I might be falling in love w/ my new SRT-4...

tfoster405

Established Member
Hey all...I have been a long time ford guy with a 15 year history of 5.0L's and one terminator.

I have had my '03 cobra 29 months. I bought it with 1500 miles on it. It now has 3200. I don't really drive it much. I have only put on a Borla cat-back, K&N CAI, and BBK 65mm twin T-body. The car is perfect. Never a day or night outside. Still smells new inside.

Car has dynoed at around 410 rwhp with stock tune. Never taken it to the track.

Anyway, I have grown a little bored over the last year with it.

I always felt like I did not want to drive it to work (25 miles each way) because I did not want to put miles on it or get a rock chip.

One night I was looking at streetfire.net and saw this video of this orange SRT-4 (R.J-Lo) racing a 519 RWHP GT500 and a 500+ RWHP Terminator.

This little SRT-4 kicked the GT500 ass... bad... and barely walked the terminator. All from a role. SRT-4's on radials are not good from a hole.

I checked into the mods for the SRT-4 and saw that he did have an aftermarket turbo and he was making around 420+ FWHP.

Anyway, two weeks later I was driving home from NC to MD in my new SRT-4 ('05 w/ 7k miles). Car was 100% stock. Car made 238 hp on my g-tech and ran a 13.8 on my g-tech also.

It has been six weeks and so far with just simple bolt-ons (CAI, Waste Gate Actuator, cat-back, and big air to air intercooler) I am registering over 300 HP on my g-tech spinning all the way through 2nd gear. I got the boost set at 18 psi and it drops to 15 psi at red-line. The car get 30+ mpg on the highway and I am averaging 27 mgh w/ mixture back and forth to work. I have made NO fuel mods... Stock fuel system is good for 350 crank HP.

One thing I have not done yet is to race my cobra against my SRT-4. At this point, I thing my SRT-4 will walk away from the cobra. The SRT-4 weight 2950 w/ a full tank.

The moral of the story is... what to do with my Cobra. I don't need to sell it. The insurance is $700 per year. It is paid for. Should I keep it?

I am thinking about getting a whipple and going for 600+ RWHP. Just how much fun is 650 crank hp? Without traction what is the point.

Any suggestions?

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
Let me get this straight, you went from a Terminator to adding a skittle and now you want to get rid of the cobra?!?!?!.....what color is your cobra? is it a coupe? pm me what your asking price would be, my dad is still looking for one and i promise it wouldn't get replaced with a skittle at our house.....

Jay G

Established Member
Different strokes different folks,there is no way I could get into those cars they look like little bugs from the front and I hate bugs. If your bored with your termy then I suggest driving it alot more and modding it with a twin turbo setup, then go and destroy every srt you can find.

tfoster405

Established Member
My cobra is red-fire and coupe.

I know, I know..., I have always vowed I would never own a front-wheel drive FOUR Cylinder...

But I have to tell YOU ALL. The little car is incredible. My buddy who drive a 12.50 stock engine Mach 1 just loves the car... The acceleration is incredible for what the car is....

I am not selling or getting rid of my cobra at this point. I just think I need to increase the HP to get my excitement up a little.

I have been out of the loop lately on mods for a cobra. I have a 4 lb lower pulley but not installed it yet. What size upper pulley should I get to make good reliable HP with just a double pulley sway and a good tune? 475 rwhp????

tfoster405

Established Member
Oh I forgot to mention, I don't want to do any fuel mods like injectors or KB boost a pump...So what is the most whp from stock fuel system and stock MAF sensor.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
Every car is different...but most run out of air meter around 490-500rwhp. A BAP is usually needed at 500+rwhp and shortly after injectors and pumps are needed. Just have to datalogg the car and check the loads.

SEARCH....there is plenty of info out there if you just look.

TRBO VNM

so you are using a g-tech to determine what you think your hp is?

I am sure it is a fun car, just like the STI or EVO. hell, I had a SVT Focus in between mustangs because of a bad accident(I needed to slow down for a little while).

I would say the GT500 and terminator guys didn't know how to drive. I smoked plenty of modded srt-4's, evo's and STI's making more power than the one you saw on streetfire. and I had less than 500rwhp.

Ocho Cinco
Established Member
LTHL VNM said:
Let me get this straight, you went from a Terminator to adding a skittle and now you want to get rid of the cobra?!?!?!.....what color is your cobra? is it a coupe? pm me what your asking price would be, my dad is still looking for one and i promise it wouldn't get replaced with a skittle at our house.....
:lol:

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
I think SRT-4's "feel" A LOT faster than what they actually are. One of my close friends just traded in his 04' Stage 1 SRT-4 for an 05' GT. I've driven it, and I'll admit they are fun to drive. BUT, they just feel faster than what they are. We were actually discussing this with a salesman who also had an SRT-4 at the dealership he got his 05' GT from.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
tfoster405 said:
Hey all...I have been a long time ford guy with a 15 year history of 5.0L's and one terminator.

