I inherited a 1968 sportster xlch

11sec Guy

Established Member
So my uncle gave me this 1968 xlch sportster, its been sitting for a few years but has great compression, all i gotta do is change the oil and gas and she should be go to go. They sure dont make them like this anymore. My uncle has owned this bike since 1969. Just wondering what you guys think the ballpark value is on this ? gggg.jpgagdf.jpgtank.jpg

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
If that is all original, major props to your uncle!!! Congrats and it looks like it'll be a fun bike!

Iman01

Established Member
Generally an Ironhead Sportster is worth more in Sentimental Value than it is every worth in Resale Value. You can easily spend $10,000 repairing, upgrading, and maintaining. They seldom bring more than $4,000 when you sell them. 2,000 to 3,000 is most likely for a running Iron Head. But they are a labor of love... I really like spending time tinkering, taking it for a short ride with a screwdriver in my pocket so I can tweek the carb, etc.

11sec Guy

Established Member
Yeah i am thinking the peanut tank and a solo seat, but i am not sure how roadworthy this thing is with the old tires and drum brakes not to mention the right side shift

Iman01

Established Member
I would say it is as roadworthy as most anything else made in that era.

It is not going to be the fastest thing on the road, so drum brakes are adequate. If your tires are dry\cracking replace them, otherwise ride until the tread is gone. Right shift is really only a problem if you have another bike that is left side shift... you will try to hit the brakes and instinctively/accidentally down shift.. on either bike.

tnuce10

Established Member
Smaller tank, solo seat, and get rid of those saddle bags...you'll have yourself a sharp little cruiser.

Looks to be in awesome shape for its age

railroad

Established Member
Real bikers might give you better advise, but I would avoid ethanol gasoline and might consider a lead substitute or additive. I recently acquired a one owner 1969 BSA. The carb had just enough gum to prevent it from cranking and starting right off. I bought a can of leaded 98 octane VP racing fuel. That stuff is so far ahead of pump gas, it is unreal. I put it in my 1985 Honda and it cranks so quick, it impresses me every time I crank it.
Did not mean to get off subject. Great looking bike, you lucky rascal. Please do not run ethanol gasoline in it.

11sec Guy

Established Member
Real bikers might give you better advise, but I would avoid ethanol gasoline and might consider a lead substitute or additive. I recently acquired a one owner 1969 BSA. The carb had just enough gum to prevent it from cranking and starting right off. I bought a can of leaded 98 octane VP racing fuel. That stuff is so far ahead of pump gas, it is unreal. I put it in my 1985 Honda and it cranks so quick, it impresses me every time I crank it.
Did not mean to get off subject. Great looking bike, you lucky rascal. Please do not run ethanol gasoline in it.

So would i always have to run leaded gas or just for the first start ? This thing prolly hasnt ran in 15 years, but he said it ran perfect when he stored it. It has gas in the tank so ti didnt rust, but i plan on putting the other tank on with fresh gas.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd immediately switch out tires.

Even if they don't looked weather cracked on the outside, tires actually will start deteriorating from the inside out.

For a few hundred bucks I'd rather know my tires aren't going to blow out on a spirited ride.

railroad

Established Member
If you live near a marina, or race track, they usually have non ethanol gasoline. That is part of the cure. The lead in the pre unleaded gasolines lubricated the valve and valve seats. Without it the valves will beat out the seats in the heads or blocks. Automobiles did not start putting stainless and hardened seats in until the mid to late 70s. Bikes may have started sooner. Maybe a Harley Head can confirm.
There are some good lead substitutes that can be used as an additive. Real leaded gasoline had a cumulative affect and would provide protection for some unleaded use. How long is just a guess. The octane of the gasoline in the late 60s would be something like 98 or 100 octane or higher. Your bike's compression and tune is for high octane leaded non ethanol.
Possible solutions would be to buy a can of VP or Sunoco leaded race gas, 100 octane, non ethanol, non oxygentated. I am sure you can afford this, but it can cause some inconvenience. Any gasoline I buy to be used in my vintage engines gets a dose of Stabil Marine gas treatment. It will keep the gasoline from going bad longer, prevent any ethanol from separating from the gasoline and reduce the hygroscopic affects of ethanol,( pulling water from the air into the gasoline).
The solution to get the most miles on a ride without carrying a gas jug, would be to fill up with 110 leaded race fuel, add Stabil, run down to half a tank and fill up with non ethanol if possible. If not buy Sunoco premium 93 octane and top the tank off. That should be the return trip.
With all that said, the bike will probably run on straight 93 ethanol pump gas, but you are not helping the engine and definitely add Marine Stabil to it. I will be glad to elaborate on any of this advise. I still envy you having such a super ride. Take those bags off, wax it up, New tires of course and enjoy. It is a head turner.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
the value is don't sell it lol
clean bike, just picked up an Iron 883 myself :)
couldn't pass up the deal on it, i should have it on sat.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Get new tires on it. Those old tires have a fraction of the grip of new. Your life is worth it.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Asked a good friend about it that was a Harley PHD certified mechanic for prob 20-25 years. He said its prob a $3500-4000 bike to the right person in that shape. He said it looks pretty much bone stock. Fender is stock, pipes are stock, breather is stock. Tank is stock. He said bags are period correct but not to that bike. He said the FLCH is the nicer one if he was remembering correctly as it also had electric start (he couldnt recall) but laughed when he saw it as they used to call those guys with those "sportster limp" for kicking it over lol.

Great looking bike man! great color also. He also echoed your thoughts on the breaks saying its a tad sketchy at times when most people are accustomed to more modern breaks.

11sec Guy

Established Member
Thanks guys for the info on this old girl, i am gonna try to get her started this weekend. I have some 100 octane turbo blue gas i am gonna use with some new oil. I guess i can skip leg day sunday at the gym if i am gonna be tryin to get this thing started, can be a SOB to start from what i hear.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Thanks guys for the info on this old girl, i am gonna try to get her started this weekend. I have some 100 octane turbo blue gas i am gonna use with some new oil. I guess i can skip leg day sunday at the gym if i am gonna be tryin to get this thing started, can be a SOB to start from what i hear.

buddy thats a tech says it isnt to bad as its low compression but they are notorious for "hollowing" out the hole in the case and the gear on the kick start and the gear on the trans come out of contact and make you pretty much slam your leg with no resistance lol.

Users who are viewing this thread