I have a question about tuning my 03 cobra. Need advice

03dsgdreams

Established Member
I bought another member on the sites 2003 cobra and my question is should I get the car retuned being that it was tuned in Texas and I'm shipping it to Michigan? The elevation is much lower there. It's like 18 degrees here in Michigan so once it gets here is it ok to drive it or do I need to have it tuned first?
Any advice? Thanks.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I bought my cobra stock, but if I ever bought one even with the slightest mods, I'd put it on the dyno and verify the tune is good.

POPPAJ

Established Member
Take it to Alternative Auto for a dyno tune and let Lidio perform his magic on it. He's one of the good reasons to be in the Detroit area.

cj428mach

Established Member
If its been modded for any length of time its probably fine. Do you have the same octane in your state as the one its coming from?

People on here are way too tune happy.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
Take it to Alternative Auto for a dyno tune and let Lidio perform his magic on it. He's one of the good reasons to be in the Detroit area.

I had my bolt on 99 cobra tuned by lidio. He's a great guy, if I do need a retune Alternative is definitely were I'm taking it.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
If its been modded for any length of time its probably fine. Do you have the same octane in your state as the one its coming from?

People on here are way too tune happy.

There are a lot of bad tuners out there, and a new mod motor isn't cheap. you never really know the real reason some people sell there cars, and sometimes it can be because of an injured motor and they want to dump the car on the next person. I'm sure many people have witnessed this at some point in time. It doesn't hurt to spend a few hundred bucks for a peace of mind in my opinion.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Tune it and get it checked, its just the right thing to do whenever buying one of these cars. As stated, a $400.00 tune is better than the headaches and funding of a new motor.

Congrats on the new purchase

cj428mach

Established Member
There are a lot of bad tuners out there, and a new mod motor isn't cheap. you never really know the real reason some people sell there cars, and sometimes it can be because of an injured motor and they want to dump the car on the next person. I'm sure many people have witnessed this at some point in time. It doesn't hurt to spend a few hundred bucks for a peace of mind in my opinion.

My old SB car was modded when it had approx 2,000 miles on it. I bought it at 77k, should I have sprung for $400+ dyno tune? No that would be foolish as the car was obviously safe. If the car was tuned for any length of time its probably good

If it was me I'd put a wideband on it and check it. In my opinion you should always have a wideband on these cars. If the AFR is at something you feel safe then drive the thing and enjoy it. JMHO

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
My old SB car was modded when it had approx 2,000 miles on it. I bought it at 77k, should I have sprung for $400+ dyno tune? No that would be foolish as the car was obviously safe. If the car was tuned for any length of time its probably good

If it was me I'd put a wideband on it and check it. In my opinion you should always have a wideband on these cars. If the AFR is at something you feel safe then drive the thing and enjoy it. JMHO

I do agree with having a wideband on these cars. But some people like the power just to say they have it, then rarely go wot with it. Any boosted car can last 20-30k miles if they rarely ever go into boost. I've had my car for over 4 years and have yet to race anyone on the highway! I'm actually surprised with how picky you are with your car, yet you wouldn't spend the extra 400 bucks to verify everything is good on the rollers.

I guess what I'm saying is people have to much faith in what the previous owner states about the car. How did you know for sure your old SB was modded at 2k miles? Was it a stranger or a friend that you bought it from? I don't trust anyone that I'm buying a car from, unless I personally know them.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
I do agree with having a wideband on these cars. But some people like the power just to say they have it, then rarely go wot with it. Any boosted car can last 20-30k miles if they rarely ever go into boost. I've had my car for over 4 years and have yet to race anyone on the highway! I'm actually surprised with how picky you are with your car, yet you wouldn't spend the extra 400 bucks to verify everything is good on the rollers.

I guess what I'm saying is people have to much faith in what the previous owner states about the car. How did you know for sure your old SB was modded at 2k miles? Was it a stranger or a friend that you bought it from? I don't trust anyone that I'm buying a car from, unless I personally know them.

I purchased it from a member here that purchased the car in 2003. The guy was completely honest and up front about everything on the car so I believed him.

Its really not much different than being forced to believe your tuner and trust what they say is right. How much do you know about your tune? You're just having some guy telling you to believe him and hoping that its right.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread