stand out alittle much. So I figured the flames would break that up some. Give me some more opinions, I need to make a choice soon, so I can get the car back together.

If someone is thinking about thaking their valve covers off, let me tell you it is a pita. The drivers side took forever, I dont think I would have done it had I known it would be this much trouble. I had to take the front seat out to get under the dash, and it still was not easy. For a 6 foot 2 guy 275lbs it doesnt make it much easier even with the seat out. Putting it back together is going to be real fun (I am going to have to bleed the brakes since I removed the hydra-booster).

Here are the pics. I didnt clean anything up before the pics so everything is scattered.
771478_36_full.jpg

771478_37_full.jpg

771478_38_full.jpg

771478_39_full.jpg

I posted this in another section, but I think it will get more attention here.

Last edited:

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
You REMOVED the entire Hydraboost? Wow! I thought there was a way to just loosen it and snake the cover past it. That does make it a HUGE PIA!!

Fast Willy

Established Member
I say go with black. Black and yellow is a great combo plus when you open the hood you wont be blinded and black is known to disapate heat better thats why ford paints all there blocks black.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Black or yellow.

Look at those cams...mocking us all. "Change me! Change me!"

roushstage2

Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
You REMOVED the entire Hydraboost? Wow! I thought there was a way to just loosen it and snake the cover past it. That does make it a HUGE PIA!!

There was no way, believe me I tried. I had it loose but all it would do is move foward about an inch because of the metal brake lines. That didnt do athing as far as getting it off. Once I removed the brake lines the booster came right out and the cover sliped right off.

As for the color are you guys saying solid black or yellow or with the flames? I dont think I will go black because I want it to stand out alittle bit more than that.

Right now its tied so lets get some more opinions.

maddrabitt

Established Member
There is a place in El Cajon out here in California that does insane work at even more insane prices. A member on here named HotWheels got his KB and valve covers polished for $300. Ive seen the work in person and it is just about the best polishing Ive ever seen. If I new how to link to other threads I would show you, but you should be able to do a search on HotWheels for a thread called Polished Kenne Bell and Valve Covers. Top notch work... Heres a link to some OK pics, but you get the point

http://www.socalstangs.com/photos/misc/kristian/polish/index.htm

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree with Doug. Yellow to match your exterior/engine bay. Polished would look nice with yellow paint as well. Maybe polished with yellow coil covers. JMO. I'm sure whatever you pick will be nice. :)

roushstage2

Established Member
CobraBob said:
Got SVT, can you post a pic here?

Here is the pic he sent me. This was posted by a member of another fourm.

This looks great, it may have made my choice much easier. I was thinking of doing yellow covers with black flames, but this looks so good I may do black covers with yellow flames. But I would do the whole front of the cover instead of just the coil cover.

What do you folks think?

attachment.php

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You might still want to at least look at polished covers with black/yellow lettered coil covers. Or polished covers with black coil covers and yellow flames (if you like flames). This would look especially nice with a JLP intake with black tube and yellow flames or yellow tube with black flames.

I just think the above has too much black, but that's JMO. Everyone has their personal preferences. :)

Users who are viewing this thread