I Need Help Deciding what tire to run...

YellowCobra04

Established Member
I currently have the stock OEM Goodyears (1700 miles on my car), and I am getting bad wheel hop on a rolling first gear takeoff. I haven't tried a dig yet because I have a feeling I know what would happen. My question to yall is what tire should I get. I am looking at possibly a set of BFG KD's, what kind of traction could I expect out of these vs. the stockers.

I don't go to the drag strip except on a very rare occasion, and I never do any burnouts. What kind of performance could I expect out of set of BFG KD vs. Stockers? I am looking for a tire that can preform from a dig to a Sunday drive.

I would also consider a pair of BFG Drag Radials if I had to. If I did go this route what tires should I run on the front (g-Force Sport)?

P.S. I work for Michelin so I will only run BFGs or Michelins... :beer:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Being it's obviously not a wet weather vehicle I'd go with nothing less than a BFG drag radial. There's other tires that are stickier, but they're not a BFG of Michelin. :D

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Want to get rid of that hop? Get a drag radial...just be advised that they aren't safe
in the rain. Nitto DR's are pretty solid in the rain though.

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
Stock Eagle F1's best time - 12.61
285 BFG KDW's best time (same mods) - 12.33

They're a good tire and look pretty good, but I agree w/ 96stanggt, get the BFG DR. Its what I have on the car now and I like them alot. :beer:

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
If you have to run BFG or Michelin than the BFG DR's. But screw the discount you will have to buy them often. If its not a daily then not a big deal. The Nitto DRs will get you more of what your looking for. They will give you better traction than your stockers, they won't be too bad if you happen to get caught in the rain, and they will last longer than the other DRs out there.

YellowCobra04

Established Member
Yall that are running DR, what tires do you have on the front of your cars?

I work at the BFG in Tuscaloosa. I see plenty of the drag radials going out, so they must be selling pretty good. What size are you going for?

Right now I am going to stay with 275/40/R17.

Last edited:

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Yall that are running DR, what tires do you have on the front of your cars?

Right now I am going to stay with 275/40/R17.

I still have the original fronts on mine. I am going to be going to a Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s in stock size 275/40/17 soon though. The original fronts have worn on the sides. Usually on the rear I run the Micky Thompson 315-35-17 DRs.

blksvtCOBRA714

Established Member
I have the kdw and with my power, I can get traction in first or second gear, if you go with BFG go with the drag radial, that's what I plan on going with after these tires wear out.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
If you have to run BFG or Michelin than the BFG DR's. But screw the discount you will have to buy them often. If its not a daily then not a big deal. The Nitto DRs will get you more of what your looking for. They will give you better traction than your stockers, they won't be too bad if you happen to get caught in the rain, and they will last longer than the other DRs out there.

Very well said...the reason I run the Nitto Drs...

YellowCobra04

Established Member
Are any of you guys running drag radials on the front? I'm going to stick with the stock 275/40/R17, and this would let me be able to rotate them front to back.

Qwk GT

Established Member

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Are any of you guys running drag radials on the front? I'm going to stick with the stock 275/40/R17, and this would let me be able to rotate them front to back.

You're kidding right? You don't want a drag radial up front. Besides, drag radials don't last very long. Burn 'em up and replace them.

Users who are viewing this thread