I am out for the count....

BlackStripes

Established Member
So, this is almost a for-sale ad... :(

Yesterday, I got one of the worst calls I could ever get, my car was getting dynoed to fix a 10:1 a/f and the engine blew up.. well.... cylinder 1, let go. I am too tired to keep going with this, I am out of racing cars... not sure where I can get my speed fix, maybe motorcycle racing or kart racing... we will see...but i am out of cars, that's for sure.

Almost 3 years ago, at Summit Point, I kissed 1:25's a couple of times in my car with old Azenis and a drag racing front suspension (QA1). At that point AIX record was 1:24 and AI record was 1:23's :). I really didn't want to put R comps because I felt that the front suspension was too flimsy for a lot of grip. So, I decided to get the best front suspension I could get: I got the SLA from Agent 47.

The problem was that I had to re-route all my turbo piping around it... so I sold my old HP TT kit, save money for almost 1 year and I got a custom turbo kit, new billet 50mm's turbos, and all SS piping (my old HP kit was getting rusted!), wasn't cheap that's for sure!

Took the car to Summit Point again and the car was a dream to drive, my first lap or so, I wasn't sure if I was kicking the rear out because once it hit the apex the car would keep turning and turning, transitions were SO much easier... was an odd experience, I was able to take turns so much faster! Anyway... fast forward 30 minutes, the car was was smoking like a train! My turbos were done! huh???

I was mad!! But, since I tasted the way the car drove, I KNEW that I could beat AIX / AI record on street tires, no doubt in mind. So, there was a goal, and once I beat the record in consistent way, I'd get into AIX.

When I sent the car to the shop, they told me that the problem was that one of the heads was having issues and that was causing the turbos to not be able to drain the oil, too much blow by... so, engine had to come out. Again.... fast forward 10 months, a lot of savings, and engine came out, took the heads to rebuilt to the best shop in the states and got an aluminator shortblock from Ford.

Everything was ready, I bought an old F250 to tow the car, this time it was time to get serious!.... that was 800 miles ago....:??:

So, the car has to go, I don't want fix it, I don't have time, the money, I don't care if $1K fix the whole thing and I beat AIX record... I don't care, I ZERO interest.

So guys this is the time when you will get 10 times what you pay, if you know someone who needs a 'rolling chassis with a free engine' .... let me know, it took me 10 years and well over $50K but everything will go and I don't feel like parting out the car, I know i can get more $$, but again... i don't care.

thanks!

cobra4b

@ The Track
Established Member
Been there before... put the car in the garage under a cover and don't look at it for a month. After a month if you still want to set it on fire, then put it up for sale.

Stories like yours are why I now race a mostly stock car built to a specific class. When my motor blows up I can get a LS6 crate motor maniofld to oil pan for $3500. No constant fuggin' w/ expensive parts and custom stuff that racks up super high labor bills etc. etc.

BlackStripes

Established Member
I understand your point. One of the reason why I only use really strong parts. I had the car running for 3 years with zero issues... until I decided to change the suspension. I could actually get a new shortblock for $3K. But again... I don't want to do it, even if it was $1K.

Racing bikes/karts... you can demolish your vehicle and buy a brand new one for $4K... to rebuild a kart engine is like $500....

Again, at this point is not about money. But I will sort of follow your advice, only for 2 weeks, its gonna get covered and I won't even think about it. In two weeks you most likely will see an ad for sale.

BlackStripes

Established Member
Yeah, I love miata's, I had two, but again... not sure now, at this point, the thrill of this car will be hard to match by any car I am willing to buy. I can only see a bike or a shifter kart doing that job....

One the other hand, a guy who I know, just called me and he said that Ford will repair the shortblock for cost of the part (plus shipping of course), so for the new owner, might be a lot easier and cheaper now! I can give all the info to the new owner...

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Hector, I'm sorry to hear what happened. It wasn't my drool on your front end from last week when I saw the A47 that did it, was it?
You guys have any idea why it went?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Sorry to hear of your troubles but I think there are a lot more people that can relate to your story than you might think. :read:

Back in 2002 I bought a $42k car. Had a blast with it. Stuck $3-7k into it every year for 5-6 years. It wasn't fast enough, stuck a $20k motor in it. That lasted a year, stuck another $20k motor in it.

That wasn't fast enough so I bought a lighter, better, faster (potential) car. Stuck $40k in it. Wasn't fast enough, stuck another $10k in it. Motor wasn't good, pulled motor, currently sticking another $10k in it. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

I don't have enough confidence in either of these cars running up to my expectations, and I need a SERIOUS speed fix really damn soon.............so I'm buying a new Ford Racing Boss 302S.

I swear a crack or heroin addiction would have been a hell of a lot cheaper but definitely harder on my body!!! :idea:

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

BlackStripes

Established Member
thanks guys, things are really getting in perspective at this point.... its a hobby that I can stop anytime, bad things are happening in Japan now.

Anyway, I am still thinking that I am going to sell the car as a car without engine. I went to the whole getting a coyote engine, but that's another $8K that i don;t have and I'd need to save... no thank you.

About options after that... I think motorcycles are out, still thinking in a kart or a Dwarf car... we will see.

Gregg, no, it wasn't you hehe.. and no, we don't know what it was.

Anyway, now, is the deal of putting a price to a car that i can't be objective about hehe...

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
+1 Give it some time. As upsetting as this is, getting out now is losing you a ton of money. Letting the car sit for a few months and then making your decision is a safe bet. you don't have to outlay any cash and you can be sure whatever you do is not based on emotions. Emotional decisions are the worst. I think we can all relate to that. Hell if it's a track car, sell off all the engine stuff and turbo and throw in a stoked 351W. Done.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Sorry for the hit. I have seen similiar situations the past couple years with two friends of mine. I wanted to avoid that problem, that is why I decided to keep it basic and run my '90 GT and save my moded Terminator for street duty. I spiced it up a bit by running an IRS, but the rest is 21 year old OEM reliable. No AC, no smog equipment, no ABS, just simple and basic. I am loving it. If the motor goes I can find a replacement for $1K, no problem.

What about buying a used CMC or AI car, then running in those classes. Some door to door racing may be the fix you need without having to beat tracks best time records.

BlackStripes

Established Member
I wish going to a pushrod engine was that easy, I thought about it 2 years ago and it was really expensive change, new computer, wiring, possible bellhousing, different driveshaft..then what to do with emissions. My car passes inspections every year, heck I had to buy a new windshield a couple of weeks to pass inspection... grrreeat. seems like these days, going Coyote might be better.

About an all out race car, I don't think I am prepared, I live in Fairfax county and get a house with 2 car garage is a REALLY expensive mod :D

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
What is up with spendy motors failing so easily?!?! The 5.0 BB I installed last winter is rattling away after 4K miles and I'm in process of diagnosing it right now. Will most likely need to be pulled, a new BOSS block and pistons added...:burn: It's not like it's a radical or super custom deal either. :dw:

Sorry to hear of your troubles but I think there are a lot more people that can relate to your story than you might think. :read:

Back in 2002 I bought a $42k car. Had a blast with it. Stuck $3-7k into it every year for 5-6 years. It wasn't fast enough, stuck a $20k motor in it. That lasted a year, stuck another $20k motor in it.

Maynor

Established Member
Oh man Hector. I think most of us on here can relate to that exact same emotion.

I went through 3 engines and tons of money and got fed up enough to do the same thing several times. Best advice I could give you, like others... Don't do anything when your thinking with straight emotions. The garage idea is a great one.

What cured my frustration in the end was realizing I loved the sport too much to quit. I traded to a different, naturally aspirated platform and never looked back. I'm not saying switch platforms at all. Just figure out if you want to stay in the sport, and it sounds like you do, then decide how to do it.

For me, I took my hit to get back to NA and I'm thrilled. Now I just focus on correcting the nut behind the wheel instead if the car. It's hard to do seeing how much has been invested. Just consider it an informal cost of education we all go through. :)

Last edited:

Gray Ghost GT

Established Member
Hector, I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your Mustang and I feel your pain having gone through significant expenses with my own track car. You're too good a driver that's been bit by the 'road course' bug to give this up. I also recommend the Miata. You may *think* its not powerful and fast enough, but won't it be fun to pass much faster and expensive cars at Summit Point and VIR, and "ride" their rear bumper in the turns and esses?? LOL Hell ya! Give your self some time away from the car because your emotions are running hot right now, which is normal given the cost of this situation. In the end you'll find a way to keep enjoying this great hobby and enjoy the sport for what it is - a drivers challenge. Mike

Sirl

Established Member
What you describe is my biggest fear... I guess it is for everyone.

My 2000 GT has the entire MM catalog in it, but the motor/trans is stock except for the basic bolt ons.

Fast? not really, but I'll take reliable over fast any day.

Good luck with your decision.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Hector,

I'll echo several others on here, you know my story with my 99 Cobra. 4 engines, 2 tranny's, 3 rearends, 3 fuel setups, exhausts, suspension, cooling mods, electronics, etc. etc. etc. It never ended with that car. Did I mention it only had 24k miles on it??? When I took the car back to NA, it was the most reliable engine setup I had had in years on the track. But by then I had lost my taste for working on it. When I sold it for $13k, I had over $50k and almost 5 years of "love" into it. Most of us have been there, just give it a couple of months and make a sane decision. Getting rid of it might be the right thing to do, it might not.

-Kevin

PushinTheLimit

Established Member
Reliable, fast and cheap. And the catch is you can only pick two. That's why I went with a prepped C5Z. Not entirely cheap, but seems to be fairly reliable and pretty fast in the hands of a capable driver. I'll take reliability over anything else though.

Users who are viewing this thread