I know the economy is bad but...

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
This is pathetic.

Theft of car anti-pollution device up across U.S.
Marty Boyer's carefully maintained sport utility vehicle growled more like a dragster than a 2001 Honda Passport when he turned the key. "The second I turned it over, and it sounded like a tank and a Harley, I knew exactly what had occurred," said Boyer, 33, Associated Press reports. A half-dozen office colleagues had told him about that roar after their own catalytic converters were stolen, a crime that has been rising rapidly across the country from riverside parking lots in Cincinnati to highways along the California coast. The pollution-reducing converters contain small amounts of the precious metals platinum and palladium, and they've joined copper wire and sewer grates on the long list of metal items targeted by thieves eager to cash in on climbing metal commodity prices.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
This has really been getting out of control. Happened to a neighbor of mine. Thanks god for my garage......

red9450

Established Member
I dont think they could ever get under my car to cut them off....lol (checks under car to see if they are still there)

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
a friend of mine that owns a car lot had about half of the catalyitc converters cut off the cars on his lot.

they cought the guy in the act , it was a guy that worked at the bodyshop next door.

Slo3kgtVtr

Established Member
I run a shop. A month ago, we started up a truck to pull the transmission and heard the cutout noise. We checked the rest of the vehicles....every 4x4 in the yard (5 of them) had the cat(s) taken out of them. We didn't claim it on insurance, so it cost us about $1800 plus or labor. 1 of them had an o2 sensor in it also, so we had to purchase an oem sensor to make the customer happy. The kicker is we have a lighted lot in a commercial area. Pretty sad really.

02wingless

ASE Master L1
Established Member
At the local Honda dealer someone got all of the cats off the ridgelines due to the good ground clearance and I hear import converters are bringing a little more money than the others.

Qwk GT

Established Member
WTF, stealing cats now. Mine is in the garage, but our other cars are all outside. Would definately piss me off.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
People have been stealing metals for a while now, they just realized how valuable catalytic converters were.

You should see how much wiring and other metals get stolen from construction sites. We would wire up a house and the next day it would all be torn out thieves looking for Copper. I new guys who did demo jobs and they said from the stuff they got from the job they could make an extra 2-3k.

Users who are viewing this thread