I have had my '03 cobra 29 months. I bought it with 1500 miles on it. It now has 3200. I don't really drive it much. I have only put on a Borla cat-back, K&N CAI, and BBK 65mm twin T-body. The car is perfect. Never a day or night outside. Still smells new inside.

Car has dynoed at around 410 rwhp with stock tune. Never taken it to the track.

Anyway, I have grown a little bored over the last year with it.

I always felt like I did not want to drive it to work (25 miles each way) because I did not want to put miles on it or get a rock chip.

One night I was looking at streetfire.net and saw this video of this orange SRT-4 (R.J-Lo) racing a 519 RWHP GT500 and a 500+ RWHP Terminator.

This little SRT-4 kicked the GT500 ass... bad... and barely walked the terminator. All from a role. SRT-4's on radials are not good from a hole.

I checked into the mods for the SRT-4 and saw that he did have an aftermarket turbo and he was making around 420+ FWHP.

Anyway, two weeks later I was driving home from NC to MD in my new SRT-4 ('05 w/ 7k miles). Car was 100% stock. Car made 238 hp on my g-tech and ran a 13.8 on my g-tech also.

It has been six weeks and so far with just simple bolt-ons (CAI, Waste Gate Actuator, cat-back, and big air to air intercooler) I am registering over 300 HP on my g-tech spinning all the way through 2nd gear. I got the boost set at 18 psi and it drops to 15 psi at red-line. The car get 30+ mpg on the highway and I am averaging 27 mgh w/ mixture back and forth to work. I have made NO fuel mods... Stock fuel system is good for 350 crank HP.

One thing I have not done yet is to race my cobra against my SRT-4. At this point, I thing my SRT-4 will walk away from the cobra. The SRT-4 weight 2950 w/ a full tank.

The moral of the story is... what to do with my Cobra. I don't need to sell it. The insurance is $700 per year. It is paid for. Should I keep it?

I am thinking about getting a whipple and going for 600+ RWHP. Just how much fun is 650 crank hp? Without traction what is the point.

Any suggestions?

There is no way in hell this would happen. Even if you gave your SRT a headstart. You would walk away from me in my GT, but not your Cobra.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Im sorry but this is dumb, yes that video on street fire that srt did win. He had a olt of work done.

SRT 4's can only do shit from rolls.

I dont understand why you wouldnt want to do any fuel upgrades, even you doing a pully swap and you would love it. Fuel mods will only have to be done with a kb or turbo.

O and if you want to watch a video of a stage 3 srt 4, and a stage 2 srt 4 being beat buy a mach 1 with dr, mid pipe and cat back let me know. I have proof.

The mach smoked them from dig and the roll was dead even.

Romans8:28

Established Member
I owned an SRT4 for a year before buying my Cobra and I am VERY familiar with them.

They do not make 300 FWHP without a larger turbo or run insane boost levels on a stock PCM or fuel system........

I don't see how your car can be making this amount of power on the stock turbo/pcm

Last edited:

95YellowGTBeast

LS7killr
Established Member
i walked away from a neon with the mods you have on yours with just an intake on my 03....they may feel fast but theres a difference between feeling and being...

tfoster405

Established Member
Romans... we will see soon. I am taking my SRT-4 to get it dynoed.

As for G-techs... they have been pretty accurate for me. My bone stock cobra made 360 to 370 bonestock... exactly what they make on dynojets.

I have tested two bone stock mach 1's, both made 265 to 270 on my gtech... which is exactly what they make on dynojets...

Just last Friday, I tested a bone stock '06 STI, it made 269 whp, which is exactly what they make stock on the rollers.

As for gtech's, if you have the weight correct, and are on flat level ground, and you have the thing leveled out, it seems to be pretty accurate in 2nd gear where the wind drag is only about 5 to 10 hp.

Romans, the guys over on the SRT forum with stock turbos are getting upwards of 325 to 340 whp with maxxed out cars, just like I have with 20 psi boost and a tune (leaning it a little)

fak3r

Bow to your sensei!!
Established Member
I owned a red SRT-4 before i got the Cobra (4 months ago). There is no comparison between the two. best decision ive made in my life was getting the 'stang.
Your car is not making 300 hp with the mods you listed (AGP, CAI, FMIC). PROBABLY 250-260. If you want to race cobras and win, you'll have to do a fuel mod and a good tune before you can beat a STOCK one.
rj-lo had at least $7-$9k in mods. i am not flaming, just speaking from experience. it will take a lot of mods before you can start putting down as much hp as he. that is why he is so famous on the srt forums. there just arent that many srt's that can put down that much hp and be a RELIABLE daily driver.
srt-4 is a good commuter car, you wont have to care about chips, dents since it's a cheaper/less desirable but as far as respect/hp/looks go... its just not there brotha.
good luck with whatever you choose to do

fak3r

Bow to your sensei!!
Established Member
double post. they should really introduce a delete message button

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread