I feel for you guys in California

*TK*

COBRO
Established Member
yahoo_zps1371bc98.jpg
[/URL]

California lawmakers pass expanded semi-automatic weapons ban

By Sharon Bernstein

SACRAMENTO (Reuters) - New sales of semi-automatic rifles with removable magazines would be banned in California under a bill passed by the Democratic-led state legislature on Tuesday, and those who already own such weapons would have to register them.

The measure, which passed the state Assembly 44-31 and is expected to go to Governor Jerry Brown for his signature after amendments are approved in the state Senate, is one of a package of gun control bills passed earlier this year by senators in the wake of the massacre last year at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.

It would classify as an assault weapon as any rifle that accepts a detachable magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition, and would ban its sale or purchase. People who already own such weapons would be required to register them.

"How many more innocent men, women and children have to be slaughtered while going about their daily lives before we do something?" asked Assemblyman Reginald B. Jones-Sawyer, Sr., a Democrat from Los Angeles, speaking in favor of the ban.

He ticked off a gruesome list of recent gun massacres: Sandy Hook, killings at a Sikh Temple in Wisconsin, the Colorado movie theater killings and others.

The road to passage has not been easy for several of the weapons measures introduced this year, despite California's history of strong gun control laws and large legislative majorities for Democrats, who tend to favor them.

New voting laws in the state have made it necessary for many Democrats - particularly in the Assembly - to win over moderates and conservatives, and Republicans were joined by several Democrats in opposing the bill.

"I don't know what the right word is to express how strongly I oppose this bill," said Assemblyman Tim Donnelly, a Republican who represents the Southern California community of Twin Peaks, complaining that it amounted to a direct swipe against the constitutional right to bear arms.

California, which has some of the toughest gun control laws in the nation, already bans rifles with large-capacity fixed magazines, which cannot be removed. This bill would expand that ban to add rifles that accept large-capacity removable magazines.

Other bills in the package passed by the Senate would have tightened additional laws, including banning a type of trigger known as a button.

Faced with reluctance by the more conservative, but still Democratic leaning, state Assembly to take up the package, Assembly Speaker John Perez, himself a gun owner, placed the bills in legislative limbo where they remained for months.

Now, with the end of the session looming on Thursday, Perez late last week released three of the bills, including the one passed on Tuesday. Six Democrats joined Assembly Republicans to vote in the minority against the measure.

Two other bills remain active from the original package, and are expected to be heard later this week.

One would ban possession of any ammunition clip that holds more than 10 rounds, and the other bans people with multiple drug and alcohol convictions and convictions for gang-related crimes from owning a firearm for 10 years.

(Reporting by Sharon Bernstein; Editing by Cynthia Johnston and Ken Wills)

Link:
California lawmakers pass expanded semi-automatic weapons ban

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
CT is almost as bad...you should see the bs that goes on here. Sandy Hook is in the shadows of everything now, it's brought up constantly. On top of it, all these liberal idiots swinging it around as reasoning for their brainless ideas. sigh

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Gun crime offenders will NOT follow gun laws, no matter how many you make. When are they gonna get that. Pretty simple theory, people that break laws don't comply. They are just taking away your right to protect life liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Yep, it's only the Governor's signature away from becoming law. I foresee dark days for my shop soon, and a possible move out of state. This, of course, will be a HUGE financial burden (and risk) to my business, and personal finances.

Thanks, idiots in Sacramento. Guess they forgot about the US Constitution they SWORE to UPHOLD.

:fm:

Mystic03

Established Member
Yep, it's only the Governor's signature away from becoming law. I foresee dark days for my shop soon, and a possible move out of state. This, of course, will be a HUGE financial burden (and risk) to my business, and personal finances.

Thanks, idiots in Sacramento. Guess they forgot about the US Constitution they SWORE to UPHOLD.

that sucks to hear buddie! i hope everything works out for you, as for a possible move AZ aint bad! i need a reliable gun guru! :beer:

DirtyD916

SVT Based God
Established Member
There is more to my life than just my gun hobby so I'm not TOO upset about this. Sucks. But still like where I live..... for now.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member

Good luck Brian--this sucks for everyone.

Notsoslowbowtie

Established Member
MD Sucks A$$ too. Our laws are changing in October and pistols will be really hard to get. Our local Gun Connections and regular gun shops have moved out of state and taken their business elsewhere.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Maryland is as radical leftist as California. Our Democratic Governor is surrounded by people with semi auto weapons that protect him, to Hell with the rest of us.

Come October 1, mandatory training in special classrooms, set up and run by the State, will be required in order to purchase a hand gun and semi auto rifles. The glitch, the State does not have any of these training/permitting centers open and cannot tell you when they will, it's a total scam.

04sneaky_snake

Established Member
Because 10 rounds still couldn't cause a massacre?

10 rounds could be 10 headshots and therefore 10 deaths regardless.

The votes are getting passed because they have to make it "look" like they're fixing something. But in reality its all pointless anyways. As if the law will be followed regardless and as if 10 rounds isn't still massacre-worthy.

And can we mention that it doesn't take a gun to have a massacre. Pretty sure more people die from stabbings every year than being shot.

quad

Established Member
Gun crime offenders will NOT follow gun laws, no matter how many you make. When are they gonna get that. Pretty simple theory, people that break laws don't comply. They are just taking away your right to protect life liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

The politicians pushing for this don't care about that. The goal was never to reduce murders or killings. It is so insignificant compared to automobile deaths that it is a non-issue.

The main goal is disarmament of the general population. The same strategy was followed in other countries (Australia, UK)

Politicians cannot be trusted - they have handlers, agendas, sponsors. They are bought and paid for.

quad

Established Member

As said before they are not idiots. They know why they are doing this and it is not for the reasons stated. They are traitors to the Constitution, not idiots.

"Swore to Uphold" means nothing when you're dealing with whores.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member

Plenty of room here and great gun laws too!

saleen96

Banned
I lol at California - I lived there for 10 years.....it's over there...they are also bankrupt but can't focus on those issues noooo, they have to do this s#$%

Users who are viewing this thread