I am 'Ruining' a Collector Cobra - The I'm making your low mileage stock cobra more valuable Build

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I came in to this thread thinking "ok great somebody bought a sub 10k mi cobra and is gonna have their way with it."

100% wasn't expecting a sub 500mi anny cobra

Those with low mileage cobras will thank you for increasing the value of their own

Make it a monster, drive it hard, and put it away at night wet and tired

Last edited:

95Cobra_Iowa

Established Member
Buy a corvette
IMG_20220310_181430.jpg

Not a Corvette, but does this work?

Last edited:

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
I wish I lived closer to see it at the cars n coffee… think people lose their minds over the interwebs?!?!? ;) you’ll be blowing peoples minds in person doing this to a practically new 10th termi.

Carry on man!!! :)

cobracide

Established Member
This is the big debate in my head. Whether to go with a 2.3 Whipple or a ported blower setup. I am going to leave the cats on, i don't want to go return style fuel system.

I've owned a 1000+hp Twin Turbo street cobra, which was a great car, but ultimately problems pop up with that much power. I'm fortunate to have another faster toy around. I want some more speed without sacrificing reliability.

My initial gut reaction is a 2.3 whipple with stock throttle body with the 3.5 pulley running 15lbs of boost.
Go ported, you can always go whipple 2.3 later. The more you push it, the less reliable it will be. Look for a Posi port for the best port, Steig is ok. Have mine all setup to go go whipple but never did it. 140k reliable miles on my cobra as a daily driver. SBTB really improved throttle response but dialing in the idle can take some work. (IAC voltage, ect.) An Aeroforce gauge helped a lot by displaying IAC voltage.

Keep all your old parts so you can swap them back in. You never know when you might need them, especially on a 20 year old car.

Have fun making it yours.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I just don't understand how you plan on "modernizing" a 2003 cobra to something new without swapping the motor and drivetrain?

Slapping a Whipple, intake and exhaust isn't modernizing it one bit. People were doing this basically right off the showroom floor nearly 20 years ago.

I personally have plenty of slow 215-300hp cars that I'm completely content with. But I do have a 03 that's fully modded on E85 and a 19 Shelby GT 350, so I have no reason to modify the other ones.

Different strokes for different folks.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

95Cobra_Iowa

Established Member
What do you have planned after the first round?
The date on the tires is 2003. So I don't think it's a wide decision to drive around on those much longer. Might as well switch the wheels out at the same time.

I may look at upgrading the brakes in short order as well to the Cobra R brembo brake setup. It's still available through Ford performance.

HPLouis

Established Member
The date on the tires is 2003. So I don't think it's a wide decision to drive around on those much longer. Might as well switch the wheels out at the same time.

I may look at upgrading the brakes in short order as well to the Cobra R brembo brake setup. It's still available through Ford performance.
I didn't know those are still available. I've got a new winter project. Thanks

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Go ported, you can always go whipple 2.3 later. The more you push it, the less reliable it will be. Look for a Posi port for the best port, Steig is ok. Have mine all setup to go go whipple but never did it. 140k reliable miles on my cobra as a daily driver. SBTB really improved throttle response but dialing in the idle can take some work. (IAC voltage, ect.) An Aeroforce gauge helped a lot by displaying IAC voltage.

Keep all your old parts so you can swap them back in. You never know when you might need them, especially on a 20 year old car.

Have fun making it yours.
Only concerns with that is one the less power, heat and inability at that point to put it back to stock. But 17'lbs on a ported blower sure is fun and sounds great.

95Cobra_Iowa

Established Member
Only concerns with that is one the less power, heat and inability at that point to put it back to stock. But 17'lbs on a ported blower sure is fun and sounds great.

I do have a stock blower and inlet off of a 5000 mile cobra sitting around. That is what has tempted me about sending it out versus upgrading to the whipple 2.3.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

But none of the first and second round modifications modernize your Cobra with 2023 era technology. Specifically, what mods are you planning to modernize it with 2023 tech?

Your quote. "My updates will be to modernize the car. What efficiencies have been had over the last 20 years? and make a new cobra with 2023 era technology or efficiency. Read @Bdubbs' post above.

ZiaRunner

Established Member
Agree. I understand it’s your car so you can do as you please but if your goal is to modernize, it never will be what a modern Cobra is. You’d be be better off ditching the dinosaur and pickup a 13-14GT500 (even those are becoming a bit dated technology wise) or a light years ahead 20+GT350/500.

It’d be legit to do the brake upgrade and some other minor bolt-ons to this one you have and enjoy it as the raw muscle time machine it is.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
Agree. I understand it’s your car so you can do as you please but if your goal is to modernize, it never will be what a modern Cobra is.
Good point, 11.1@130mph is impossible to achieve with an older Cobra lol

If you want to modernize an older Cobra my vote would be 5.2 Predator, T56 and Big brakes. Lighter and faster than new Shelby with the old school looks of Cobra. Godzilla with Twin Turbos would also be cool.

Users who are viewing this thread