Hydrolocked engine

40th GT

Established Member
I was driving home through a storm one night and drove through standing water. The puddle probably wasn't big enough to cover your feet if you stood in it, but the tires kicked the water up at 35mph and let the engine ingest water. My air filter is in the fender because that's how the Vortech intake is set up. The engine did not turn over even with spark plugs removed, so I'm pretty sure it's toast.

I know I'm not the only one with a Vortech kit, or a fenderwell intake so I'm wondering how you guys are getting around this. Do I need to have a new intake tube made and move the air filter inside the engine bay?

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I don't think the filter placement is the problem.

Are you missing any splash shields/under body trays or fender liners?

If everything is intact, then you simply drove too fast through the water.

I've never had a problem with filters inside the fender, even low mount filters.

I have had several co-workers hydrolock trucks with factory airboxes by driving too fast through standing water.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
No, u just need to stay out of big puddles of water bro. A foot of water is a LOT at 35 mph WTF were u thinking?

All u need is less than 2-3 ounces of water to get into the cylinder to lock one up. If u were going slow its possible to drain the water from the cylinder so all is not lost yet but it sounds like ur were going pretty fast so thats probably unlikely.

Whatever u do do NOT try starting it again. Im sure ur battery is still good and ur starter has enough juice to bend a connecting rod so plz dont do that but they are likely already bent. Drain it properly and put oil back in it the cylinders and see if u can turn the motor by hand with socket on crank shaft.

Do I need to have a new intake tube made and move the air filter inside the engine bay?

40th GT

Established Member
I don't think the filter placement is the problem.

Are you missing any splash shields/under body trays or fender liners?

If everything is intact, then you simply drove too fast through the water.

I've never had a problem with filters inside the fender, even low mount filters.

I have had several co-workers hydrolock trucks with factory airboxes by driving too fast through standing water.

It looks like the tire rubbed a hole in the fender liner. Car is lowered on a Eibach Pro-kit and it may have had wide tires at one point, rubbing the fender liner on tight turns. I've only had this car for a couple months so I don't know the history. I picked up a new liner for the passenger side and I'll definitely go crawling speeds in rain next time.

No, u just need to stay out of big puddles of water bro. A foot of water is a LOT at 35 mph WTF were u thinking?
Nowhere in my post did I say I drove through a foot of water. Engine is coming out so I can assess the damage. I'm pretty sure at least one rod is bent and I wouldn't be surprised if I windowed the block.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
It's a tough lesson, but one you will definitely learn from.

Depending on your finances and plans, it seems like a great time to make some lemonade.

40th GT

Established Member
It's a tough lesson, but one you will definitely learn from.

Depending on your finances and plans, it seems like a great time to make some lemonade.
Seems I learn everything the hard way! I had picked up a WAP block and 6 bolt crank to start a slow build which has now become a priority build. I'm thankful to be able to recover from this but it sucks that I ruined a Teksid.

Users who are viewing this thread