I have begun my Coyote Swap, PICS, Saleen SN95!!

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
Well, i had purchased my 97 Saleen with no motor in 2013, put a 01 crown vic PI 2v in it, and had a great summer with the car with a track day at Lime Rock, and the fiasco of events at Mustang Week 2k13. I sold the car last August and always missed the car, especially due to its Rarity and my love for SN95s. So i bought it back about 1 month ago, and realized the PI 2v just wasnt enough, especially after driving my 2011 Gt500, it was time for more power.

The car is NOT a cobra but it is a TRUE 1997 Saleen, 1 of 14 in Moonlight Blue, and #34 of #357(i think) made that year. I Ordered the BBK Swap Headers and the Moroso Swap Oil pan off of American Muscle to help light a fire under me to buy the engine. I sold my 2v this weekend and went Sunday and picked up a 2013 Ford F150 engine with 20k miles on it that looks brand new.

Today i ordered the front accessory drive kit to adapt my factory hydroboost and a/c to avoid going to manual brakes/steering. Here are some pics of what was done thus far.

Feel free to chime in with questions or advice. Going to use Stock K-Member as i am not a tubular fan.

c11a008859af5f6e18b3d4091bffbe26.jpg

94a9cf08123b53d736fbc11b14334790.jpg

20140504_165531.jpg

20140504_164800.jpg

20140504_131012.jpg

20140505_133528.jpg

tight fit, had to give the header some motivation, may re bend or cut and re weld oil pan but ehhh
20140505_133728.jpg

20140505_133609.jpg

Going to use a upgraded 11" clutch disc and bolt the t45 up to it for now until it grenades. I will worry about a trans later and will just slow shift and use self control.

Mini collection of my Sn95s
20140428_181751.gif

Last edited:

redrocket16

Established Member
Gonna be one hell of a build! The color is an awesome color as well. I gotta ask though, what is this self control you speak of? Each time I drive I can't seem to contain myself :D

CobraHuck

Established Member
Awesome! Interested to see some of the parts you use, most of the swaps I've seen are wayyy involved/PITA stuff and don't reuse much from the old car. My dream is to do a Coyote swap on the cheap and keep my a/c and hydroboost stuff and the T45 or a 3650 to start with, but haven't looked into enough to know if that's really doable

RIO RED SNAKE

Established Member
Gonna be one hell of a build! The color is an awesome color as well. I gotta ask though, what is this self control you speak of? Each time I drive I can't seem to contain myself :D

Haha, you know, when you go to hammer on it but think twice, and then decide to do it anyways lol, but thanks love the color my self. So hard to hold back these days.

RIO RED SNAKE

Established Member
Awesome! Interested to see some of the parts you use, most of the swaps I've seen are wayyy involved/PITA stuff and don't reuse much from the old car. My dream is to do a Coyote swap on the cheap and keep my a/c and hydroboost stuff and the T45 or a 3650 to start with, but haven't looked into enough to know if that's really doable

I agree, I am not a big custom fab guy nor do I have the patience, this swap I am doing is going to try and be the most bolt in and straight forward swap, I did a Navigator 5.4L DOHC V8 into my old 97 cobra but this is on par or easier currently. I am going to use a t45 for now and see if I go built t45 or 3650 or spring for a t56. I can't wait to rev this motor out.

RIO RED SNAKE

Established Member
50 resto ended up using a stock K member as the tubular one they intended to use did not work. Plus id rather have stock K as it feels more solid than little pipes under there.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
lol at Ray hanging out the window at MW. Can't wait to see the end product.

RIO RED SNAKE

Established Member
cool build. what I would hope to do someday. you changing the stock k member?

Yea i think it will be worth it and hopefully the parts swap cost go down a little bit but still a deal for now, the motor was cheap enough, and NO STOCK K member, i do not want to buy a aftermarket k nor listen to it bang around while i drive down the highway.

Awesome project! Can't wait to see it progress!

Thanks! me either, dying to fire this up.

lol at Ray hanging out the window at MW. Can't wait to see the end product.

Hahah right, as tradition, hes been hanging out the window since 2011! and thanks me too, i plan to drive it to Mustang Week and do all events with it this year so ill prob see u then.

Going to be awesome christian. hopefully i get to see and appearence at the pike this summer!

Yea for sure dude, ill have it out hopefully done by the end of next month latest. I want to get it running by next week or so and then slowly work out the bugs.

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
You wil make me regret passing up a local 45k mile '12 GT engine if this goes together smoothly. From what I read it was just going to cost too much, even tho the engine I found was a decent price.

RIO RED SNAKE

Established Member
well ill be honest, i squawked at the price of a Mustang GT engine and the crate motors, so i went looking for the Ford F-150 engines. They were 2k to 2800 depending on year and miles, and i got a nice 2013 engine with 20k on it for $2350. I should have just under $5k in the swap depending on if i swing for a t56 or a built t45 or 3650.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Not trying to sway your opinion on the k-member issue, but if you spend money and buy the right one they're not clunky and they're not weak.

Looks like a really cool build! Definitely in for updates on this one!

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
What happen to the skirts and door molding, cool project! Moonlight blue is great color there is a unofficial registry at soec.org for saleens. I am converting mine into a replica.

brucesvt

Established Member
well ill be honest, i squawked at the price of a Mustang GT engine and the crate motors, so i went looking for the Ford F-150 engines. They were 2k to 2800 depending on year and miles, and i got a nice 2013 engine with 20k on it for $2350. I should have just under $5k in the swap depending on if i swing for a t56 or a built t45 or 3650.

Very cool, cant beat it for the price. I believe you should be able to stay under $5k even if you decide to upgrade the trans. Because the with the sale of the 2v that should off set the price of the transmission a little. Good luck with the swap, when you get bored with it send it my way lol

RIO RED SNAKE

Established Member
Not trying to sway your opinion on the k-member issue, but if you spend money and buy the right one they're not clunky and they're not weak.

Looks like a really cool build! Definitely in for updates on this one!

I do not disagree, I like OEM things, but if push comes to shove ill pony up for the MM k member. Thanks for the input on the k. I have only used qa1 and upr and wasn't thrilled.

What happen to the skirts and door molding, cool project! Moonlight blue is great color there is a unofficial registry at soec.org for saleens. I am converting mine into a replica.

Thanks, good to know, sell me your hood before you do that lol! But the skirts and mouldings are in my basement, big fear of them falling off and the car is too low for the lift with the skirts on but I have em.

Very cool, cant beat it for the price. I believe you should be able to stay under $5k even if you decide to upgrade the trans. Because the with the sale of the 2v that should off set the price of the transmission a little. Good luck with the swap, when you get bored with it send it my way lol

Unfortunately it didn't set it off enough, but if I sell my stock t45 and a few other things it definitely will help offset it. I, probably going to upgrade the trans ASAP.

Awesome conversion project!

Thanks Nate, I recently purchased a BAB that really needs some cosmetic attention, I have been taking plenty of pics and will make a thread soon, I don't understand why people mess with and neglect the hell out of these, will be my 2nd babes I save. But thanks for the kind words.

Users who are viewing this thread