I need a whole house generator.

TxCobra76

Established Member
I am typing this as I sit on my front porch because the house is dark. We are out of power yet again because of severe storms. I now have to dig my gas powered generator back out of storage,even though I just put it up a week ago. So I'm thinking of buying a whole house generator in the near future so we will have no lapse of power. Looking at a Generac brand 22kw natural gas one. I've never installed or used one of these. All I know of it is what the generac website says. If anybody has advice/experience with a whole house generator let me know. I'm not committed to any brand so I'm open for suggestions.Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

keystonemedical

Established Member
I went with a GE 20kw propane unit a few years ago for my place. I was going to go with Generac but stumbled across a good deal on the GE. It has a B&S Vanguard in it I think. I change the oil/filter in it once a year and keep it clean. It runs good, not really loud and is really efficient on propane. My point is, look around for a good deal. I really dont think there is a huge difference in performance between brands. I think with Generac, your paying a little more for a name. Lets face it, its just a generator, hopefully youll only use it a few times and will spend more hours in exercise mode once a week then actually running your house. Now, if your a prepper / off the grid type and need it as your only source of power, then Id do extensive research between manufacturers.

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
I am an electrician. I don't do a lot of generator installs but I do like the generac generators. The evolution controller is a nice feature. The generator as green,yellow, red led visible from a distance. If the system encountered a problem durning its weekly test the led will go red or yellow. You can then review a trouble code. The generac also has a 100 hour oil change maintance schedule.

Buckwheat 1

Established Member
I went with a GE 20kw propane unit a few years ago for my place. I was going to go with Generac but stumbled across a good deal on the GE. It has a B&S Vanguard in it I think. I change the oil/filter in it once a year and keep it clean. It runs good, not really loud and is really efficient on propane. My point is, look around for a good deal. I really dont think there is a huge difference in performance between brands. I think with Generac, your paying a little more for a name. Lets face it, its just a generator, hopefully youll only use it a few times and will spend more hours in exercise mode once a week then actually running your house. Now, if your a prepper / off the grid type and need it as your only source of power, then Id do extensive research between manufacturers.
The engine on the generac is suppose to be purpose built for the generator vs ones that might also be used and driving lawn mowers with other brands. I was impressed with how Generac handled a product defect on some of its transfer switches that showed up in the market a few years back.

Buckwheat 1

Established Member
Will a 20kw or close to it run AC unit?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Generac transfer switches should have 1 or two relays built in to handle load shedding during start up. I would do a load calculation of what your house draws.

keystonemedical

Established Member
My 20k runs the entire house with my Geothermal heat pump which handles both the heat and cooling, electric hotwater heater, well pump,fridge and one small freezer. I do however keep my lights and other things at a minimum when Im on generator power.

TxCobra76

Established Member
Thanks for the info fellas. We just heard we're gonna be out at least 48 hours.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I've had great success using Generac industrial units in the 20kw-50kw range.

So much so that I only recommend them to my process control clients and nothing else.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I've had a Generac for close to 4 years with zero issues. It tests itself weekly and has a green light to let me know it is ready. It is a god send when the electric goes out and I can sit here like normal. Have an electrician that is familiar with the brand set it up as it needs to be programmed/balanced for operation. (I remember something like that). Kohler is good too for residential.

Buckwheat 1

Established Member
IMG_4358.jpg

TxCobra76

Established Member
Good info. When I get one it will be natural gas as I already have that available.

SirShaun

Established Member
Whatever you do, make sure you install it to code. You'll probably even want a county building inspector to sign off on it.

I purchased a house with a whole house generator. I had the previous owners hook it up, and have it serviced as part of the closing agreement. The home inspector I used, didn't say anything negative about it.

My propane provider comes out and unhooks it. Apparently the exhaust is too close to the attached garage window, and they aren't having it.

It's on a slab and everything, I figured for sure it was done right. I haven't switched propane vendors yet, to try and get around having to move it. I keep putting it off. I'm sure someone will let it be. I wanted to share so you are aware.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
The issue with diesel or propane is that during catastrophic disasters, most gas stations are shut down due to no electric power, meaning that their pumps don't work and when you run out, you're done.

Natural gas, though, usually remains flowing because the upstream compressors usually are powered off the gas they are pumping.

Buckwheat 1

Established Member
Whatever you do, make sure you install it to code. You'll probably even want a county building inspector to sign off on it.

I purchased a house with a whole house generator. I had the previous owners hook it up, and have it serviced as part of the closing agreement. The home inspector I used, didn't say anything negative about it.

My propane provider comes out and unhooks it. Apparently the exhaust is too close to the attached garage window, and they aren't having it.

It's on a slab and everything, I figured for sure it was done right. I haven't switched propane vendors yet, to try and get around having to move it. I keep putting it off. I'm sure someone will let it be. I wanted to share so you are aware.
Usually the manufacturer spec for clearance is 5 ft from windows for exhaust and 2 ft to 5 ft for combustible materials. Being on a slab is great but it is required to be anchored to the cement. The generator will walk from vibrations if it not secured.

_Satch_

Established Member
I just had a Generac 25kw installed last fall. I could have probably got by with a 22kw but it would have had to have a 3 surge switches put on the heavy electrical usage hitters (AC, Pool Heater and Hot Tub) so they weren't all drawing at the same time when the generator kicked in. With the 25kw generator I did not need any switches and by bumping up to the next size unit I got a water cooled engine instead of the air cooled. I like OVERKILL too! Natural gas actually produces less BTU's than the diesel and gas ones, so I'm not actually producing 25kw because the engine isn't producing full power because of the fuel. Find a Generac Dealer and Installer. They come to the house and size the generator accordingly.
-Satch

JimCSHO

Established Member
We had a Generac on our last home. Ran the entire house, including AC. Best thing we ever did.

Power goes out and in seconds it kicked on. Natural gas is the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread