I have the 80-100mph vibe and cant fix it. Where should i go in MI?

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Alright, 2 years ago I replaced all the bushings in the IRS, put 4.10's in it, aluminum DS, 03 halfshafts, and now have a vibe. I've done everything I can possibly think of without much affect. I adjusted my pinion angle, rotated my DS, swapped my DS, etc. I am just getting fed up with it. Where should I take my car to get the vibe fixed and a dyno tune. I am located in southeast Michigan. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been living with this stupid vibe for over 2 years!!!!

racebronco2

Established Member
When i had 4.10's i had a terrible vibe/rumble. I tried everything including balancing the driveshaft which helped a little. I went back to 3.55's and the vibe/rumble went away.

AlwaysBoosted

What's a SVT?
Established Member
Alright, 2 years ago I replaced all the bushings in the IRS, put 4.10's in it, aluminum DS, 03 halfshafts, and now have a vibe. I've done everything I can possibly think of without much affect. I adjusted my pinion angle, rotated my DS, swapped my DS, etc. I am just getting fed up with it. Where should I take my car to get the vibe fixed and a dyno tune. I am located in southeast Michigan. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been living with this stupid vibe for over 2 years!!!!

Are you sure it's a driveline vibe? Does your mirror shake or you feel it through the trans? Or is it more through the steering wheel area?

TVSCobra

Established Member
I had the same issue with 410s and I have setup many 8.8 solid axles and IRS 8.8s.
Went to 327s, no vib to 170
:)

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Are you sure it's a driveline vibe? Does your mirror shake or you feel it through the trans? Or is it more through the steering wheel area?

Yeah, Its a driveline vibe. First you can here a woowoo noise, then the rear mirror starts shaking pretty badly.

Dang it! I dont want to go back to 3.55s....but i may have to...

Nobody knows of any shops?!?! Will a shop even fix a vibe?!?!?!?

08mojo

Established Member
Did you remove the weight from the differential when you went to 4.10s? Have you tried a high-speed balance with the wheels and tires mounted?

Vibration Correction with Hi-Speed On-the-Car Wheel Balancing - Butler Tire in Atlanta, GA

Most likely it is an issue with your rear-end (differential) based on the description. I would guess the 4.10 install was done incorrectly: wrong pinion depth, bad lash, wrong bearing preload, bad bearing, etc...

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Yep, I removed the weight when I put the 4.10's in. I have not tried a high speed balance. I wouldnt mind trying it, but i think you may be correct. Not sure if the rear end was done incorrectly...I would think it would whine more or something. It just seems to vibrate and it DEFINITELY got better after i messed around with the pinion angle.

08mojo

Established Member
Yep, I removed the weight when I put the 4.10's in. I have not tried a high speed balance. I wouldnt mind trying it, but i think you may be correct. Not sure if the rear end was done incorrectly...I would think it would whine more or something. It just seems to vibrate and it DEFINITELY got better after i messed around with the pinion angle.

Try putting the weight back on--it is there for vibration issues. I would not expect it to solve your issue, but it is the easiest and cheapest option at this point. The next step is to check your bearings for play: grab the driveshaft near the pinion and check for play, same for output shafts (half-shafts), wheel bearings and half-shafts themselves.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
I was told the weight doesnt help due to the aluminum diff bushings....

Already swapped driveshafts with no help. Also the halfshafts are still really new (put them in at the same time that I did the gears).

08mojo

Established Member
Do i put a dial indicator on it to check it?

Yes, to do it correctly. Or you can just grab the drive shaft near the diff and feel for slop. Check every direction; left, right, up, down, in, out; then rotate the drive shaft 90 degrees and repeat until you made a complete loop.

If no slop, then you need to continue looking for the source of your vibration at other parts of the rear end.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Alright, I'll check the pinion for play.

Should I try tossing the poly diff bushings in it (just the fronts)?

9935todd

Established Member
On a different note....I recently had a vibration like yours. I put the car on a lift and checked all the wheels. Ended up being a right rear wheel bearing. Not much play in it but horrible vibration. Just an idea to check. Good luck, Todd

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
On a different note....I recently had a vibration like yours. I put the car on a lift and checked all the wheels. Ended up being a right rear wheel bearing. Not much play in it but horrible vibration. Just an idea to check. Good luck, Todd

How do you check for that?

dogg502

Established Member
alternative auto in chesterfield is a great tuner but not sure if he would be into finding ur vibe issue. I hear good things about pauls high performance in jackson.

9935todd

Established Member
Just get the wheel off the ground and grab it at the top and bottom. Try "rocking" the wheel top to bottom...kinda like you would checking for a bad tie rod. It should not have any vertical movement. If it does....bad bearing. Todd

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
I'm thinking the vibe is mostly due to pinion angle. Might want to check w/ full tilt boogie and see about adjusting the angle.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
I'm thinking the vibe is mostly due to pinion angle. Might want to check w/ full tilt boogie and see about adjusting the angle.

I am 1 degree off...and am trying to figure out if everyone else in the world got it perfect or not...

Users who are viewing this thread