I did something dumb with battery, maybe....

dakotadog

I'm not really a newbie, but new to the GT500. The wife hated me taking up garage space storing my new 08 GT500 over the winter, so I rented a storage space. I read the best thing to do was to take the battery out of the car during a prolonged storage, which I did. Then I got to thinking about it.....Will my doors still open normally, since there is no power to the windows to bring them down a bit automatically before opening the door? I fullly closed the hood, so now I need to get into the car to pop the hood open to put the battery back in. A quandry? Come in through the trunk with a key? Any ideas or insight appreciated.

HKusp

Established Member
The windows don't actually have a track on the '07-'14 Gt500's so opening them with a dead battery won't be an issue. Closing them with a dead battery needs to be done a little delicately.

From another GT500 forum:

Well, to wrap up this thread, I know EXACTLY what happens when you try to open the door with a dead battery.

I picked up my new battery tender, and was going to install it on the weekend. When I opened the door, the window didn't drop, and rubbed on the hard plastic molding on the top edge of the door frame. Not even a faint glow from the interior light. Completely dead battery after 2 months of storage. Obviously the battery wasn't fully charged when I put it away.

Anyway, I was just barely able to close the door with the window fully up. Any less clearance, and I would have had to charge the battery first.

I also just received the owners manual, and there's no mention of what to do in the event of a dead battery, so they obviously don't consider it to be an issue.

Cheers!

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I made myself a list for storage because I normally forget to put the windows - lol.

- Fill up tank and add Royal Purple Max-Clean or equivalent fuel stabilizer.
- Fold mirrors in.
- Remove antenna.
- Remove freezable stuff from inside and in trunk.
- Put Bounce sheets/air freshener in cabin.
- Roll down windows about 2”.
- 8mm socket to remove battery hold down bracket.
- 10mm socket to remove 2 battery terminal connections.
- Thin rope to lift battery.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Will my doors still open normally, since there is no power to the windows to bring them down a bit automatically before opening the door? I fullly closed the hood, so now I need to get into the car to pop the hood open to put the battery back in. A quandry? Come in through the trunk with a key? Any ideas or insight appreciated.
No issue... the window will rub when opening but it won't damage anything... done the same myself on a couple of occasions. I would connect the battery before attempting to close the door with the window fully up though. After re-connecting the battery, you will need to re-synch the window limit switch by completely lowering then raising the windows with the doors closed.

dakotadog

The windows don't actually have a track on the '07-'14 Gt500's so opening them with a dead battery won't be an issue. Closing them with a dead battery needs to be done a little delicately.

From another GT500 forum:

Well, to wrap up this thread, I know EXACTLY what happens when you try to open the door with a dead battery.

I picked up my new battery tender, and was going to install it on the weekend. When I opened the door, the window didn't drop, and rubbed on the hard plastic molding on the top edge of the door frame. Not even a faint glow from the interior light. Completely dead battery after 2 months of storage. Obviously the battery wasn't fully charged when I put it away.

Anyway, I was just barely able to close the door with the window fully up. Any less clearance, and I would have had to charge the battery first.

I also just received the owners manual, and there's no mention of what to do in the event of a dead battery, so they obviously don't consider it to be an issue.

Cheers!

Thanks. I was worrried about damage. This thing is pristine, and I'd hate myself for a week if I messed it up.......

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
More than a week is more likely. LOL.

You've got enough info and recommendations to get through unscathed.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Afraid to admit.
First time ever I let my battery go dead and didn't hook up the tender.

Window had not dropped down on the door open action and I went to shut the door. I about had a brown spot in my pants. I will never forget that sound.

All is good now

Users who are viewing this thread