I am 'Ruining' a Collector Cobra - The I'm making your low mileage stock cobra more valuable Build

95Cobra_Iowa

Established Member
But none of the first and second round modifications modernize your Cobra with 2023 era technology. Specifically, what mods are you planning to modernize it with 2023 tech?

Your quote. "My updates will be to modernize the car. What efficiencies have been had over the last 20 years? and make a new cobra with 2023 era technology or efficiency. Read @Bdubbs' post above.

Maybe making it modern is the wrong terminology to use. Making it more comparable to a modern GT500s performance is more like it. By no means do I anticipate making a better version of a new GT500. Just improve on the platform that the Cobra is. I want a Cobra, I don't want a new GT500.

There are 4 main areas to improve in my opinion.

1 - Power - 2.3 whipple is half the displacement of the 4.6 engine. That is in line with the displacement of the 2.65 supercharger on the new GT500. Keeping a stock throttle body setup should keep drivability as good or comparable to stock.
2 - Braking - My first thought is the 2000 Cobra R Brembo setup. This should improve the stopping power of the car.
3. - Cooling - A big improvement in the newer supercharger systems is the ability to get rid of engine heat in the intake air temperature. I haven't spent a lot of time figuring out an OEM like quality solution for this.
4. Suspension - I like the cadillacesque ride of the car, this is probably the least drastic move I'll do. Maybe just settle for a small drop with lowering springs. But would like to improve the handling of the car slightly or just make sure it doesn't sit like a 4x4.

Zemedici

Established Member
LOL! i have never understood this mindset - especially on a car as fun to drive as a terminator

Because this car will be 6 figures with the miles.

If OP wants to build a cobra, buy a driver.

The end goal is the same, having a custom cobra. So why do it with a wrapper car?

Just my .02

But his money his choice - in4build

LS WUT

Established Member
I’m with @Zemedici on this one. I have a low mileage coupe that means a lot to me because of the low mileage. It’s not even close to 500 miles, I don’t pretend that it is. However I have that cobra, and I also have a driver. So I can still drive a cobra, and mod, and do hood rat stuff with the boys. All I’m saying is, it’s not like you bought a yellow convertible to mod even if it were low miles. You bought a 10th anniversary, with 500 miles to turn into a driver. You could have bought a plethora of other cobras with higher miles, and at a cheaper cost. At this point I’m just spewing at the keyboard. Goodluck to you sir. I hope you get what you’re looking for and keep the car.

HPLouis

Established Member
Maybe making it modern is the wrong terminology to use. Making it more comparable to a modern GT500s performance is more like it. By no means do I anticipate making a better version of a new GT500. Just improve on the platform that the Cobra is. I want a Cobra, I don't want a new GT500.

1 - Power - 2.3 whipple is half the displacement of the 4.6 engine. That is in line with the displacement of the 2.65 supercharger on the new GT500. Keeping a stock throttle body setup should keep drivability as good or comparable to stock.
2 - Braking - My first thought is the 2000 Cobra R Brembo setup. This should improve the stopping power of the car.
3. - Cooling - A big improvement in the newer supercharger systems is the ability to get rid of engine heat in the intake air temperature. I haven't spent a lot of time figuring out an OEM like quality solution for this.
4. Suspension - I like the cadillacesque ride of the car, this is probably the least drastic move I'll do. Maybe just settle for a small drop with lowering springs. But would like to improve the handling of the car slightly or just make sure it doesn't sit like a 4x4.
That's not bad. With those mods, you can easily return to stock.

FJohnny

Established Member
For modern braking, handling and performance carefully remove the body and transplant it onto a 911 Turbo S chassis and running gear.

For max WTF??? wow factor put the Turbo S body over the Cobra parts.

To really do it right the Porsche should have under 500 miles.

Rambro

Established Member
If you want it to run with the newer stuff you’ll need an aftermarket blower. If you want to beat the newer stuff you’ll need something along the lines of a tvs, or 2.9/3.0 whipple on E85. An 8.5:1 compression 4.6 is a dog by today’s standards without E85 and 20+ psi.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Biggest issue with the New Edge is the interior is horrible. When the 05 came out it was night and day difference. You appear to have money, sell this car to a collector or collect it yourself and buy a 14 Shelby and go any direction you want with it. But I think you've gotten that opinion enough.

95Cobra_Iowa

Established Member
I worked with BCForged on the wheels to go to an 18" setup, they were able to Machine the wheels to accept the factory center caps. I wanted to keep the same color scheme as the 10th anniversary wheels. Here's a quick picture I was able to snap of the tires mounted, I'll get the wheels on the car and get fresh pictures.

PXL_20220824_151925837.jpg

mike69440

Established Member

I agree with you line of thoughts.
2.3 Whipple , with lots of radiator and HE, car does not heat soak.
Brakes. Other than pads and fluid my brakes stock. Ok on street, but my German Buick/ (Opel) stops just as well or better. I run Conti Extreme Contacts 255/45-27 front 285/40-18 rear. Rides real Caddy like nice, but if you to corner, not the way to go.
Great dry & wet hi-way & street rubber however. Reason I have not gone big brakes is don't want to scrap 17 front wheels & tires.
Bushing in suspension help., along with sub frames.

Users who are viewing this thread