I hate Appts!

STG

Banned
oh I know not everyone takes care of their dogs or homes like they should. but we are very responsible when it comes to our dog. she is always leashed when out, always pick up after her, house broken, doesnt chew anything but her bone, doenst bark at every little noise. she is a pretty good dog, stubborn at times but good.

I see the other people around here who never have their dogs on leashes and they do their business all over and never pick up after them.

If you let one responsible tenant have a dog, all the irresponsible tenants soon demand the same. Once, I allowed a renter to keep a parakeet in a cage on her balcony. Within two weeks, six other tenants were asking about four different kinds of pets.

i didn't allow tenants to wash cars in the building I lived in. In order to avoid bad feelings, I washed my car in the afternoon, when all the renters were at work. Even then, I'd hose down the entire parking area so I wouldn't have to explain the "evidence" (soapy water and tire tracks) to tenants asking why I didn't let them wash their cars.

If you're a landlord, you have to treat everybody the same, or you'll wind up in court. When it comes to dogs, the last thing I want is a renter's dog biting or attacking someone on my property. Guess what? At that point, I become Mr.Deep Pockets. No thanks, no pets. By the way, a landlord doesn't know what dog or owner is well behaved until they've been renting for a few months. That's a risk I never took.

Last edited:

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member
ya the list of dogs they have that you can not have is a joke. did you know cocker spanials and poodles are some of the meanest dogs? and that labs bite more people every year then any other dog?

but my dog is not on the list of "can not have" dogs. they are mostly saying its cause she weighs over 25lbs. seriously? there are smaller dogs here that cause far more damage then my dog does. it doesnt matter the size of your dog, its how you train your dog.

The bulldog's are one of the most lay back dogs there is. I was pissed when I saw it on lease. I was just about to get one until I read the lease. :fm:

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
ya my wife has been in the apt business for a couple of years now and I am amazed at the stupid stuff people do or ask. I couldnt do it.

but I hate how I am not being treated the same as I am a responsible pet owner and at least 85% of the others around here are not. and these people are not shy about their pets doing the wrong thing. where as my dog only goes out into our back yard and no one can see her. and again she is always on a leash and always gets picked up after.

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
The bulldog's are one of the most lay back dogs there is. I was pissed when I saw it on lease. I was just about to get one until I read the lease. :fm:

ya bull dog is on the "can not own" list at our place to. stupid if you ask me.

think our list went something like

pitt bull aka staffordshire bull terrier
dobermans
rottweiler
bull dog

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
Get your own house.
Now is the time to buy!

You'll wonder how you ever tolerated living in an apartment.

that was the plan. in fact my lease is up at the end of aug and when they sent the renewal around I chose to do month to month (raises my rent $10 more a month) instead of singing a new year lease so I could start looking for a house. but I just want to be able to stay here until I find the right place and keep my dog until then too. I planned on starting the process in aug.

STG

Banned
that was the plan. in fact my lease is up at the end of aug and when they sent the renewal around I chose to do month to month (raises my rent $10 more a month) instead of singing a new year lease so I could start looking for a house. but I just want to be able to stay here until I find the right place and keep my dog until then too. I planned on starting the process in aug.

When you sing, does your dog howl? I never rented to singing tenants, either.

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
When you sing, does your dog howl? I never rented to singing tenants, either.

lol, no.

a. I cant sing and I know it so I dont try.
b. I did try to see if she would howl and she just gave me this look like "wtf are you doing?":bored:

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
There are two sides to this and IMO she is doing her job. Perhaps she is acting on an existing dog problem in the community, the one you mentioned. Who knows.... However, she could have handled it differently. I would have asked what kind of dog it was and left it there. Then I would go back to the office and check your file for the correct paperwork. This way you would hear about her concerns only if you did not have the correct paperwork.

