Hurricanes and Generators, what's the best way to go?

sono

Established Member
I live in South Fl and it's that time of year. I wanted to share my dice roll on a military gen set and see what others are doing.

My latest purchase was a 2008 fermont 10kw military enclosed military generator. It has a 9 gallon fuel tank and a 4 cylinder Onan diesel engine with 375 hours.
I rolled the dice and spent 3500 bucks and shipped to a place called Fastenal. 300 bucks shipping store to store and it weighs 1250 pounds.

I plan on running a 5 ton ac and a 2.5 ton ac along with limited lights etc. Soft start capacitors on the ac units.

These units burn .9 gallons an hour max load and can be driven to almost double their rated power for short duration. Also they are almost honda noise levels. I will take some db measurements and post later.

My previous solutions included to honda 2000i in parallel along with a 7kw silent Chinese diesel. To me if you can't run your AC your screwed, so I needed more. Homeowners association, so no buried tanks or natural gas hookups. This solution might solve my issues. Got it running with 2 agm batteries wired at 24 volts. Purred like a kitten.
It also has a auxiliary fuel pump to grab gas from a 50 gallon drum or whatever.

I'll post pics and results the further along I get.

I posted a link of the overload test some guy ran just to show it's capabilities to those looking for solutions.

I also considered a new 17,500 Generac whole house portable for 3k, but at 85db and 2 gallons an hour gas,it seemed like a bad solution.

_Snake_

Established Member
Hate to say it, but right off the bat it doesn’t sound like that generator is big enough to run the 5 ton AC by itself. How many surge watts is the AC? And the generator?

FYI, I ended up with that 17.5kw Generac so I could run my 4 ton AC.

sono

Established Member
It's 10kw , but with a 4 cylinder diesel . If you look at the amps this guy is pulling "67" that should be enough. Also thats the max your Generac does and it will only due 12.500 from the 50 amp connector. So really portables are locked in at 12,500 by default because you can't get the power out through the connector.

This is why I'm posting because I might have found a solution that's cost effective

_Snake_

Established Member
How many surge watts is your AC?

And gas or diesel doesn’t matter when it comes to generators making power. Far different than pickup trucks.

My generator is rated at 26,500 surge watts.

coposrv

Established Member
Not being able to run of your natural gas is retarded.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Not being able to run of your natural gas is retarded.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
We don't have that here, and if we do, it's very limited to certain cities. Now, FPL our electric here is all NG fired and the main lines come down the intestates. No need really because we don't need it for heat.

Users who are viewing this thread