hydraulic slave cylinder Tremec magnum xl bolts

benzopyrene

Established Member
So successfully managed the clutch install after the first issue. Today pulled the tremec out of the box got it onto a trans jack and under the car. Went to put the hydraulic slave cylinder on and when I tried to screw the bolts on from the MT82 slave cylinder I get pretty good resistance. It seems they are too short. Anybody do anything specific at this point in the install? Washers? or new bolts? Also anybody have torque specs for the tremec bellhousing ....actually all of them for the tremec because there is nothing included with the tranny. Its not rocket science to figure out where this stuff goes, but when the bolts dont fit it concerns me :) Anyway, slowly plugging my way through. When I am done with the whole thing Ill try to do a write up with the issues I faced and the information I got from different people along the way....with some pics of course. Cheers!

benzopyrene

Established Member
Okay I found some torque values....gotta love the internet. However, seems like the space between my bolts and slave cylinder is because I didnt put on the alluminum spacer from the MT82 over to the tremec magnum xl.....didnt do it because the JPC website says not too and the email I have says not to reuse it on the magnum....so still confused at this point. COuld only find 1 or 2 pics of a magnum xl slave cylinder online and one has the spacer installed and the other doesn't. So no help there!

Steveespo

Established Member
Measure the distance from the face of the spacer to the mount face of the MT-82 bellhousing. Do the same on the Magnum (face where TO slave will mount to the bellhousing face. If the dimensions are the same you don't need a spacer. You want this dimension to be within .010" ideally. You will need shorter bolts, I think they are M6-1.25, take to hardware store and compare, use at least M8.8 grade. Keeps the clutch engagement bite point and release of the clutch correct.
Some MT-82s have a spacer some don't so the measurement of your stock setup is key.
Steve

DrTriton

Established Member
You should talk to whoever you bought your trans kit from, but it's always good to verify where the slave is in relation to the fingers on the pressure plate once the clutch is installed. If you don't get the slave installed in the right place you could end up having problems. Ideally you want 0.100 to 0.200 inch gap between the fingers on the pressure plate and the front face of a FULLY COMPRESSED slave. Take a few minutes and verify it before you install the trans.

I'm in the middle of swapping all my hydraulic parts over to the '13 GT500 stuff (plus an aftermarket SS braided line); I've been pulling my hair out with shift issues using the factory GT stuff. If you upgrade to the GT500 slave note that a spacer and custom bolts need to be fabricated since the Magnum XL bellhousing is longer than the OEM one.

The factory '13 GT500 master cylinder is also a worthwhile upgrade (larger, aluminum bore instead of plastic), if you can find one (they are on back-order).

My trans swap has been a royal pain in the neck to get working properly - between speedo issues, shift issues and aftermarket clutches, but I think I finally have everything sorted out after many hours on the phone with McLeod, Tremec, SVT, Abbott, and Dakota.

benzopyrene

Established Member
thanks guys. went and bought some new bolts today just in case. I mean the project isnt that hard in itself its just that there arent good instructions......Im hoping to change that when Its all done here and make some, but I can really only work on this on the weekends, and cant ever get a hold of JPC on the weekend.....figure they are off, but I will get the question answered on monday by them...then wont be able to work on it again til the weekend, and might have another question....its just tough. Not a knock on JPC, as I am all for people having their time off, just would be nice to have a little bit better instruction on some of the smaller parts, and maybe a rotating weekend person to answer tech questions. You guys have all been a big help! Thank you!

The other thing is I went from a stock clutch to a Twin disk RXT so I gotta figure that makes a little difference as well.

Users who are viewing this thread