Hydro-locked motor... need advice

sbird1

Fumbles
Established Member
Ok, so I pulled my motor today after it got hydro-locked last weekend. Got it out and on an engine stand and when I pulled the oil pan off, I discovered horror. My rear most rod snapped, shooting part of it out through the side of the block, some of it went straight up through another hole (not supposed to be there). Blah, blah, blah. Long story short, I need a new block, possibly more. I need to check the heads tomorrow. So my question is this:

Can I take a GT block (or a generic one) and attach my heads and the internals that are still good?

What do you knowledgeable folks suggest for the cheapest price? I'm in a financial bind and need to get this fixed as cheaply as possible.

Let me know what you all would suggest. Please don't tell me to build the motor while it's out. I do not have the money. I need to get this drivable again. Anyway, I can get some pics of the damage tomorrow if desired. Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Ok, so I pulled my motor today after it got hydro-locked last weekend. Got it out and on an engine stand and when I pulled the oil pan off, I discovered horror. My rear most rod snapped, shooting part of it out through the side of the block, some of it went straight up through another hole (not supposed to be there). Blah, blah, blah. Long story short, I need a new block, possibly more. I need to check the heads tomorrow. So my question is this:

Can I take a GT block (or a generic one) and attach my heads and the internals that are still good?

What do you knowledgeable folks suggest for the cheapest price? I'm in a financial bind and need to get this fixed as cheaply as possible.

Let me know what you all would suggest. Please don't tell me to build the motor while it's out. I do not have the money. I need to get this drivable again. Anyway, I can get some pics of the damage tomorrow if desired. Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

sorry for your loss, but more than likely the internals are all shot. Most shops will refuse to use any part of a motor that has a hole in it. Sorry to tell you this but there is really no cheap way out of this. You DO NOT want to fix it cheaply, last person that did that spent another 4K on top of the 1500$ he skimped on.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
buy a mark8 motor and a 6-bolt flywheel, put on your oil pan. and call it done til you get more cash to build your motor back up..

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
The trick is to do the best you can with the money you have. So I will ask before I try to answer your question. How much can you spend?

sbird1

Fumbles
Established Member
I'm looking to spend hopefully no more than $1500. I think I've figured out a way to do this. I can get a brand new Ford Racing block for a hair under $1K and then get new rings, pistons, and rods for around $700, but I'm looking for other options as well.

I've found this: ford racing 4.6L block items on eBay.com

Actually, upon a second look, stuff isn't even that cheap. Rotating assemblies are like $1800 from Summit. Bah! Someone tell me what to do. Should I just get another motor? I know of one I can get for $2500...

tt54l32v

Established Member
around these parts you can buy mark 8's for like 500-1000 that run and drive.
you could get the motor out of it or you could just drive it.
why are you in such a hurry, i mean really the money you spend slapping it back together could be spent on a decent dd. then you could save to build it right.
for whatever reason your in a hurry can usually be overcome with some planning.
Do you live in apartments that you dont need a broke down car sitting at.
are you trying to sell it
do you just need something to drive
How the hell did it hydro lock

sbird1

Fumbles
Established Member
Yes, I was trying to sell it when I locked it. Here's how it happened: I was driving back to school on I-95 last weekend when it was raining pretty good. I have a cold air intake (POS that I'm going to burn) that came with the car when I bought it. I went through a puddle at 40 mph and it locked up. Anyway, I will look into that Mark VIII motor.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
you can get a teksid block from a lincoln for around $300, bore it .020" and it will still be cheaper than the new ford block.

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
Yes, I was trying to sell it when I locked it. Here's how it happened: I was driving back to school on I-95 last weekend when it was raining pretty good. I have a cold air intake (POS that I'm going to burn) that came with the car when I bought it. I went through a puddle at 40 mph and it locked up. Anyway, I will look into that Mark VIII motor.

Just out of curiosity, which cold air intake does/did it have? JLT?

As for your situation I agree with the Mark VIII Motor for now.

sbird1

Fumbles
Established Member
I don't know what the brand is, but here is a picture of it:

IMG_1073.jpg

The intake goes down to right in front of the passenger side tire and then the fender skin hangs down and acts like a duct, so water just shot right up into the motor.

Toasty

Established Member
I don't know what the brand is, but here is a picture of it:

IMG_1073.jpg

The intake goes down to right in front of the passenger side tire and then the fender skin hangs down and acts like a duct, so water just shot right up into the motor.

Thats a JLT CAI

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
Yea...that cold air intake was worth what? Nothing but a new motor...thanks for playing straight tube and all over stock......

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
First, you should have called your insurance company before pulling the engine. A friend of mine did the same thing with his Z06 and insurance paid him $6800 for new long block. You may need to check with insurance company anyways.

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
As much as everyone reeps on the JLT......I personally think it's over rated fro a street car and very dangerous to and engine in wet conditions. This isn't the first time we've read the JLT sucking up water and vavooooooosschhhh! I had the JLT but I put the filter up under the fenderwell above the tire. Worked well, till I went with the C&L.

Last edited:

sbird1

Fumbles
Established Member
First, you should have called your insurance company before pulling the engine. A friend of mine did the same thing with his Z06 and insurance paid him $6800 for new long block. You may need to check with insurance company anyways.

You have to have collision for it to be covered by insurance. I did not have collision on the car. Sucks to be me.

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
not sure of all the conditions.. Guy I know personally was on his way to church and part of the road was covered in water. he drove in slowly to see how deep it was and then when he noticed that it was too deep he backed out and the water rushed above the bumper cover and his Ram air kit sucked water in and hydrolocked it... no collision... insurance paid for new long block.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
As much as everyone reeps on the JLT......I personally think it's over rated fro a street car and very dangerous to and engine in wet conditions. This isn't the first time we've read the JLT sucking up water and vavooooooosschhhh! I had the JLT but I put the filter up under the fenderwell above the tire. Worked well, till I went with the C&L.

any cold air intake that puts the filter deep into the fender can have this happen, not just the JLT...

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
not sure of all the conditions.. Guy I know personally was on his way to church and part of the road was covered in water. he drove in slowly to see how deep it was and then when he noticed that it was too deep he backed out and the water rushed above the bumper cover and his Ram air kit sucked water in and hydrolocked it... no collision... insurance paid for new long block.

I'm not calling BS on you but the dude didn't have collision on a Z06?

Users who are viewing this thread