Hurst Shifter

MystCobra

Established Member
A Mr. Gasket tech just replied back to me that the Hurst Shifter is available and on the shelves at Hurst Shifter dealers. Has anybody purchased & installed one yet? If so what is your judgement on it? What is the price? Is there anybody that will do a group purchase on it? Thanks

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd personally go with either the Pro 5.0 or Steeda Tri-Ax. They've been out for some time now and buyers seem to be very pleased. Hurst is a little late.
:rollseyes

dun4791

Established Member
pm itpphoto i think he has installed one, or at least knows th answers to your questions

Lyle

Tomcat427

I know I need a cage :)
Established Member
I couldn't resist, had to go with the Hurst in my Mach 1. I also have the Chrome Hurst stick and T-handle.

I have a Mach 1 with Hooker Headers, Hurst Shifter, and 4.10 gears.

Not bad for a 2003 model:beer:

Tomcat427

I know I need a cage :)
Established Member
Thanks Jim,

I haven't been able to line up to an 03 Cobra. I would be fun though.:)

itpphoto

Established Member
Finally was able to order the Hurst shifter today from Summit $185. They are drop shipping directly from Hurst. I'm the first one to get one (so says the Hurst tech). I supposed to get it tuesday next week and will post the results.
The Hurst part number is 391-3056.

MystCobra

Established Member
ITPPHOTO'
I was given the part # 391-5036. Can you confirm the part # you were given is 391-3056? I may have been dislexic at the time and wrote it down wrong. Also, do you know if the Hurst shortens the throw any? I put one in my Z06 and it shorten the knob travel by about 30%, it is a little stiffer but not much. I want to order one ASAP if you can confirm the part # for me.

Thanks

itpphoto

Established Member
Sorry, I'm the dislexic one, you are correct it's 391-5036. I tried to edit my post but couldn't. It is supposed to shorten the throw but I'm not sure how much. As soon as I get it I'm going to install it and I can let you know. I have been waiting for this shifter since I got the car (12-02). I'm also planning on putting a flat Hurst stick on it and a rubber boot for a retro look. I can post a photo when I finish. This is the link to the reply I got from Hurst last week.
http://www.mrgasket.com/maildirect/helpdesk/problemdetail.asp?id=81940&TicketID=81940

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
I aw the Hurst shifter on a Bullit,,It looks awesome..I like that retro look for a Bullit or a Mach1 but on my 03 Cobra the Tri Ax or Pro 50 is the best

03reptile

Established Member
I'm also interested the Hurst shifter. I always had a soft spot for the longer shift handle & white knob that was standard equipment on so many muscle cars of the late sixties. Will it be a retro look?, if you know. Will keep an eye out for your upcoming post and opinions.

itpphoto

Established Member
Mine will be the retro look with the billet shifter underneath. I'm replacing the standard stick with Hurst re-placement stick number 538-8550 ($55.00) which is the chrome flat stick with Hurst on the sides. I'm putting the regular T-handle on it but there is a 6 speed white ball available (I don't have the part number handy). Also I ditched the leather boot and am putting the black rubber Hurst super boot under the console. So this combination sounds like the retro look you want.
As soon as I get done I'll post the photos.

dun4791

Established Member
Frank,

We missed you today--great cruise,could have been longer of course. I dynod out at 407 hp 383 tq and 406 hp and 385 tq back to back runs.

Later--cant wait to see that shifter- Lyle

itpphoto

Established Member
OK, I got mine today and installed it. Was too dark to get a decent photo so I'll have to post one tomorrow. According to Hurst, "You're the first one to get one" as they drop shipped it directly to me. The box was from another shifter (5 speed) and had kind of a make shift sticker on it so it had the right part number on it.
Very nice quality, went in easy, I did the retro look and put on the flat handle and rubber boot as I posted above along with the T-handle. Really looks nice and shifts great. I'm glad I waited to get it. If anyone has questions let me know. I'll photograph it first chance I get.

Last edited:

MystCobra

Established Member
itpphoto,
Thanks for the update. I think I would like the "retro" flat handle with "HURST" down both sides if that is the way it looks, but not sure if I want the "T" knob or 6-spd round knob. If I could see some pictures of your setup it might help me decide which way to go. Was it very hard to change the round handle to the the flat one or can you order it with the flat one already attached? Part numbers would be a great help to. Thanks again for all the help.
Chuck

itpphoto

Established Member
Shifter Update

OK, heres photos and part numbers:
Billet Plus Shifter - 391-5036, Chrome flat stick - 538-8550, Super Boot - 114-7494, T-Handle shift knob - 153-0019, or Black 6 speed ball - 163-0140. The chrome stick is 3/8 corse thread, if you use the Hurst handle that comes with the shifter it's metric. No shifter ball is included with it although the stock shift knob should work. The flat stick easily repalces the one thats included. I did take out the extra spring as per the Hurst instructions because otherwise it's REALLY hard to get it into reverse. My set up here duplicates the same set up sold by others out there for over $300. My guess-t-mate is $174 for the shifter, $25 for the boot and about $25 for the shift knob. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread