I can't get no.....traction

99Cobra#2468

Student of the Cobra
Established Member
Been practicing with a G-tech device, and so far, my best 60ft has been a 2.20. I tried launching at 3,000 rpms, and spinning like crazy. Launch from an idle, and wheel hop the car to death.

I had an unmodified IRS. I have not yet sprayed in 1st gear, probably too much for the rear end to handle. Can someone provide some suggestions on how to improve my 60 ft time. Thank you very much for your help.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
For maximum ET and MPH you need to get the car to hook at around 3000 rpm where it starts making power.

My technique is to bring the engine up to about 4 grand (yes even on street tires) and slip the clutch out moderately whil applying throttle. You should notice a slight amount of wheel spin then the car should hook. If you were aggressive enough with the throttle it should be at around 3000 rpm or there abouts.

What I found with my car this past weekend was that even with a good 60' if you let the car hook below 3000 rpm you gain ET and lose mph at the big end because you've got to power through the weak section of the engine's power band.

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
^I agree, but more aggressive clutching works best 4 me.

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
I took .7 off my timeslip by raising my RPM's from 2k-3k and slipping the clutch. next run I did 4k, and it woulda been fine but I lost consentration and let go of the clutch too hard. Just spun em. If i sliped it like I did on the previous run I was confident enouth to take another .3-.4 off. This was at MDD@LACR this past sunday btw.

edit: im running on 18x10 bullits wrapped in 295/35/18 KDWII's

99Cobra#2468

Student of the Cobra
Established Member
viperbluelx said:
It's amazing to me that people are running regular street radials and complain about tire spin. LOL

Dude, I'm not complaining about tire spin. I am well aware that my street tires are shit for traction. I'm asking how to IMPROVE traction. I am aware that drag radials will greatly improve traction, just not in the mood to throw away a set of brand new tires until they are burned out. However, I posted a thread to get different opinions.

I will most certainly try reving to 4,000 rpms and slipping the clutch, and as I read, I should be coming out good around 3,000 rpms or so. I'll try it the next chance I get. Thanks!!!!!!

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
viperbluelx said:
You're not? Better read the thread title again. :poke:

It say, my tires are spinning and i need drag radials in a bad way. What DRs should I buy?

I recommend Nittos or BFGs cause MTs will break your IRS.

99Cobra#2468

Student of the Cobra
Established Member
viperbluelx said:
You're not? Better read the thread title again. :poke:

tire spin = statement of fact, which does not equal complaining. Not complaining, stating fact, my tires spin upon launch. Looking for OPINIONS on remedies for this, and so far, with the exception of yourself and another cool guy, the advice is greatly appreciated.

(1) drag radial
(2) rev to 4K, and let clutch slip out to about 3K and then be on your way!

Thanks for the input!!

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
99Cobra#2468 said:
not in the mood to throw away a set of brand new tires until they are burned out.

what i did was find two extra wheels to mount my DR's on...then swapped them out on the days i went to the track...

Users who are viewing this thread