I guess I ripped myself off

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
When we purchased our used Explorer (20 months from in service date) we wanted to get an extended warranty for peace of mind. Got 72 months and 100 k miles. So I got a warranty expiration letter in the mail last week and thought it was just BS trying to sell me more warranty. It has 89k miles and 72 months from purchase is 8/2017. AC goes out ,so I look at the warranty paperwork and it IS expired. All of the dates clearly indicate that they used the in service date as the start date for my extended warrant. The dude did not explain this at the time or there is no way I would have got it. So the minute we signed the papers my 72 month warranty became a 52 month warranty. I think that is BS and its unethical. Its a local Ford dealership here and was the only one that I trusted. What a bunch of crap.
:cuss:

SirShaun

Established Member
They hustled me on the ESP for my 2010 a couple of years ago. I ended up cancelling it and put the funds towards performance parts, once I realized it was a rip off. Took the dealership 3+ months to cut me a check for the remainder.

I'll probably never purchase an ESP again.

LS2GTO

Established Member
ll of the dates clearly indicate that they used the in service date as the start date for my extended warrant. The dude did not explain this at the time or there is no way I would have got it.

I thought this was pretty standard knowledge??

No the guy didn't explain it well, but you could've done more hw on it and I'm sure somewhere in the contract you signed it said this exactly so you would have known.

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
They hustled me on the ESP for my 2010 a couple of years ago. I ended up cancelling it and put the funds towards performance parts, once I realized it was a rip off. Took the dealership 3+ months to cut me a check for the remainder.

I'll probably never purchase an ESP again.

Apparently its a waste of money to get one prior to reaching the limit of the 3/36 factory plan. It would have been nice if they had told me that. I was under the impression that I was getting 72 months from my purchase date.

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
Apparently its a waste of money to get one prior to reaching the limit of the 3/36 factory plan. It would have been nice if they had told me that. I was under the impression that I was getting 72 months from my purchase date.

Yea I'd say that's pretty damn shady. Sue.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
It says it pretty clearly on the paperwork. If you do need an extended plan, ESP is one of the best out there if you have a Ford. A lot of the other ones will insist on used or aftermarket parts or try to lower the amount paid to the repair facility after the repair is complete.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
yep, when I was looking at extending the warranty on my F150 I saw that and said never mind

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member

Its very shady but I signed it. I personally wouldnt let someone throw money away like that without making sure they understood how it worked. Like " Do you understand you will be losing 20 months and $475.00 if you purchase this right now"?

Regulars520

Established Member
I thought this was pretty standard knowledge??

No the guy didn't explain it well, but you could've done more hw on it and I'm sure somewhere in the contract you signed it said this exactly so you would have known.

Really? Come on now, who here buys enough new cars and warranties that the print on the contract is standard knowledge. Most people buy a new car once or twice in a lifetime. When it comes to a warranty you should be given a warranty card and explained the expiration date on it. I myself would also assume my warranty started from the time I purchased it, not from when it came out of the factory doors. IF IT IS A NEW CAR. He paid good money for the warranty, probably never even used it and now gets shafted on the only time he tries to use it. Anybody who takes the side of a dealer on this fine print crap has probably never had to deal with that stuff. I worked for a dealer many many years ago as a service writer and the shady shit I seen was horrific. We used to bribe customers in sales and service for good surveys by offering them free stuff, I.E floor mats, oil changes etc. We had to maintain a certain happy customer survey ratio in order to keep the chrysler 5 star dealer perks.

NastyNate420

Established Member
Thas some BS right there! When I bought my Mach (from vw dealer) they offered me 100k mile 5 years ESP However mine was from the day I bought it. I did have a issue with the TPS wired incorrectly (guesing previous owner had nitrous and wire it wrong. Ford wouldnt cover it. Took bad to the Vdub dealer and they fixed it for free. Wish I had know I could cancel an ESP cuz I would have right then! 3-4 k down the drain I think thats how much it costed .

starnsey

Established Member
Don't blame you. Its really easy to miss that kind of shit when you're buying a car. I didn't realize the previous owner of my wife's CPO 2012 Mustang was "rental company" until I looked at the CarFax like six months later even though I specifically remember staring at the CarFax in the sales guy's office and not even noticing that little detail. I also didn't notice the three foot long gouge along the side of the car until I was detailing it around the same time. Dealership didn't point it out or anything and it sort of blended into the contour of the door so it was easy to miss at a glance (touch-up painted). That was our first car buying experience and it was certainly a learning experience. Happens to everyone.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member

Yes because the consumer doesn't fully understand how something works you should sue. Dumbest shit I've read today hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Purchase an ESC when your warranty is almost expired, there's no need to purchase a warranty when you already have a warranty. THAT is common knowledge....

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
Im not trying to deny that willingly signed it. I would certainly have appreciated some honesty and explanation from the dealership though. This is the place that I was going to purchase any Ford products in the future.

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
This is the only Ford dealer that I trusted in this area. When the Explorer goes Im going to be fresh out of Fords. At one time I was very brand loyal but not so much these days.

LS2GTO

Established Member
Really? Come on now, who here buys enough new cars and warranties that the print on the contract is standard knowledge. Most people buy a new car once or twice in a lifetime.

I wansn't trying to come off as a dick so I apologize if that's how you and the OP took it. And this doesn't necessarily apply to just new cars, this is with any used car you purchase that still has a warranty (which can be extended like in this example). But again, it should have been in the paperwork that you signed. If it wasn't, then yes you have a case that the guy was screwing you. But if it was, it's a simple matter of not knowing what you sign which is really on you. Take this as a learning lesson and next time this won't happen again.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, that's unfortunately standard across the car extended warranty business. Works pretty much the same with computer, appliance, TV extended warranties. The extended warranty replaces the manufacturer warranty. Stores claim it's done that way to simplify the warranty coverage. This is also why if you cancel your car's extended warranty a few months after you buy your car you don't get all your money back. It's adjusted because the extended warranty started the day you bought the car. IMO an extended warranty should be just that. An extension of your original warranty. Meaning it should began the day the original warranty expires.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Well I guess times like these are the reason why big Luxury brands matter. My BMW’s extended warranty kicks in AFTER the original warranty runs out. From my experience, they cover EVERYTHING in the original warranty and I mean everything, except tires. Extended warranty also covers a big list for small parts as well including A/C.

This is why im dropping the Explorer after the lease is over. Im not a big fan of Ford’s ESP, so new Ford cars will only be lease to me.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Yeah, that's unfortunately standard across the car extended warranty business. Works pretty much the same with computer, appliance, TV extended warranties. The extended warranty replaces the manufacturer warranty. Stores claim it's done that way to simplify the warranty coverage. This is also why if you cancel your car's extended warranty a few months after you buy your car you don't get all your money back. It's adjusted because the extended warranty started the day you bought the car. IMO an extended warranty should be just that. An extension of your original warranty. Meaning it should began the day the original warranty expires.
Depends, I believe Best Buy and Walmart dont cover until after the original warranty is over. I had experience with both were they said they were limited on what to do since the MFG warranty was still intact and both had a proper warranty expiration date (original+extended)

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member

I agree completely. Im going to take it in on Thursday for service and see if I can talk to someone about it. Ill be interested to see how they handle it. Honestly ,other than this , I cant say a single bad thing about any of my interactions with this dealership. They have even been extremely nice even in this instance so we will see. Maybe they will surprise me. If so I will be here to give them high praise.

Edit: I am also being very cool about it. No angry customer nonsense. I know I signed it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread