I don't believe I have a factory monster, but damn!

LETHALITY

Established Member
My 11' 5.0 with stock 18' tires likes to break loose constantly. First gear is a no go. I start of in 2nd gear 95% of the time, and if I mash the pedal at 3k they begin to spin and the same goes for 3rd. This is with TC and Advance Track all on. And this doesn't feel like wheel hop.

It's all in good fun if your messing around and but at times I am genuinely trying to merge into traffic, I end up looking like a maniac! Granted the stock tires suck I know. But I am seriously considering dropping money on new rims with some more meat~ :burnout:

My mods are a Airaid CAI and a Bama Tune, along with a catback.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Got any suggestions for good street tires and sizes? Maybe something staggered?

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
i can roast them fairly easily too as well, but not like described as im on the stock tune. ECU loves to hold back on me. Cannot wait to get a tune. Regardless, I love it to death :cool:

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
How many miles are on your beast? That's impressive. Mine wouldn't spin like that last time I drove it if I remember correctly. It has been since mid-October though. I do remember that I can chirp 4th on the highway though!

Last edited:

Tispho

Established Member
My car is the same way with the shitty 235 tires. Bama Tuned with Airaid. 3.73s. <40ºF Hit it at 3k and it breaks the tires loose in both first and second. Summer time is much better, the tires only break loose in first.

Last edited:

wildaries83

Established Member
To say the least I have this problem. I even have 275 invos on the back :(. I am some what thinking of going to 3.55 depending if t56 mag tranny comes out.

Churchkey

Established Member
New here but been around for awhile & am considering a purchase of a 12 GT.
When choosing a performance vehicle with optional rear gear ratios I always figure the
the final drive ratios for all the gears in the transmission. This gives me an idea of how
easily the car will roll out from a dead stop & if the time in each gear will be long or short before the next shift. As you all know: more gear ratio = less traction for a given tire width
& compound.

Below is a chart I made up for a 12 Stang vs my Vette with ZF 6sp. Notations after the chart.

2011 stang 6sp ratios / 89-96 Vette ZF 6sp ratios

S1st 3.66 / V 1st-2.68
S2nd 2.43 / V 2nd-1.80
S3rd 1.69 / V 3rd-1.29
S4th 1.32 / V 4th-1.0
S5th 1.00 / V 5th-0.75
S6th 0.65 / V 6th-0.50

Rear ratios

S3.31 / V 3.33

S3.55

S3.73

Mustang / Corvette
S/Overall ratios w/3.31 / V Overall ratio w/3.33 & ZF 6sp

S1 = 12.11 /V 1 = 8.92

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S2 = 8.04 /V 2 = 5.99

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S3 = 5.59 /V 3 = 4.30

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

S4 = 4.37 /V 4 = 3.33

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

S5 = 3.31 /V 5 = 2.49

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
S6 = 2.15 /V 6 = 1.67

Notes:
For my Stang 3.31 would be the lowest acceptable ratio as the 1st gear in the 6 speed is really low.
Softer wider tires will probably be needed unless the Brembo package "P" tires will hook.

The Vette: It needs an easy clutch release to roll out. It will spin the tires in 1st with some throttle & clutch dump. Tires are 275-40-18 on 9.5 wide rims.

6th gear is useless below 65mph & is only good on interstate flats. (no hills)
Its not fast -- 250hp & 350 torque = high 13's straight lining.
A 3.73 rear will wake it up & make it more fun to drive.

The site stacked all text to the left, have defined it as best I could.

end.

Last edited:

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
I have the same problem and I'm on 275/19's and mine is an auto. Placing it in drive (TC on) and mashing the throttle smokes them to redline and then shifting to second produces similar results. Yesterday it was a little cold out and I stepped on it on a freeway on ramp and the 2-3 shift pitched her a little sideways at 60! The tune was more responsible for this than the CAI or exhaust, those mods just alert everyone of what i am doing! Love this car!

D.T.R

Established Member
My 11' 5.0 with stock 18' tires likes to break loose constantly. First gear is a no go. I start of in 2nd gear 95% of the time, and if I mash the pedal at 3k they begin to spin and the same goes for 3rd. This is with TC and Advance Track all on. And this doesn't feel like wheel hop.

It's all in good fun if your messing around and but at times I am genuinely trying to merge into traffic, I end up looking like a maniac! Granted the stock tires suck I know. But I am seriously considering dropping money on new rims with some more meat~ :burnout:

My mods are a Airaid CAI and a Bama Tune, along with a catback.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Got any suggestions for good street tires and sizes? Maybe something staggered?

doesn't seem like no freak to me. It seems totally normal. Everyone with your same mods seems to have the same issue(s) with traction.

cbaty08

Established Member
I don't even have mods but with 3.73's and 19"s I can chirp 4th most of the time; and if I have the traction off merging MUST be more controlled...

stang8psi

Established Member
My car is the same way with the shitty 235 tires. Bama Tuned with Airaid. 3.73s. <40ºF Hit it at 3k and it breaks the tires loose in both first and second. Summer time is much better, the tires only break loose in first.

similar mods and I have the same results, Keep on wondering why the hell ford put such a shitty tire on a performance vehicle like this!

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Mine will utterly destroy the tires in the first three gears, and will do it on a second gear roll as well. 3.31 Brembo car with a Pro-Cal tune. I have spun them on a third gear roll, but that is less common. If I had steeper gears, I am sure it would be a different story.

Mike

fake

Established Member
New here but been around for awhile & am considering a purchase of a 12 GT.
When choosing a performance vehicle with optional rear gear ratios I always figure the
the final drive ratios for all the gears in the transmission. This gives me an idea of how
easily the car will roll out from a dead stop & if the time in each gear will be long or short before the next shift. As you all know: more gear ratio = less traction for a given tire width
& compound.

Below is a chart I made up for a 12 Stang vs my Vette with ZF 6sp. Notations after the chart.

2011 stang 6sp ratios / 89-96 Vette ZF 6sp ratios

S1st 3.66 / V 1st-2.68
S2nd 2.43 / V 2nd-1.80
S3rd 1.69 / V 3rd-1.29
S4th 1.32 / V 4th-1.0
S5th 1.00 / V 5th-0.75
S6th 0.65 / V 6th-0.50

Rear ratios

S3.31 / V 3.33

S3.55

S3.73

Mustang / Corvette
S/Overall ratios w/3.31 / V Overall ratio w/3.33 & ZF 6sp

S1 = 12.11 /V 1 = 8.92

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S2 = 8.04 /V 2 = 5.99

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S3 = 5.59 /V 3 = 4.30

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

S4 = 4.37 /V 4 = 3.33

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

S5 = 3.31 /V 5 = 2.49

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
S6 = 2.15 /V 6 = 1.67

Notes:
For my Stang 3.31 would be the lowest acceptable ratio as the 1st gear in the 6 speed is really low.
Softer wider tires will probably be needed unless the Brembo package "P" tires will hook.

The Vette: It needs an easy clutch release to roll out. It will spin the tires in 1st with some throttle & clutch dump. Tires are 275-40-18 on 9.5 wide rims.

6th gear is useless below 65mph & is only good on interstate flats. (no hills)
Its not fast -- 250hp & 350 torque = high 13's straight lining.
A 3.73 rear will wake it up & make it more fun to drive.

The site stacked all text to the left, have defined it as best I could.

end.

Churchkey,
Are you Woody that sells the VBAK for the Warriors?

LETHALITY

Established Member
Well I'm glad to hear it's not just me!

Any tire width or brand you guys recommend to put this power to good use instead of smoke?

chuckstang

Established Member
switch to 331s.

more gear is not needed because we have plenty of power and torque.

short gearing makes up for lack of power.

BryanW

Established Member
I have the same problem and I'm on 275/19's and mine is an auto. Placing it in drive (TC on) and mashing the throttle smokes them to redline and then shifting to second produces similar results. Yesterday it was a little cold out and I stepped on it on a freeway on ramp and the 2-3 shift pitched her a little sideways at 60! The tune was more responsible for this than the CAI or exhaust, those mods just alert everyone of what i am doing! Love this car!

Im in the same boat as you, i can feel the tires hazing all the way thru 2nd gear. Thats 80mph :burnout: rolling on the highway and flooring it at 60 is nice, it will get etchy .. Why would i want to put a blower on it if i cant get traction now?:bash:

Most fun with my clothes on:beer:

NA_Cobra

Established Member
Any V8 with 350+rwtq can break 275 tires at 60. Terminator Cobras were doing that back when they debut in 02. You guys act as if 5.0s are absolute monsters

Users who are viewing this thread