People abuse this privledge all the time and I just filed eviction paperwork on a resident that thinks she is allowed to have a dog because another resident has one in a Community that does not allow them. Problem for her is the other residents dog is a service animal and no matter the rule in a community you have to allow them.

STG

Banned
i wouldn't own a dog if I didn't have my own fenced-in back yard. Dogs actually prefer to shit on grass than carpet. Seriously. I prefer they shit on your grass over my carpet!

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
ya the list of dogs they have that you can not have is a joke. did you know cocker spanials and poodles are some of the meanest dogs? and that labs bite more people every year then any other dog?

How many poodles and cocker spaniels have mauled/killed people? You can't honestly think a bite from a poodle is equivalent to a bite from a german shepherd. :shrug:

That list is not based of number of bites, but severity of damage caused by the type of dog.

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
There are two sides to this and IMO she is doing her job. Perhaps she is acting on an existing dog problem in the community, the one you mentioned. Who knows.... However, she could have handled it differently. I would have asked what kind of dog it was and left it there. Then I would go back to the office and check your file for the correct paperwork. This way you would hear about her concerns only if you did not have the correct paperwork.

People abuse this privledge all the time and I just filed eviction paperwork on a resident that thinks she is allowed to have a dog because another resident has one in a Community that does not allow them. Problem for her is the other residents dog is a service animal and no matter the rule in a community you have to allow them.

it just eats me up because there are so many other idiots that live here that are constantly double parked, playing loud music, not leashing their dogs, ect and they have the nerve to say something to me cause my dog is over 25 lbs?

we have constantly had to call because of neighbors playing loud music all hours of the night or people double parking in our already to small parking spots. and what happens? nothing. those people continue to do it. we continue to call and nothing continues to happen. it just amazes me how management continues to drive away the good residents but lets the bad ones stay.

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
i wouldn't own a dog if I didn't have my own fenced-in back yard. Dogs actually prefer to shit on grass than carpet. Seriously. I prefer they shit on your grass over my carpet!

lol, well it has always been my goal to get a house, one I have been working for the past couple of years, reducing debt, better paying job, ect. and I had in fact planned on doing it in the coming couple of months. my dog is very good about going to the door and waiting to be let out.

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
How many poodles and cocker spaniels have mauled/killed people? You can't honestly think a bite from a poodle is equivalent to a bite from a german shepherd. :shrug:

That list is not based of number of bites, but severity of damage caused by the type of dog.

well the only reason those other dogs are mauling people is cause not to many thugs are buying poodles.:D

my friend had a cocker and that little shit was mean as hell. in fact the reason he got rid of it was because it bit his 4 year old daughter on the face.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
ya my wife has been in the apt business for a couple of years now and I am amazed at the stupid stuff people do or ask. I couldnt do it.

but I hate how I am not being treated the same as I am a responsible pet owner and at least 85% of the others around here are not. and these people are not shy about their pets doing the wrong thing. where as my dog only goes out into our back yard and no one can see her. and again she is always on a leash and always gets picked up after.

check your lease carefully and see if there is a size limit on the dogs. some places have a 25lb limit and if that is in there you are in violation of your lease regardless of how responsible you are.

start carrying your camera around and when you see people with their dogs off leash or over 25 lbs (if that is in the lease) take pictures of it. then when they give you shit pull out prints of the pics and rub their faces in them.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
well the only reason those other dogs are mauling people is cause not to many thugs are buying poodles.:D

my friend had a cocker and that little shit was mean as hell. in fact the reason he got rid of it was because it bit his 4 year old daughter on the face.

cockers are horrid as pet IMHO. The mean disposition is a result of way too much inbreeding and other irresponsible breeding behavior by breeders that have no clue what they are doing.

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
I just hope I can point out that I am a good tenant and to give me some slack until I can get into a house hopefully in the next coming months.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member

Well, any dog can bite and hurt someone, but that restricted breed list consists of dogs that are more likely to cause greater damage/more of a threat.

Users who are viewing this thread