I guess it was time....

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I'm Cobra-less. I was transferred in my job and the new commute was a bunch longer. I just couldn't see putting that kind of mileage on such a rare car. With prices for our cars the way they are, I figured it was time to sell it and get something else until I decide what to do about my performance jones these cars give you. I'm 54 years old, my mom owned a Ford dealership for over 20 years, and I've never owned anything other than cars from the Big 3...and mostly Fords. But other than the new Mustang, Ford doesn't have anything that really lights my fire right now. So my son talked me into looking at Acuras. So I trundled on down to the Acura dealer and made a deal on a new TL. Now here's where it got interesting. After the deal was done and we were walking out to pick out which color car I wanted (there are only two options...with and without navigation...I bought it with) The guy saw my Cobra sitting in the parking lot and asked me what I was going to do with it. I told him I'd sell it myself...that I could get upwards of 30K for it in some parts of the country. He asked if he could shoot me a price for trading it in...I said sure. He and his manager and a couple other salesmen went out and looked it over. I wouldn't let them drive it. About 10 minutes later they came back with two prices for it...as is and bone stock. They offered $1500 more if it were bone stock. And I was blown away with what they offered. It wasn't 30K...but it was close enough for me considering I wouldn't have to deal with listing and selling it privately. Someone there wanted the car. Anyway, they sent me and my wife home in the new Acura and my Cobra so I could switch everything back to stock. I got up early the next morning and had it done before I went to work.

I was told many years ago by a very wise individual to NEVER fall in love with a car. But damn this was hard. I would love a new Shelby...but I'm not about to pay over sticker for one. And the new Challenger really has my attention for 2008. But for now, the Acura will do until I decide. Besides, has anyone ever seen the resale value of these things???? It is absolutely amazing!!

I guess I'll join CobraBob and sit back and become "defacto" members for a while.

I already miss the car. But it was time. I wouldn't get near the money for the car if I racked up a bunch of miles. (It had 14K on it)

I have a few things I'll be listing in the market. A few bling items that are nice, JLT CAI, MGW, Metco lower, Doug's idlers, gauges, etc.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oh, wow! I'm shocked! But not all that surprised since I was in a similar situation whereby I had to sell mine. Not easy, but life goes on. Nice deal you got! Best of luck with the Acura. And I hope you stick visit us here. I've been without my Cobra for two years now and probably spend more time here now than I did when I had the Cobra. LOL! Great folks here!

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
Wow! Didn't see that coming. Glad to hear you got a good deal and enjoy the Acura! Hope to still see you around!

black10th vert

Established Member
I know what you mean. I'm getting laid off from Ford and I should sell mine but I just can't bring myself to sell it. A buddy at work ,who has one also,and I were talking the other day about them. We've both had alot of cars and have never had one that we felt the same way about. I even sold my 42000 mile 70 455 ram air 4 speed GTO after getting the cobra cause it just didn't feel the same driving it anymore. My cobra only has 6300 miles on it so I'm not to worried about it dropping value so I'm going to try to hold onto it.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
sorry to hear, I have a sister to your car. An 03 Redfire Vert. I love mine and it serves as a third (fun) car. If the MGW you listed is a shifter I'm interested. PM me with price and Handle type.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Not to be negative, but I guess I don't understand some people's reasons for selling a car they really like.

Yes, the Cobra is a rare car, but I bought mine to DRIVE it and ENJOY it. I don't worry about how many miles I put on it.

At least once per week I take it out just to DRIVE it because it's so enjoyable. I don't actually have a destination in mind. I just have various routes with lots of curves and high speed straights. The only thing I accomplish is to burn fuel and to have fun.

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
Best of luck to you, and please, stick around. I've enjoyed your posts and will be with you when you go through those withdrawal pains. Be well.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Thanks for the kind words guys. I plan on sticking around just like Bob!! I have regrets. But I know it was the right thing to do for me at the time. I'm not sure how I'm going to like the Acura...I'll wait and see how it grows on me. It's a nice enough car...but by no means a Cobra in any way, shape, or form. I miss my Cobra....

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Glad to hear you'll be sticking around. :thumbsup: Your input here has been very valuable.

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
you know with the dough you spent on that TL you could have just gotten a brand new beater and kept the cobra and put it in a garage. This is what I did, my xA get 39 mpg (if I'm nice) it moves around ok and has storage space. even with the optional alloy wheels, floor mats and mudflaps it was only 14,200. Sure I will be paying for it for a bit after the cobra is paid for, but I will never sell my terminator period. Not trying to be mean I just don't understand. How much is a TL 35 k??? Does not make sense to me but hey what do I know.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I thought hard about keeping the Cobra and getting another car. But I would have to license and insure the third car (not cheap here)...plus make room for it in the garage. It just didn't make sense.

I have owned some cars in my life that are now VERY valuable. 63 1/2 Galaxie 500 XL with the factory 427 and a 4 speed, 2 R code Mach 1's....three W-30 Olds 442's and a couple more W-31's, a 70 Roadrunner. There's been more. If I'd just kept a couple of those, a guy could damn near retire!! LOL I planned on selling the car eventually to get a Shelby or Challenger anyway...I just moved the time frame up because of my situation at work and prices are still very good.

Last edited:

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
hmm well new job is much further away but I look at it as a way to get to drive my cobra even more then before so in some respect its a bonus ;)

only thing thats hits me hard since then is gas, I have to fill up 3 or more times a week which really starts to add up when you have to run premium at 3 bucks a gallon. ick.

lets see 600rwhp, thats 18mpg, maybe 180 if a good week with no stop and go and 150 a tank if stop and go. a rare good week might get to 220 on a tank but usually not. (oops guess thats closer to 15mpg, 13 gallons per fill roughly and 180 to 200 miles on a tank, joy).

lets say 3 fills a week minimum thats 3 * 13(gallons per fill) = 39 gallons a week at 3 bucks a gallon = 117 dollars a week or 468 bucks a month just in gas. thats a car payment in itself.

glad I dont drive the car very hard would probably get 10mpg or less in that case lol.

so not the bext commuter car but its fun as hell to drive lol.

Users who are viewing this thread