I inherited a 1968 sportster xlch

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Generally an Ironhead Sportster is worth more in Sentimental Value than it is every worth in Resale Value. You can easily spend $10,000 repairing, upgrading, and maintaining. They seldom bring more than $4,000 when you sell them. 2,000 to 3,000 is most likely for a running Iron Head. But they are a labor of love... I really like spending time tinkering, taking it for a short ride with a screwdriver in my pocket so I can tweek the carb, etc.

This.

IMHO, two options.

1. Sell it for 2000

2. Chop it up and make it a cool ass bobber.

11sec Guy

Established Member
So i come to find out this bike hasn't been started since 1985, i cleaned the gas tank out, new plugs and oil. I didnt touch the carbs or the points. A few sprays of starting fluid and she started right up, ran great. I rode it around the block. I thought that it was pretty awesome that this thing started so easy after sitting for 30 years.

[video=youtube;ugh_jfm8TxM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugh_jfm8TxM[/video]

EB85

Established Member
That is a sweet little ride. I expected something rat-tastic but it looks super clean. I say ride it until you get bored then maybe make a little retro chopper/bobber out of it. Z-bars, anyone?

03'Darin

Established Member
Man that thing looks like it's in great shape! Congratulations!!

I have a 66' Electra Glide that used to belong to my granparents. Rides great but no power, it's heavy and the brakes suck. Funny thing is my grandparents did lots of riding with that bike two up and TOWING A LOADED TRAILER. So by todays standards the power and braking are terrible but for their day people did just fine with them.

With value on your bike not being that good you shouldn't feel bad customizing that thing the way you want. Honestly 3 - 4k is pretty sad for how nice of a bike that looks and how original it appears.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and spend the money for tires on that thing. Even if those tires looked brand new they're old and the rubber has probably become even more hard and brittle than they were new. A bike isn't like a car, blow a tire and you just pull over to the side of the road. You blow a tire on a bike and bad things happen quickly.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
Wow - that bike looks awesome! Congrats on starting right up too. Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread